3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why Snakeskins on Bows  (Read 669 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why Snakeskins on Bows
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
How well could YOU hunt with no arms or legs?
I admire the heck out of a snake, they are cool hunters, stealthy, can go just about anywhere, can taste molecules of scent in the air, can sense heat and track it down. I saw a snake catching minnows in a creek. I saw a snake raiding a starling nest high up a dead tree. Snakes helped me keep the rodent population down in the barns I worked in. I like the way they move, and like the feel of them in my hands.

I find them beautiful, and their scales remind me of beadwork, in colors and patterns that I am not artful enough to think of. God made them, made them in infinite variety, and infused them with beauty and ability. Yes, I admire them and their Maker. I like them on my bow. I think it makes the bow look far more alive than a blank face of carbon.

Killdeer    :archer:  
Amen to that Killdeer! Are you married already?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I admire the heck out of a snake, they are cool hunters, stealthy, can go just about anywhere, can taste molecules of scent in the air, can sense heat and track it down. I saw a snake catching minnows in a creek. I saw a snake raiding a starling nest high up a dead tree. Snakes helped me keep the rodent population down in the barns I worked in. I like the way they move, and like the feel of them in my hands.

I find them beautiful, and their scales remind me of beadwork, in colors and patterns that I am not artful enough to think of. God made them, made them in infinite variety, and infused them with beauty and ability. Yes, I admire them and their Maker. I like them on my bow. I think it makes the bow look far more alive than a blank face of carbon.

X2
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
I guarantee one thing...if I had them on my bow and laid it down to hang a stand or something, I'm sure sooner or later it would scare the dickens out of me when I stepped close to it.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hoyt:
I guarantee one thing...if I had them on my bow and laid it down to hang a stand or something, I'm sure sooner or later it would scare the dickens out of me when I stepped close to it.
haha, that's what I always think. I love the look of them and have often contemplated skinning a bow....just don't know if I can do it. I know I'd scare myself!

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
do whatever "floats your boat"... thats why i put copperheads on my roberston fatal styk z. its hard to beat natural camo from an animal and it looks cool!.. oh yeah and that  means theres 2 less crawling around our woods!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I haven't got a clue   :dunno:  

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Sweeet looken bows Ryan
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
perfect- snakes are misunderstood by most (imo) and aren't nearly as threatening as most would have you believe. Skined limbs are super camo to me, but I would hate to hide some of the beautiful veneers I have seen on some bows. personal preference.

Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I started keping snakes in 4th grade and actually still do so now at 49. Consequently, it does pain me some to see them used in this way. (Still . . I'm thinkin' copperhead skins will look nice on whatever trad bow I end up getting)  ;P

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
I love snake skins over a solid colored glass on a bow just for the beauty, but with clear glass I love to see the grain in the wood veneers.
James Kerr

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
why not?

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Glass bows I like some good looking wood. Self bows gotta be skinned. I think it's the way it was meant to be. At least that my favorite flavors
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Why use exotic veneers?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »

In my opinion, it transformed my 'Green Machine' Pronghorn into another level of cool.  It absolutely looks great to my eye, and I think absolutely camouflages it although I've got it shined up a little.  

It was my first attempt at skinning a bow, and I think I got lucky in making the decision to paint the limbs black before putting the prairie rattler skins on.  But I did that because the riser was green/black laminate.  While down at the United Bowmen of Missouri banquet last month, I talked to Mike Yancey who said the color under the skin is VERY important to the final project.  Keep that in mind.

But I LOVE mine!!!
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »

A couple more pics of the Green Machine, as well as one of another Pronghorn I wouldn't dare put a skin on.  Both beauties!
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
When I ordered my Talltines I was just going with the black glass limbs. But when my 12 year old son saw pictures of limbs with skins on them he insisted that we get some on the bow. It did cost extra, but Wow they are cool looking. I guess a combo of the "Cool Factor" and also the natural camo are the reasons I went with the skins.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
David M. Conroy

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Sometimes the ride ain't the only thing that gets pimped.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©