3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how hard to switch from RH to LH  (Read 141 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
how hard to switch from RH to LH
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
I got surgery a year ago on my right shoulder but I seem to be redeveloping symptoms. I'll be talking with the doc soon.

Currently I shoot RH and am R eye dominate. How hard would it be to switch to LH and how long would it take shooting regularly to be able to be "hunting good"? I'm fairly athletic and I do throw LH, so that shoulder is decently developed, though obviously everything would be different.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how hard to switch from RH to LH
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
My advice would be to buy an inexpensive lightweight LH bow and practice practice practice. I shoot RH occasionally and at short ranges (12 yards or less) I would not hesitate to hunt using a RH bow. I am all lefty except swinging a bat and hitting a golfball.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
I always heard try to shoot with your eye dominance,but it doesn't sound like you are going to have an option. I have a hard enough time much less having to learn with the other hand.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
I switched from RH to LH shooting in 1996. I had been shooting RH since the mid-1960's.

I dropped 20% in draw weight to begin the switch. I took a couple months of daily shooting to get ready for hunting season.

In the work I do I've helped about 200 archers switch from RH to LH over the past 9 years or so (out of about 4,000). All of these switched due to dominant eye issues. Some, say have become better shots in 2 days than they've been their entire archery lives. I've found women to be more willing to make the switch than men.

The good news about switching is you have an opportunity to re-learn how to shoot.  If you have any undesirable habits or form flaws on the RH side they disappear on the Left if you know what to do and then do it.

I've also personally found this is the most instantaneous fix for target panic. It is gone on the first arrow. Now, you have to know what causes TP and then re-organize your thought process to prevent it from developing on this new side.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
I have had issues with TP in the past, so I can see that being a positive as well. I'm hoping I don't have to make a switch though. After I talk to the doc I will have sme information to decide.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
As stated start out light. I switched due to eye dominance. I shoot everything left handed now, bow ,flintlock, rifles, handguns. It's not difficult but does require time and effort. Also, not sure about switching to left hand with dominate right eye.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©