3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are your FEAR'S when hunting  (Read 2122 times)

Offline flcrkr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are your FEAR'S when hunting
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
Think my two biggest fears are 1) getting lost and 2) bears-grizzlies or blackies. Been as close as 150 yds from a grizz and to me that's too close.

Offline RainyDayBows

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »
Walking back to camp after dark . I have seen a few cougars on the coastal range in California.

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
I have had face offs with bears and mountain lions, I have tripped over a new badger dig and blew out my back, I have had anxiety attacks from pain after struggling for miles to get back to the road, I have left a bow behind because I thought I was having a heart attack, (some unknown other person now has that bow). what scares me more than anything is sharing the woods with the inline muzzle loader group. one of them shot at a deer an hour after sundown and straight towards me, another time one of are group was nearly hit when a deer came close him and two muzzle shooters tried to shoot past him to get the deer before he could shoot. They knew he was there because they tailed us out and sat on a hill above him. I cannot tell by looking which ones will be dangerous and which ones will be safe to hunt within a mile of.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »
You notice how many state their concerns about drug dealers, meth heads, and bandits? You need to make your own choices concerning your personal safety and the weapons you possess. There are two legged predators in every location, it will be up to you to defend yourself and your family. train hard, hunt hard.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
i hunt mostly alone. i sometimes think about snake bite. taking a fall and going down injured. cutting myself badly.
while not hunting related one time in the bush i hit myself in the knee with an axe that was shaving sharp. saw my own bones that day.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
My biggest fear is losing another hunting spot that I have SOOOO much time and experience into. I know here in Eastern Mass. all areas are eventually sold, posted or developed.
I don't have many areas to hunt anymore, and its always in the back of my mind that I will lose another precious spot.
David M. Conroy

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
a crotch full of chiggers !!!

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by bfrbmj:
I was not too happy to hunt during the October snowstorm this year.  Trees were falling everywhere.  Wouldn't climb my treestand and left after an hour or so.  The woods got wrecked and I actually had a deer go by me on my way out of the woods and did not even think of taking a shot...
Same exact scenario up here during that storm! I was headed to the powerlines. I think she was headed for the golf course...Doesn't matter, we were both getting the heck outta there!
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm a bad diabetic, very dependent on my insulin pump.  My biggest concerns revolve around me having a problem related to low blood sugar.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
I guess my biggest fear is having the "Big One" while I'm out there and not being found for a long time.

That's pretty much it.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
I can't say I'm to scared of critters ( even though they've seen several big cat's around here lately ) I'm more worried about who I'll run into. I've been packing a pistol for years during bow season. I usually don't ever go to the wood's without one. It's better to be safe than sorry!

To many looney people out there these day's!

Jason

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Never had a fear of anything with four legs. My only concern is the two legged anti version. Came back to the truck one night to find my driver side mirror shattered. That was a $78.00 replacement, I removed every membership sticker I had from the truck and park a little farther from the road now.

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Brown Recluse Spiders...aka fiddle-backs...my grandpa got bit by one when I was younger and I have never been the same after seeing the pit in his leg that the venom ate away....rather not see a clown in the woods either...I don't like clowns
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
I always hunt alone and a long ways back in. I don't consider myself scared of anything where I hunt. Although having serious heart problems, when I get real cold and start feeling weird ...I change my mind.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
ever since jumping to the ground from a 16' platform stand, WASPS!!!

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
My biggest fear by far Is wounding an animal. Prior to 2009 I had wounded one animal In 24 years of bow hunting (hit a bear In the foot In 1991). In 2009 I wounded a 150's whitetail and again In 2011 I wounded a 120's whitetail. The 150's buck I just plain and simple missed my spot and hit the thicker part of the shoulder blade. In 2011 I did everything right when I released the arrow. Upon Impact the buck moved to go chase a doe and hit him on top of the back In the spine. Off he went, he lived just fine. After having not so good of luck the last 2 out of 3 years It's In my head constantly now. I have a huge mental game going on now In my head.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I wouldn't call it scared but I don't like the thought of falling down anywhere.

I lost the use of my left lung as the results of a fall taken right here in my home.

I sure do worry about wounding an animal.

The very thought that I can cause suffering makes me very cautious about the shots I take.

I have found a couple of old camp sites that were cause for concern. If I am correct there was some kind of meeting/ritual took place there satanic in nature.

So I'd say running into anyone who isn't of sound mind(especially if they are carrying a weapon)

I was black bear hunting in Arkansas and returned to camp to find one really strange dude looking things over.

Did it spook me?  You betcha! I was all alone since my two friends were on a trip to a local town picking up supplies.(supposedly...lol but that's another story..lol)

I built a nice fire and a scarecrow of sorts to sit around the fire then I backed away and positioned myself under a nearby cedar tree with my weapons in hand, just in case.

Looking back on it, it reminds me of the movie "Home Alone!"...lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: when I said a strange fellow.. I don't mean just a little bit strange.. he made the hair stand up on my neck for sure.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
Quote from favorite T shirt

"I live with Fear everyday, but somedays she lets me go fishing"

Falling, drowning, getting lost, and people who shouldn't own guns freak me out.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Where I hunt I am most concerned about Mtn Lions either at night or dusk. But I am rarely afraid - just aware and vigilent.

I have had one experience that creeped me out and I never saw what did it. It was there, it was stalking me or in some way a danger. I will stand by that. My 6th sense was working in overdrive,  hair was up and skin creeping...! It wasn't the woods, it wasn't the shadows. I love all that. It was something else.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Jaypo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I fear walking into a banana spider web with the spider on my face!  It has happened a few times (I think I live where they originated!)  Other than that, the only things I fear while hunting are the things that I don't see.  If I see a 20 ft diamondback before I stumble on it, I'm not worried.  If I see a mountain lion (and have the means to survive an attack, IE my Bowie knife or a gun), I may get an adrenaline rush, but I'm not really afraid......okay, I lied.  I'd probably piss a little.  But I'd gut him like a fish if I had to!

There are not many bears around here other than small black bears that are rarely seen.  Bobcats- I can put them.  Coyotes around here are small also.  Nothing my bowie knife can't handle.  Basically, I may get bitten up by the things around me, but I'd win those battles!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©