3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Dreamcatcher vs Hunter  (Read 459 times)

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Dreamcatcher vs Hunter
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
If you were to choose one of these bows and they were both the exact same price, which would you choose? The Martin Dreamcatcher or the Hunter?

Offline duffer1565

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Dreamcatcher vs Hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Dream catcher is a lttle shorter than the hunter and has more working recurve at the end so I would think it would be a little faster. The hunter has been around and made the same for over 40 yrs so they did something right with it. If both are the same price or money not a factor I would choose the Dream Catcher .
60" Firefly 48#@28"
60" Big Jim Buffalo 48#@28"

58" BW PSA IV 48# @ 28"
58" Firefly Messenger Static Recurve 47# @ 28"

Offline TRT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
I had a similar decision several years ago.  I chose the Hunter.  I thought is was a bit smoother and faster, but I have not way to prove that.  It simply appealed to me more and fit me better.  I would suggest that you choose the one you like the best and do not look back.
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (ESV)

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Either. :)  I shoot a Mamba and also have a couple of Rebels. The Martins just seem to fit my hand good.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Dreamcatcher. I have both. But, my favorite of the Martin bows is the Gail Martin classic Takedown. I'd bet the Mamba is faster than Dreamcatcher or the Hunter. But I've never run them through a chrono. (nut)  :bigsmyl:
Rich Potter

Offline cleopatra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I had a hunter and I still have a mamba. Put it this way, I really regret selling that bow.. Both bows are awesome.. Good luck.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
If it was me, I'd pick the Hunter over the Dream Catcher because the Hunter is the longer recurve.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
When Martin first introduced the Dreamcatcher I thought that was the best looking production bow out there.  Over the years I kind of forgot about them and purchased a Hunter.  

What a wonderful bow!  I absolutely love shooting my Hunter and would replace it in a minute if something happened to it.  I don't think you can go wrong with any Martin bow.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
A buddy of mine had the Hunter and it shot really fast and hit hard. I recently sold my Bear Grizzly because I wanted to upgrade. My only concern with the Hunter is the black limbs. On my Grizzly, it started showing stress lines. It had the black limbs and they were very visible. I know the Hunter is a lot better bow than the Grizzly so I'm thinking that probably won't be an issue. I've never seen the Dreamcatcher other than online but from what I can tell it is a really pretty bow. So I was considering it because according to a lot of the research I've done, it and the Hunter have similar performance.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Dreamcatcher all day long. It feels smoother when drawn and released. The grip fits me better. Much more appealing appearance in both wood combinations and riser profile (no weird lumps below the grip). The 60" length is just a bit more manueverable. Add a Selway slide on quiver and you have a nice package to take hunting.

I had both and sold both. I only regret selling the Dreamcatcher. It was my "President Bush bow". I bought it with the $300 rebate Bush sent out several years ago.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Can y'all post some pics of your Dreamcatchers? I can't tell much about what they look like on the websites.

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
I love my Dream Catcher.It is by far my favorite bow.Honestly, I like it better than most customs I've been around.

It's the one on the right   ;)
Here's another...

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
I have never owned either, I do have an X200 & it's a pretty good bow.
I'd pick the Dreamcatcher, I think it's very pretty bow.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Sold my Dreamcatcher a few years back.  Sold a couple different Hunters.  Boy do I wish I had never sold the Dreamcatcher.  Much nicer bow in all respects than the Hunter.  The Hunter will stack before the Dreamcatcher also.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I forgot to mention, I shot my all time best 3-D score with my Dreamcatcher.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
From what I've seen they look great. Keep the pics coming.

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
I own and shot both.  I have both in a 60 lbs draw weight.  As stated the Dream Catcher is the best looking.  Both shoot very well.  But for me the Hunter is my go bow for hunting.  It is faster, seems more stable, no hand shock and I just shot better with it.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I would look for a Howatt Hunter with brazilian rosewood riser from the mid sixties to very early seventies. I like the grips better from that era and the fit and finish on the older Hunters is much better than what Martin is putting out now.

No doubt the Dreamcatcher is a nice bow, but I'll stick with my older Hunters.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline GoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
The DC would be my choice...  But I'd really rather have a Super Diablo.  Much better looking bow IMO.  I could never warm up to all those angles in the DC riser...

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
This has probably been linked to before, but it is a cool video called Making A Martin and features the Dreamcatcher.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©