3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gettin' Excited - Ray Hammond's Hog Heaven  (Read 3674 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gettin' Excited - Ray Hammond's Hog Heaven
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
27 days for me...can't wait to hear the stories!
Mike Davenport

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Giv'em Hades guys...and a couple of broadhead tipped arrows  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Holy moly!!!

Turkey hunters run over by coyotes and two delewarians saw and stalked 25 hogs Friday. Another hunter shoots at a nice hog but got a deflection- I am expecting some dead stuff this weekend!

More later
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
25 stalks in one day would slam wear me out. Hope they recovered a few. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Bring on the reports!!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Not one shot- what can I say? Amateurs!!!    :bigsmyl:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Ahem, you might want to correct that Ray.  

But yes, I did not take one shot.  I did, however, have pigs at 12 yards, 15 yards, and 20 feet.  The one laying down at 20 feet, facing me was awfully tempting.  Too bad most of his body was in a hole.  Just putting the stalk on the group with Phil was worth the trip.  When all ten of them busted out of there, you couldn't have beat the smiles off our faces.

Once again it was an absolute blast.   I hunted hard and left it all in the woods.  More later.......
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Kyle are you home already? Wow that was fast!

Cory and mike got into about 20 this morning but no shots either- some at five and six yards!!!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Smartphone.....

Good guys for sure.  Amazing how you can be so close and not get a shot.  That's what I love about it.....opportunity is there.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I HATE TURKEYS !
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Rod Witkos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Dang, we got another 8 hours drive.
Amateurs? Misfire says we're only in WV, we can turn around and come thump ya. ;-)
“'I don't go into the woods to "rough it"; I go into the woods to "smooth it". I get it rough enough in the city.'

Horace Kephart, 'Camping and Woodcraft'; 1917”

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Squirrel Bait:
I HATE TURKEYS !
:thumbsup:
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
BTW, whoever gets Mike T's bow in the bow swap is in for a treat.  I got to see three of them.  Incredible talent.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
It was the wierdest weekend I can remember.

There were absolutely tons of hogs spotted but no one was able to connect successfuly...brush, trees, wrong angle, just a host of stuff.

It's turkey season, so there's no corn spread out- this is all wild and wooly spot and stalk...

I actually saw the biggest live pig I've ever seen on the place in over 30 years- and he's still alive! What a brute.

Everything else I ran into had little squeakers with them...so we're going to have some nice herd increases going forward the next 12 months!!!

The turkeys are going wild!!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
Dennis Allman has some more 'splaining to do' about a feathery nemesis.

Online Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Thought I would check in, before unpacking and working up this bird; what do I find--my name mentioned. Can not tell the story, was not a "bow kill". What I can say, I have been to Ray's HH twice over the past three weeks, and have taken two gobblers. Ray and Mike both know their turkeys, and were a great help. I was blessed on both hunt, since I have some serious knee problems, and can not do the run and gun type hunting.

I have not seen a hog/pig yet, I am not really sure there is any there--ha ha. That will change in the future, will have to return some time when turkey season is not open.

Enjoyed meeting you guys from MA, DE, OH; hope everyone has made it home safe.

Ray, Mike--Thanks for a Great Hunt.

Dennis

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Congrats sir.  When I got back Sunday morning I told everyone you got your bird.  I knew just cause I heard the boom.......

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I feel your pain Mike, but ya know, turkeys need love too!!!!

The 10 that Kyle and I got into was a wet sow and her little ones, (had one tag along) so not really a shot opportunity.  Great fun was had by all (even Mike, though he won't admit it, turkey's got his goat).  Gorgeous scenery, lots of wildlife.  To quote that famous actor turned governor, "I'll be bahk!!"
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Had a GREAT time! Even if the wife was a little upset I didn't bring home any "armadillos" for her. Maybe I'll just have to take her so she can try to get her own. I told her I was after hogs not armadillo pics. lol It amazed me that you could get soooo close to the hogs and not be able to find an opening for a shot. It was nice meeting everyone and Ray don't worry if I come back my hat won't be coming with me! I'll find one that's a different color!  :bigsmyl:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
TURKEYS ! AARRGGHH ! Quoting my friend Biggie : they deserve a face full of #6's , and that's what they are gonna get !
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©