3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Lives but Bow Dies???  (Read 416 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hog Lives but Bow Dies???
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Different kind of hunting story here....just looking for info before I contact the bowyer....

I was set up in a very likely place, and had a couple of hogs coming to me Saturday evening, one was all but sausage when the wind did an about face and they scaddattled out of there....

As it got down to the last 20 minutes of good shooting light, I thought I'd stalk my way back to my truck through the bedroom.  I'd made it about 2/3rds of the way back with about 5 minutes of shooting light left when I caught 4 hogs milling in the road and I started my stalk.  At one point they turned and came straight to me, but then one didn't think things were good in that direction so he turned the other three around and they trotted a bit and settled back down....after letting them 'cool it' for a minute, I hurried up to them as they were all facing away from me...

I got to within 15 yards of the closest one and the furthermost one gave me a perfect broadside shot about 17 yards away.  I bared down on him and had him dead to rights till my release....

CLANG-SMACK-TWANG!!!!!

I was so immersed in the shot I even followed through, and the hogs were so shocked they didn't even leave till the arrow, now it two pieces held together only by the vane of the feathere, hit the ground.

This has never happened to me before with all the arrows I shot for years and years.  The arrow was new, but I must have damaged it somehow in all the clutter of the past few weeks of shuffling stuff around in my car.  Anyhow, I ended up with a hairline crack in my riser.  Its a one piece bow and the crack is only on one side, the bow quiver side, and I can feel it...kinda like a little 'bur'. The riser is made up of 3 lams.....bacote, zircote, bacote in sort of a flare pattern, and the crack is in the middle lam the zircote.

Just wondering.....is it salvageable or is it just a wall hanger now?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Lives but Bow Dies???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
It probably is salvageable. I wouldn't shoot it anymore until I got it fixed though. NO bow is worth an injury.
James Kerr

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Hello Terry. I did the same thing,but it was my fault and the arrow stayed on the shelf and I ended up dry firing it and got just a thumbnail crack. The bowyer was kind enough to look at it and he sanded it down and refinished it,but he said it would probably come back and it did. I didn't want to spend $375 to have  a new riser built so I took a dremmel cutting wheel and cut down in the riser about 1/16 or until I thought the crack was gone and then mixed up a batch of epoxy and put it in there and when it dried sanded it down it doesn't look like new,but it works. The bowyer thought it was a good idea.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
The whole thing was like a dry fire I would guess, if that was the case I would wonder whether its got damage further inside the bow. If the arrow absorbed most the energy(depending on how far it went) and it cracked I think its deeper than it probably looks. Just wait Whip will be along shortly.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
I can't answer your question but sorry it happened. It stinks when these "things" happen. I hope it is salvagable for you.

Bisch

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Worst case they might be able to drill it and epoxy a peg in it to hold it together...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Damage in the riser but not in the limbs? I had a dry fire from a nock coming loose this last summer and it caused one limb to twist slightly. If it cracked the riser I'd be inclined to send it back and ask the bowyer to inspect it. But, I'm a teacher, and not mechanically inclined. Good luck Terry.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Terry your not the only one, bout 20yrs ago I hit anchor on a cottontail and let rip.
The riser of the recurve exploded in my hand.
No damage to the rabbit or myself.
It was a three piece takedown. I was able to salvage the limbs.

I do have another bow with a crack in the riser and still shoot it from time to time. But I did send it back to the bowyer after noticing the crack. You should probably do the same.
Bill

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
No matter how good the fix I would always be wondering about it in the back of my mind. Complete trust in equipment goes a long way in this game.

Sorry to hear it.

:(  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
The guys on the trad history and collecting forum fix most any flaws.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Terry, sorry about your bow.  Probably should get something new.  Even if you repair it, you will alway worry about it breaking at the worst time on that special hunting trip.
Gordon

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I had a carbon limb collapse on me once.  I was scared to death, but the first thing I did was pick up another bow to get it out of my mind.  I recently had a string slip off a static tip also. Not nearly as bad.  The bow is easier to fix than the psyche.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
If it was truly a "new" arrow, I would give the company a call. Worst thing they could do is laugh and say "yeah right".

Hope for the best with the bow and them were some lucky pigs....... This time!   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
That is terrible luck right there.  I will have to inspect my arrows now a little bit mor carefully.  Hopefully it is salvageable
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Naturally,contacting the bowyer would be a good thing.I would bet it is fixable.Loctite 420 and a couple clamps can do wonders.

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Terry,

If the bow has a crack that you can see and feel as a result of this incident, then the tell tale sign is there for damage to the bow that most likely cannot be repaired. Sorry for your misshap but it happens, even with new arrows and new knocks. I have had it happen several times. I came out luckier than you with my bows though.
  You should discuss with your bowyer. Best of luck! - jwingman

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Sorry to hear it. Last year I had a bran new 3 day old custom recurve. I accidentally dry fired it and blew one of the limb tips completely off. Fortunately it was td, so the bowyer made me a new set.  300 dollars later...
Hope you can salvage it.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline MAGICMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
B.s. on not salvageable! Get some fine watery superglue from woodcrafters and fill the crack. It will penetrate all the way down or dremel it out and glue down a piece of phenolic and sand to shape. You will be good to go. I had a split in my riser on the shelf and the Boyer did this. Good as new. I never had any trouble out of it! Jmo!!
Judge not less thee be judged yourself.

Offline MAGICMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
If your gonna hang it on the wall send it to me & I'll shoot it!!! Lol!!!!!
Judge not less thee be judged yourself.

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
sorry that happend. hope it all works out for you

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©