3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are your FEAR'S when hunting  (Read 2121 times)

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are your FEAR'S when hunting
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
We have a lot of mountain lions and it is illegal to hunt them here.
We have a lot of drug cartel pot groves--not good to stumble onto.
wouldnt be so bad if we were allowed to carry a side arm, but that is not allowed during archery season.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I think I'm with Terry on this one. The farm I hunt on is off a busy two lane highway that people drive WAY to fast. Lots of deer are splattered along this stretch of road. I worry that in the early morning hours that a deer will run across the road and the on coming vehicle will swerve into my lane. I never relax until I turn off that darn road.
Glenn

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
No real fears, more like concerns.  There is a saying in ultralight backpacking circles that you "pack your insecurities". In other words whatever you pack a lot of is where your concern lies.  I pack a lot of water/electrolyte fluids (3-5 quarts), food (2-3 high calorie sandwiches, 4-5 clif bars, trail mix), and a great headlamp.  So, I'm always hoping I have enough food, water, and daylight or battery life to get home.  Especially the food and water, I've found that the better the shape I'm in, I can just keep going as long as I have food and water.  Conversely, if I run out it can turn into a real forced-march type thing.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
"Drive-By Bandits"... Let me explain:

While black bear hunting in Central Maine our guide gave us this advice... "I'll come to pick you up after dark right here. When you see the headlights don't just jump out to the road! Bandits know where all the stands are and show up at dark and may rob you at gun point. Stay hidden, wait for us to call you by name, then come to the truck."

Interesting, don't ya think? Till this day, even hunting in my own back yard in The Catskills, I'll not get near a vehicle at night while walking back home on a dark road...    :dunno:  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
BIG FOOT!!! lol

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
my biggest fear is people who will shoot at any noise or movement they see. I got shot in the hair once(back when I had hair) It doesnt get much closer than that.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Cougars & bears are rare in Texas. No worries. Opposite for rattlers. Not afraid of snakes but they can make you do stuff you wouldn't ordinarily. Getting really lost freaks me out!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
After a days hunt and I am walking 3/4 of mile back to my camp, sometimes I think about the rare big cat, or the pack of timberwolves that is in the area. But that really is part of the spice of life to me.

Maybe because of my age, I am more fearful of a slow, painful death in a nursing home.  Having watched my mom hang on to life for years, I know I want no part of that.

Perhaps it is because I can prepare or do something about the first scenario and really not much about the second one.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
When elk hunting in the high country, those wicked lightning storms and if still hunting deer, being shot by a hungry hunter.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
We have wolves packs in the Cascades (Central WA), Selkirks (NE) and Blue Mtns (SE), and grizzly in the first two, but Black Bears and Cougars are more prevalent everywhere, because hunting with dogs was legislated out. Probably time to start carrying when bowhunting afield. Then there are pot growers in National Forests, and idiots breaking into vehicles at trailheads and camp sites. In SE Oregon, along the Idaho and Nevada borders, cattle rustlers are a problem.   :dunno:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Releasing a bad shot and wounding an animal and then not finding it.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
I hunt the mountains here in CO by myself a lot, so I worry about falling and hurting myself, bought one of those SPOT emergency beacons this year, that eases the worries a lot. Other than that, I worry a bit about my camp getting ripped off by the lazy and meth heads.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Falling out of a tree is my biggest. I keep planning on going ground only but chicken out because we EAT MEAT.... lots of deer.

Living down here you would`nt think it but I hate snakes. Have had a LOT of close calls. RC

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Not much I'm afraid of where I hunt, except falling out of a tree or tree stand. I use a safety harness but there's still always a slight chance of falling at some point or another when you're off the ground.

Also, I sometimes fear having a confrontation with a trespassing hunter that could turn violent. You just never know what kind of people you can run into. I've seen some pretty heated arguments concerning who's land is open/closed to whom for hunting.

I have no fear of snakes. Call me stupid for that one, I guess!

I would fear getting lost, especially at night, and in very cold weather, while hunting a new and vast hunting land.

Lastly, I have more than once feared going hunting with a friend into the morning darkness and blindly climbing into a tree only to notice, at first light, a bald-faced hornet's nest hanging from a branch right next to my head and it's still warm in early autumn!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Getting lost without enough food    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:    :bigsmyl:

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Dax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Lightning and high winds...don't like those at all.

Offline Dave1437

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I`m afraid some fool will come along and wake me up before I`m ready.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Waking up from a dream just before I shoot a P&Y buck, Mt Goat, Elk or moose.    :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Definitely falling out of a tree stand. I'm afraid of heights. That plus getting lost.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Getting shot by another hunter. Happens way too often around here. My faith in God allows me to trust that whatever happens, I and my family will be alright. But ... nobody wants to be gut shot & left to die by some slob. Oh, and drowning - that's another way I'd just rather not go.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©