3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fox Triple Crown  (Read 630 times)

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fox Triple Crown
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
just wanted to see if anybody has one of these. Mine is 50#228 and Im having a heck of a time getting an arrow to fly right. I dont know if its due to where the bow is cut of center or Im just not holding my mouth right. Ive tried what I thought would work, stiffer and weaker and nothing has been satisfactory for me yet. Im drawing about 28 1/2
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fox Triple Crown
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Describe the arrows you're using...bop, spine weight, tip weight, etc. Don't think it is the bow. The Triple Crown bows are excellent bows. I believe Larry Yien shoots one. Usually is the arrow not probably fitted for the bow or the shooters form.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
What kind of rest is on the bow ? And do you have another bow that you shoot at the same weight, and do you have any issues when shooting it(release or form issues).
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Ive tried 5575 gt, 7595 gt, 150 Heritage, 250 heritage, 2018 aluminum, 100 to 220 grain points (some have brass inserts). Arrows are 29 - full length. The rest material is just a piece of leather. I thought about putting a softer material but theres just not a lot of shelf there to begin with. Any suggestions would be great. Ive been shooting a long time and cant believe I cant find an arrow to fly right from this bow. Im using a black widow tab and a double nock set. thx
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I'd be happy to give my 2 cents if it's helpful, I've been shooting GT's out of mine with really good luck.  Right now I'm shooting 3555 gt trads and they are flying great with field points and broadheads.

I'll look up the specifics but just by reading your stats it sounds like the arrows you are shooting might be a tad too stiff.  Though I would have thought that the 220 gr points would soften up the spine.  But sometimes goofing with the foc can change the dynamics.  So off the cuff I'd say try the 3555 for starters.

L
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Thanks Larry. I dont think I have any of those but I might. I'll check tomorrow. Maybe Im just way stiffer than I thought. Might see if I have some full length 150's.
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Ive not shot that specific bow,  but in most all of my 50-55 bows I can get CE 150's,  29" to fly right by just changing front weight a bit.   Generally the CE 150's with 175 or 200 FP  fly great for me out of bows that would be very similar in poundage/design to your Fox.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I can't tell you exactly,for your bow and you but I shoot that weight out of several bows and I would need 220-250 gr point with aluminum adapter to work on 29" 5575's.

For 2018's,I would need app. a 175 gr point with aluminum adapter.

Forget 7595s.You will need more than 400 grs up front,including insert.

I would start with one shaft,like the 5575 and change only point weight.You may be changing too many things at a time and just confusing the issue.I don't know what method of tuning you are using but I'd go to bowmaker.net and read that tuning information and note,he stresses-only change one thing at a time.

Shoot those 5575's with 220 gr heads.If they show too stiff,get some heavier heads.Start with 250's.You can customize head weights if you need too by using glue on field points with various weight adapters.Once you get it figured out with one set of arrows,that will help you figure out others,if you decide to change.

Just figure out the 5575's first.If you decide to switch to 3555's you would probably want to start with 75-100 grs less point weight than what worked best with the 5575's.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
thx so much for the replies guys. the 7595 I shot was full length (32 3/4) and had a 220 point. I was tihnking more on arrow weight but thought it might work. Still a little stiff. Im gonna go thru the few dozen arrows I have this evening and see if I have something in the 400 spine longer where I can play more. I agree with the concensus that I am overspined.   :goldtooth:
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
BOHO I see where you are headed with looking for a good arrow and also a heavier one.  I too have opted for heavier heads and stiffer shafts to accomodate such, it's a recipe of sorts.

I have noticed that sometimes when I load a shaft up with a very heavy head it can result in funky flight or worse yet a bad impact.  But you just have to test them in the bow and pick a good combination.  I've also opted for a weaker spine and maybe a 145 gr head but weighted the shaft with weed whip line or a weight tube to add the weight.
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Larry and Tom,
I'm shooting 2114 X7s cut to 30.625" for my 29.5" draw and using 125gr. points. My Triple Crown is 64" and 51# @ 28" draw. It does have the carbon option. These arrows are flying and grouping well.

Regards,
Rick

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks Larry and Rick. I just checked and the 355 trad's are only 7.4 gpi. Im gonna need a lot more arrow weight for a 50# bow as I like to shoot at least 8.5 to 9 gpp and preferably 10-11. I think the issue Im having is the shelf isnt cut very close to center and therefore the spine is gonna be harder to get right. I do have more aluminums to try and might have to go that route, be it a 2016,2117 or whatever. I think the only shaft I dont have is a 2114, imagine that. lol   :D   Thanks so much for the help guys. If I find one that will work for me I'll be sure to post it up so we can talk about it. Tom
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
BOHO I really understand what you are saying and I'm right there with you!  The carbons are on the light side, I looked up the specs on the heritage and the 150 should be in line with the 3555 on spine but they are heavier right?

That said the aluminums give me more mass weight closer to cedar.  As you state the 2016 is the arrow I usually use in the 50-55 pound range.  In fact my 2016's, 3555's and cedar arrows impact about the same spot on the target.  Of course there is some variation due to weight.

Let me know how it all pans out.
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
thats why I like the CE 150's,  .487 spine,  10 gpi,  and I can get them to bareshaft out of anything 50-55.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I have the 150 and 250 Heritage. I do prefer them to the gt's due to they are heavier I believe. Bad thing is I bought the 150's used and they were already cut to 29". I have changed the way I am shooting thx to The Accuracy Factor and The Masters of the Barebow dvd's and am now drawing longer. I need a 30" arrow anyways so I might just start all over while Im in the learning stages. Heck the St Judes Auction is coming up soon. cant think of a better reason try some new arrows.  :)   Once again, a big thanks to everyone for their help.
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
ok. I just ordered 1/2 dz 150 Heritages 33" long. I bet I can get them to fly right   ;)   That gives me a project to do in the rain this next weekend.
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
got home just before dark and managed to shoot a few. found a 2117 4" 4 fletch shield cut that was 31" and a 125 point. It was a little stiff but not by much. Im gonna weigh it and add a heavier tip tomorrow evening and see what happens. I think I have quite a few 2117's in the back. If I get em to shooting good, I'll save the 150's for deer and use these for hogs.  :)
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
heres what I shoot 250 ,s  31 " 200 gr point Tc 68" 52@30 bullets best bow I have ever shot
The older I get the better I was

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
thx Elk !!
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
only had time for a few shots after work today. added a 175 point to the 2117 but its still too stiff. I'll try the 220 tomorrow but Im betting its still gonna be too stiff. my 150 Heritages will be here friday. I'll post an update tomorrow in case anyone is interested.
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©