3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side cut vs center cut bow shelves.  (Read 171 times)

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Side cut vs center cut bow shelves.
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Which is more accurate or easier to get good arrow flight.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side cut vs center cut bow shelves.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I wouldnt say 1 is more accurate than the other.But center cut bows let you shoot a wider range of shafts there for making them easier to tune.Normaly with a bow that is not center cut you have to shoot a weaker spine.Hope this helps....
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
If my memory is correct, Jim Phoen who designed 21st Century Bows and studied this kind of thing, thought 3/8" from center was most accurate.  I was surprised by his opinion.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by stickbowmaniac:
I wouldnt say 1 is more accurate than the other.But center cut bows let you shoot a wider range of shafts there for making them easier to tune.Normaly with a bow that is not center cut you have to shoot a weaker spine.Hope this helps....
What he said.

With the correct spine arrows, neither is more "accurate" than the other.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Minor hyjack: The shelf and how its cut is at least as important too. One that will allow easy customization to your form, the arrow, the deepest part of the grip etc help a lot in accuracy.
I think you want to look at the two things together.

Hijack out!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
For me, I find a bow that is cut 3/16" past center allows one to shoot a variety of differently spined aluminum arrows.

After that, all one needs to do is find the right point weight and fine tune by adjusting brace height.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
My fav bows are cut 3/16 past. It may allow for a greater variety of spines-however your set up is either tuned or it is not-I think they mean you can use a greater variety of carbon arrows.
It does allow for a stiffer spine which should mean faster paradox recovery and maybe better energy transfer from the bow. Does that mean more downrange energy and penetration?     :dunno:      :dunno:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Bjorn,  

Quicker paradox recovery means that the arrow should shoot a bit flatter due to less energy lost to flexing.  Though this is very minimal.  It also means better penetration at close ranges due to less energy loss on impact.  The less an arrow is flexing in flight at the point of impact the more energy it has available for penetration.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
If you get used to shooting a more side shot bow, then go to a bow that is dead center or past center, you may find like I did that when the bow is tilted more, your eye is not in line with arrow when your shots are on target. I get the arrow pointing left of the the line. It seems that longbows like to give the arrow something to fly around if the bow is canted.

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
I tend to cant my bow to the right when I shoot and find that when I switch from a side cut bow to a bow that is cut past center my arrows will hit low right.  

In my case, I either have to hold the bow more vertical or build out the arrow plate to compensate (in fact, at the league shoot this last Monday, Clay mentioned that I was over-compensating for something, that must've been what he was talking about... :dunno:  ) for the center cut difference and get my arrows back on target.  

Brad

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I cut all my bows 3/16 past.The advantage is you can get a wider range of arrows tune properly.Accuracy is not the purpose.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©