3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tab recommendation  (Read 503 times)

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
tab recommendation
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
I have shot with a glove for years, recently started playing around with tabs. Not very familiar with tabs, know just enough to know that I want to commit to a good one.

Been using the black widow tab. It seems pretty good, but I would like to get one that is maybe a touch thinner. Also thinking I would like a metal/plastic one with replaceable leather.

Was going to get the cavalier lite, but I thought I heard you cannot easily replace leather.

Any ideas for me?

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tab recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I don't know how thick a BW tab is because I've never shot one, but I use a Bateman cordovan tab. For me, they're not too thick and not to thin.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I've shot mostly gloves also,but tried a Fred Eichler cordovan tab. It is very thin a slick.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
I shoot the Saunders Pak-Tab. It can be very thin or thicker, depending on how you assemble it. It also requires no breaking in and is waterproof. Oh yeah, it is very slick too.

Bisch

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Check out Scott Teschner in the sponser classifieds. He makes some good ones.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Chuck from Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
EW Bateman, Caviler and Sanders all are durable and eill give you a clean release if you do your part. I use the caviler they last for years. They are a piece of aluminum that fits in your palm with the tab material attached. you can buy just the tqb material if yours gets worn.
Chuck

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Hey Chuck- Have you ever noticed your top or bottom lip sting after the shot when using a Caviler? I have one and like it but I always get slapped or something? I haven't figured out if it's the string when released or if it's something with the tab.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Snakebit40 - I had the same problem.  I just rounded and smoothed the corners of the tab at the index finger and use a deep hook.  No more issues.

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I have also always shot a glove,been playing around with eichler tab havent committed to it yet.But it is thin and very slick.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Bateman
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
x4 on the bateman cordavan. they have one with and without a suede liner. you'd probably want the one without.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Another vote for Bateman cordovan.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
X2 for Scott's tabs - a sponsor:

http://wyomingwildlifeartistry.com/WyomingWildlifeArtistry/Finger_Tabs.html

It is fairly thin (1 ply), well made and easy to move out of the way with the O-ring. Seem to be shooting better with it than the 2 ply cordovan batemen I had (which I do like), but could be in my head.

Not personally a big fan of the widow calfhair - a lot of material (I cut out the finger spacer) and the calf hair ripped on one of the fingers.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Old Chief:
Snakebit40 - I had the same problem.  I just rounded and smoothed the corners of the tab at the index finger and use a deep hook.  No more issues.
Thank you! I'll give that a try tonight    :thumbsup:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I would say Bateman cordovan, but the last one I bought, from 3 rivers, was much thinner than any I had bought prior to that. If the next one I buy, straight from Bateman, is as thin as the one from 3 rivers, I might be looking for a different tab also.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Bateman here too. I modify mine to be like the old ring tab, with an o-ring like what Scott does Very user friendly. The ones Scott makes look great and I was going to order a couple from him but the Bateman has the finger spacer ( which is removable) I am used to the finger spacer and just didn't want to change anything. I also have noticed a difference in the thickness of the leather. Have thought about giving the Saunders PAC tab a try they look really nice.But, I believe if I were just starting out with a tab I would have to get one of Scotts.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
If you call Bateman he will make you one as thick as you want.He made me two with .060 thick face.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
I don't know how thick a BW tab is because I've never shot one, but I use a Bateman cordovan tab. For me, they're not too thick and not to thin.
So do I.
and they last and last and last and last and last and last.

No need to worry about replacing the leather.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
I like my black widow 3 under tab
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
I like the Saunders Pak-Tab as well. It comes with four different layers you can add or delete to fit your preferences. Very durable and very slick surface.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©