3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunting Conditioning  (Read 771 times)

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunting Conditioning
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Folks,
  I'm interested in going Elk hunting next year and was wondering what your conditioning program is for hunting the Rockies?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunting Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Any heavy aerobic work loading the thighs and butt. Walking-cycling usually for me.

I do as much walking as I can with my loaded backpack on just to get used to carrying the weight. Long hikes on the weekends with repeats on the steepest hills. Walking/shooting my 3D course I carry the pack even though I won't be wearing a loaded pack once our camp is established.

There is only so much I can do at 1100' to prepare for 10,000' but getting used to the weight helps. For me running does not carry over to hunting as much as loaded hikes.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Kyle,

Intense aerobic exercise is the way to go, but like Lost Arra said...there is only so much you can do to prepare.  Especially where you live.

Elk can be found at a variety of altitudes and terrain.  If you choose to hunt elk where the altitude is high and terrain steep you will have to take it easy the first day, at least!!!  I don't care what kind of excercise you do in Virginia.

Just remember...serious elk hunting is hard work!!!  Hours and hours of hard hiking, glassing....pure drudgery....punctuated by moments of sheer absolute terror(excitement)!!  :bigsmyl:  

Plan accordingly

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Lose what weight you can and at least hike!  Get to where you can do 6 to 8 miles in a mornings hike at least 2 or 3 times a week minimum.  A lot of guys would laugh at this little amount I am sure.
  But regardless of that,  study up on altitude sickness.  It can hit those in the best of shape.  It all depends how your body reacts to it.  Take it easy at least the first few days.  If you push yourself before you are ready the body will poison itself and its downhill from there, literally - it will have to be.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
I think you can say...the better shape you are in, the easier your hunt will be.  You owe only yourself the time you spend getting in shape.  I suggest also, that you do stairs, especially the last two or three weeks before the hunt.  Actual, real stairs , I believe, are much better than a stairmaster machine.  Find a building that you can access legally that is 10 or more stories and just walk up and down the entire staircase.  Running (on the stairs) is probably not required, just get your legs used to the activity.  They WILL burn.  In a few days you will notice a difference.  I know it really helped me the last time out there.

Budget to give yourself a few days, or at least one day, at higher altitude before you push yourself.  We drive to just the other side of Denver and sleep overnight at a park n' ride area in the foothills, which I believe is over 6,000 feet.  Then spend the next full day getting to camp, setting up camp, and scouting a bit.  Getting acclimated before you really push is a good thing.

Have fun, you will love it.
ChuckC

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming. I'm asking now, for next year, 'cause I want to start early.

Kyle

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
The first overnite is a good note.  We started going to South Dakota from WI first for the 1st night to sleep at 6000 feet. (adds an hour for us).  That and not driving straight thru.  Its tempting to do that but don't.  Your body will be worn down that much more and the altitude really hits you then.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning program. I burned a lot of fat off and got my legs and lungs in good shape doing that. I was darn near running around the hills out here. Just google his name and you'll come up with his website. PM me if you have any questions.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Kindred Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
Kyle,
as Lost ARRA stated a loaded pack during your walks will help with conditioning.  

Wear your hunting boots and carry 2 5 pound weights in your hands when walking as well.  I start getting ready in May prior to an elk hunt and next year will start in Apr.  I hike (5-6 miles) and bike (10-15 Miles) alternateing 6 days a week; trying to find as many hills as I can.  

Try and find a camp location at around 8000', this will also help acclimate your body to the mountains.  I have found that after 3 days at altitude my body does fine.  I don't push the first 3 days though.  Good luck
Aim Small, Miss Small

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
I second any and all of the above...Be "eat up" with getting into shape. Walking, hiking, biking, grappling, kickboxing...I've done it all over the last seven years. Find something that doesn't bore you and push yourself to your limit. That same limit will be reached, passed, and crushed daily in elk country.

Acute Mtn Sickness is a real deal. 3 years ago I was in the best shape of my life. Twice daily workouts with boxing, kickboxing, stairs, and swimming had me ready for whatever. By not listening to my body and by jumping right into climbing/hunting the first 24 hours I ended up down the mountain with a terrible headache, vomitting, etc. I knew better (I work in healthcare)but did it anyway. Go to Web MD and read about HAPE, HACE, and acute mountain sickness. Know what to look for in yourself and others.

Get in the best shape possible in whatever way you can. By the way, on that elk trip after IV fluids and 24 hours rest I went back up and killed a great big cow! Good luck!
Mike Davenport

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
Whatever I do is never nearly enough.  There is just no substitute for being in the mountains themselves.  But I wold hate to even think about a trip without preparing as best I can. My normal summer routine is biking 12-15 miles in the mornings before work 3 or 4 days per week.  Last year and this year I have substituted running a steep hillside at the local football field a couple of mornings each week.  The hill is a much tougher workout than the bike, but really has the most benefit too.
Push yourself hard, and you will really appreciate it in September.  Also if you can get there a couple days early to take it fairly easy and get acclimated it will help tremendously.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks guys. BTH - I've been doing the Combat Conditioning for about 2.5 mos. Great Workout! I definitely do want to begin the hiking/biking/ aerobics that you guys recommend also.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
WALK!!!!! WALK!!!!! WALK!!!!!!!!!!

As FAST as you can.....For as LONG as you can!!!!!

All though it might be the BEST training, I do NOT recommend running,or anything else that you could possibly injure yourself doing.(i.e. Breaking an ankle,or falling off a bike.....)

You need to get into shape.....BUT.....Could you imagine falling off a bike and breaking a shoulder 2 weeks before the "Hunt Of A Lifetime"   :scared:

Just one Old Fart's opinion.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
I have done 4 elk hunts.  Each time I learn more about conditioning.  Living at less than 1,000 feet in the flats of Indiana puts me at a disadvantage.  But there are hils here and I can train on them.  Do a lot of pack work.  I mean at least 4 times a week.  I pack pretty light on hunts but I worked my way up to 4 miles at lunch wearing 50 pounds last year and was happy I did.  My actual pack was about 40 pounds.  Where the same pack you are going to use for the hunt for your training.  Train with the same gear you are going to use.  

Set weekly goals.  My hunting buddies and I had a weigh-in plus report on workouts every Monday morning for several months before the hunt.  It was a good way to be held accountable.

I like trail running instead of jogging.

There is a park nearby with a fitness trail that really helps me.

Best thing I have learned is that it is much better to stay in shape than to have to get into it several months ahead of a hunt after sluffing off the workouts for a while.

Losing weight is a great way to make your training more effective.  The less you have to carry, teh better.

Go to the bowsite.com elk conference for tons more info on conditioning.  http://forums.bowsite.com/biggame/section.cfm?gameid=5
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Noelkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
This month I'm carrying a 25lb bag of shot and 100oz of water in my daypack. I hike 4-8 miles every other morning, depending on how early I have to be at the office. On weekends I put 50lbs in my freighter pack and try to get in 6-10 mile before it gets too hot. I live next to several thousand acres of BLM land so I hike hills from 5500 to 6000 ft elev. Running is out of the question (48 with bad knees) so I walk as fast as possible and keep my heart rate up.

The other days of the week I try to do squats, sit ups and push ups and get in some horse riding. Got to get the nag in shape too.

My suggestions:

Get some GOOD quality boots, Lowa, Meindl etc, that fit, put on your pack and walk as many hills as you can. If it's too hot and steamy in VA, find a gym and "hike" the bleachers. Up and down will do more for elk chasing than anything else. Time means more than distance.

Try Wilderness Athletes Altitude Advantage. Good things have been said about it.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
I realize you'e limited with mountains/elevation gains so I would recommend getting on a stairmaster with a loaded pack. The motions and muscles used to propel you upward are different than those used to propel you forward. So, you can run 10 miles a day over flat ground and still get destroyed trying to make 3000 ft elevation change to catch elk moving uphill. AND don't neglect reversing your position to exercise the downhill stride. Carrying weight downhill can burn your knees in a hurry.

Just keep in mind that, regardless of what your muscles are capable of, your lungs are going to be working really hard to keep up.

Most important of all  - when you finally get there, slow down and enjoy it.
Is it September yet?!

Offline rthompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Don't worry about whether you should be running, biking, or doing some other type of exercise.  Just pick an aerobic exercise (or a set of exercises) that you enjoy the most, then be consistent about doing it.  Consistency is the key.  Forcing yourself to do something you do not enjoy simply because you think it may better prepare you for elk hunting will not result in the consistency you need.  Personally, I do a wide range of exercises.  In the Winter, I cross country ski, snowshoe, bike, and stairclimb.  As the snow melts out of our local mountains, I put the skis and snowshoes away and start hiking up the steepest hills I can find.  Sometimes I load my pack up with an excessive amount of water to add weight.  I use water so if I get in a bind or my knees start hurting, I can simply pour it out to lighten the load.  

Also, many folks make the mistake of pushing themselves hard day in and day out.  This is a big mistake.  You do not gain fitness by pushing yourself hard.  You gain fitness by giving your body adequate rest after pushing yourself hard.  Most folks would do much better if they pushed themselves harder 2-3 times per week, and worked out MUCH easier the other days.  Make your efforts very hard or very easy, and avoid the middle ground.  On the easy days, you want to keep your efforts short and with very low intensity - so low that you can almost breathe entirely thru your nose and can easily maintain a conversation while speaking in complete, uninterupted sentences.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Put your loaded pack on and boots and push mow your lawn. Kill two birds with one stone

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
rthompson: great advice!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©