3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stupid new guy bow selection questions  (Read 356 times)

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
Stupid new guy bow selection questions
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
First of all, great forum. Secondly, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize. I didn't see a section devoted to this.

By the age of 20, I'd probably flung more arrows through a compound bow and spent more time in the woods and 3d range with one than most avid hunters/shooters do in a lifetime. But, i've only toyed with traditional archery in the past.  After a long break from hunting, I've started getting back into it but I've outgrown my training wheels and want to switch to full time traditional archery.

I need a cheap bow to get me started this summer. I sold a Martin hatfield a couple of years ago and I've shot a few more recurves through the years. They've all suffered from what I've learned is "stack up." I don't have an extremely long draw length but I shot about 30" with a compound. From what I understand, a longer bow might be better.

So, long story short, I'm looking to find a smooth shooting used bow. I'm thinking probably recurve since the better longbows seem to be a bit pricier (I may switch later). So do you guys have any recommendations for an older bow for a little longer draw. I'd like something in the 45-50# range. I just don't know which bows are good shooters and which are crap. I'd like to stay under $200 to get started and the cheaper the better.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stupid new guy bow selection questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
IMO, 45-50 to start out would prolly be too heavy. Id find something in the 62-64" range around 35# or so. Id check 3rivers and other places to see what they offer. A Samick would be a nice starter bow but Im not sure if they make one that long. I know the Sage is 62".
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
If you shoot a lot, your poundage should be fine.  All the guys that have picked it up around me have been happy with 50#. Longer bow definitely.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Tox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Personnally, I find it much easier to shoot a longbow. In reality, I haven't been able to shoot a recurve to save my life. The Martin Savanah is a great bow that won't break the bank. It's better to start light than too heavy. A 40# savanah should be around 47# @ 30.
We use inefficient tools by choice, precisely because they are inefficient. Making them more efficient defies our original intentions.
Dave Sigurslid.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
look for a good used bow.  there are plenty around.  Seriously consider a John McDonald lonbow (if you can find one)  they are relatively inexpensive and are very good performers at any cost.

Whatever you choose,  have fun.  That is very important for long term enjoyment of this gig.

Most younger guys can handle 45 pounds pretty well and even 50-55, although a lot depends on you.  Don't overdo it to start.   You will get stronger fast, but can develop problems really fast too.  Maybe borrow one for a few months ?

Good luck
Shoot straight
ChuckC

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Welcome.  You've come to the right place and will get great advice no doubt.  For what it's worth I was in your same position about 10 years ago and looking back on it this is what I would have done different.
1#  For a bow, I'd set my budget and watch the classifieds here until I found a bow that fits the need and cost.
2#  The vast majority of bows today will shoot better than we can.  For $200 you're limited, but once you get to the upper echelon of bows, you won't find a dimes worth of difference between them from a performance standpoint, therefore it becomes a matter of fit and aesthetics.
3#  I wouldn't go over 40lbs at my draw length for my first bow, no matter how strong you are.  You will save yourself a ton of time in the learning curve of trad shooting by starting with a light bow.
You will get more advice from guys more knowledgable than I, but these are my suggestions.
Good luck.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
This weekend I had the pleasure of teaching a very proficient compound hunter-he was in my trad class. He brought 2 bows with him; a 50# longbow and a 42# recurve, neither one was comfortable for him we concluded.
We got a 25# bow set up and that was ideal for him to shoot with good form. By the end of an hour this gent was shooting well and focusing on a spot.
Most compounders who are any good shoot with excellent form; and in order to compensate for the huge let off it helps to start out with a low# trad bow.
Guys especially may balk at going down that low but lower is better than higher when it comes to preserving good form and transitioning to trad archery.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
I would start out with an ILF riser DAS,Morrison, or Hoyt you can buy limbs at a reasonable price and as you progress you can have lighter limbs for target and heaver limbs for hunting and having a riser your use to....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Thanks guys. To clarify, what I'm hoping to do is find a decent shooting older bow to shoot this summer and hunt with next season. By the time Santa starts loading up his sleigh, I should have a good idea of a nicer bow to put on my wish list.

I actually have a 45# black bear hanging in my shed with a bow fishing reel on it. I just want something a little better to play with.

And I understand what you mean about the poundage and form. But, I've shot maybe a little more than I implied. I've always shot lighter poundage than I can handle, even with my compounds. I feel pretty confident with a 40-50# recurve.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
You might check out Rocky Mt. Specialty Gear (sponsor here). They show several longer recurves in the 40-45 pound range in their current inventory. They are great guys, and probably could help you with a decision.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Just my opinion but it sounds like you are asking specifically for bow recommendations.  If I was you I would look at bear grizzlies.  The used ones come cheap and are great shooters,  I draw a shade over 29 and have no problems with stack.  I would not take love or money for my 71 model.  Just a thought, any of the old bears are good shooters for the money usually, You might want to take a second look at that old black bear you got hanging in the shed. With some arrows matched to the bow it just might be a pretty good shooter.  Lot of guys are still killing a lot of game with old bear bows.  Take care,  welcome to the campfire and good luck in all your endeavors.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
There are no stupid questions.

Welcome from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Yeah if you are looking for a good recurve at a good price, check out a used Bear Grizzly, great bows, great prices and a lot of animals have fallen to the Grizzly! IMO, the older the better!

I would also look into a any Big River made by John McDonald, top notch bows!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
For a general recommendation longer is better. Go with at least 62" like you're old Hatfield or longer. Then just look for a bow that meets  your weight, length, and price on this forum and others and other bidding websites that will remain nameless.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Just want to say again, this site is awesome. I'm a forum junkie, but I never expected to find a traditional archery site that is this active.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by team fudd:
Just my opinion but it sounds like you are asking specifically for bow recommendations.  
Yep, that's what I'm after. I just don't have a lot of experience with the traditional bows other than the few I've owned. Just trying to get some recommendations to look for on a decent used recurve that will work up to a 30 inch draw or so.

I've seen a lot of the older Bears for sale. I'll keep searching them.

Or maybe you're right. I might get my old black bear out, take the bowfishing stuff off of it, and play with it while I save my pennies for what I really want. I haven't shot it in years, but from what I remember, it shot pretty well.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
It sounds like your present bow will work.  Look at a Martin Jaguar recurve.  They are cheap and have a compound
Riser.   You can buy extra sets of limbs later.   One of the guys in our league shoots lights out with his.   I beat him by 20
Points last night.  He beat me by 12 last week.  We trade off for first place depending on the week.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
I have a Hoyt buffalo it's not a low priced bow but man it's a sweet shooter. I also have a bear grizzly and second the recommendations for one. They can be had on the auction site or on here at times. It's a sold shooter but the buffalo shoots were your looking better for me

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Alright fellas, stupid question #2:

Do longbows have the "stack up" problem like recurves? They're generally longer bows so it seems like they might not.

By the way, I pulled my old black bear out of the shed and the limbs are a little twisted. It was that way when it was given to me 20-25 years ago, but I couldn't remember how bad it was. Not sure I want to spend much time shooting it, although it always worked fine on fish.    :D

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Welcome to the best site in the world!!! Expect to be respected!

Longbows and Recurves can stack depending on a lot of variables I've found.  That old Black Bear will kill any deer just as quick as any Black Widow ill garuantee it.

I second the Samick Sage, great little cheap bow for sure, i have one as a back up.

I would say that with most bows if  you stay above 62" the "stack" will be a thing of the past
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©