3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ***build your perfect bow***  (Read 503 times)

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
***build your perfect bow***
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
:thumbsup:   just curious if you could build your perfect bow for hunting mainly but to be fair for any purpose how would you do it details woods specs riser limbs ecct!!! ?? hope this will be fun
!

i'll start it off

64" string follow longbow carbon back,belly,small handle 4.75" around throat cut slightly past center slight dish grip carbon takedown sleeve cottonmouth skins back low fifties!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ***build your perfect bow***
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Ralph if I could built a bow that suited me I wouldn't be spending money for someone else to build it for me..just saying....lol

I will be watching the replies from those who can do what I can't.

Good off season discussion question.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
The perfect bow in my mind is simple. I almost have it now in the Eaglewing talon. I have the 58" version but the 56" would be the perfect lenght I think. I have always loved handle forward designs. It just seems to be more accurate in my hand. I am talking strickly as a hunting bow I would like a 56" handle forward bow in the green action wood color. I have alway like that sort of grean camo in a bow.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Ralph I'm to fickle to choose...  let's be honest   :)  

I have my go to and they are R/D longbows all 2pc carbon td's...  the diameter is not as important as the wrist (med,low) and width as I shoot with a loose grip. But now that I'm building a few bow and experimenting my perfect bow is the next one that's done???

I would have thought for sure Ralph you would have said perfect is the one the USPS just dropped on the porch   :)  

PS...  Who would you choose to build your dream bow?

"64" string follow longbow carbon back, belly, small handle 4.75" around throat cut slightly past center slight dish grip carbon takedown sleeve cottonmouth skins back low fifties!!"

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
A Wes Wallace Royal,  68 inch - 50 @ 28.  Carbon on the back and belly.   Copper head skins.  Extra fancy curly myrtle wood riser and belly veneer.  Two piece take down.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies fun is my only intentions lol that is unless someone can build it   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Truth is there are many fine bowyers that build great bows and I've had a bunch of them to me the string follow design is the most forgiving to shoot quiet and fast enough especially with carbon thinking out loud here!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
I'm a fan of long limbs.

It's too bad Norm Johnson of Blacktail Bows or Wes Wallace of Wes Wallace Archery doesn't build a 68" take down or one piece recurve with a 19" riser and 24.5" limbs.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Hunted with a northern mist Shelton first part of the season last year hit everything I shot at before climbing down practice shots anyhow hit a vine with arrow the only shot I had at deer with that bow,seems like it would be a easy bow to build with carbon and reinforce the riser for center shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
64" reverse handle  cocobolo riser with curly maple accent stripe stained curly maple limbs and horn tips  53#@28  

am I close?   :D
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
sorry Kip guess i missed your question i have talked to several bowyers about building that bow most don't want to mess with thier design and i kinda don't blame them espescially if they are several months out!

Steve Tallant and i talked about it he seems to be open to the idea!

i might play around with a blank myself to see how it goes it won't be carbon backed obviously but might be fun!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
hi Tom yes maybe you could get away with the reverse handle with carbon as far as cast goes but i am thinking the reverse handle with string follow would be a slug? dunno!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Perfect....or my "dream" bow!

First I would have to somehow obtain a set of original Bear TD latches (complete with their original plastic brown bears).  This is why it is a dream.....anyone who would have such a set would probably never want to part with them.

Second, I would find a most competent bowyer willing to duplicate the Bear TD Type I "A" riser.  I would send him a piece of the wildest curly koa you have ever laid eyes on.  It has been sitting in my wood pile in the basement for about 7 years.  I also have a large chunk of old pre-ban brazilian rosewood that is nice and streaky.  I would then have said competent bowyer use the koa for the main body of the riser and the rosewood for the riser "wings".  Install the "dream" latches and...taadaa...one true custom Bear "A" riser!

Third, I would have Sid at Border Archery in Scotland build me a short set of his HEX6-H/BB2 carbon limbs for the riser. Maybe do a custom celtic knot on the back of the limbs for that personal touch.

I would have a one-of-a-kind 58" Bear-style "A" TD with modern fast limbs.  Yes....I would smile!

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Tony I ought to change the title lol humm sounds like I ain't the only one!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Typing with my phone hope I don't spel rong
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
My choice would be Osage, sinew backed selfbow, 50# @ 28".  The length does not matter as much as weight and draw lenght.
Paul

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
I have two new designs that I want to build this year. The one that Ralph mentioned and a really neat survival bow that using the same limb will be either a string follow or a slight d and r simply by turning the limb over.
I definately (Lord willing) will be building the string follow with carbon and Ralph will get the proto type of it.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
sounds good Steve!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
I already own my perfect hunting bow. Centaur carbon elite with stippled grip, bacote riser and and a eagles flight quiver holding my arrows. Simple, elegant, and tough.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by hayslope:
Perfect....or my "dream" bow!

First I would have to somehow obtain a set of original Bear TD latches (complete with their original plastic brown bears).  This is why it is a dream.....anyone who would have such a set would probably never want to part with them.

Second, I would find a most competent bowyer willing to duplicate the Bear TD Type I "A" riser.  I would sent him a piece of the wildest curly koa you have ever laid eyes on.  It has been sitting in my wood pile in the basement for about 7 years.  I also have a large chunk of old pre-ban brazilian rosewood that is nice and streaky.  I would have said competent bowyer use the koa for the main body of the riser and the rosewood for the riser "wings".  Install the "dream" latches and...taadaa...one true custom Bear "A" riser!

Third, I would have Sid at Border Archery in Scotland build me a short set of his HEX6-H/BB2 carbon limbs for the riser. Maybe do a custom celtic knot on the back of the limbs for that personal touch.

I would have a one-of-a-kind 58" Bear-style "A" TD with modern fast limbs.  Yes....I would smile!

:thumbsup: ...... but you wouldn't need boarder limbs on it if i build it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©