3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Super Kodiak worth the hype?  (Read 347 times)

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Super Kodiak worth the hype?
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Hello Gang,
So... I have been thinking about this for good long while and I guess I finally have to just ask.  Is the Bear Super Kodiak worth all the hype and the expense that the bow demands?  Don't get me wrong, I love the old bears and own several. But is the Super K really worth it? How does it stack up to a comparable weight 60" Kodiak Hunter or a 62" Tigercat?  I know it was Papa Bear's favorite prior to his takedown model,  but is the bow auctally faster or smoother?  Better balanced maybe?  This is all partially fueled by the fact that I have never auctally shot or handled a Super Kodiak, I suppose if I had I wouldn't be asking these questions. But... I have owned and shot the Kodiak Hunters, Tigercats, Alaskans, and Grizzly's. Not to mention a plethra of Kodiak Magnums. And all of them have been fine shooting bows. But are they really a lower class of bow when compared to "The Super K"  I must say that I have my doubts.

So I guess in a nut shell.  The Bear Super Kodiak.... The pinnacle of Fred Bear's 1 piece legacy?  Top of the food chain, best of the best.
Or....  just a passing fad that carries more prestige and social status over true performance?

I am sure this is going to start a ruckus, but I am very anxious to what everyone will say.
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Super Kodiak worth the hype?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
The Super K is my favorite (1969-1972) of all the 1-piece Bear Bows. I love the length and the shape of the riser.

Even the new Grayling Green being made right now in Gainsville is an excellent performer!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
I have a grizzly and tigercat that I love. they both shoot well. the tigercat seems a bit slower but more accurate at the moment.

I still love my 74 SK. It is fast and accurate. I will have it out for show and tell this weekend.

I dont Know what money you are talking about but if my SK broke or was somehow taken, I would buy another in short order.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I've owned several kodiak's...I was collecting them until I got fed up with how much mulla they were going for and sold nearly all of them and started on others like Brownings and adding to my custom bows...the kodiaks and SK's rock it.  I loved my '65 and '66 (couldn't afford the famous '64).  I like the '71, My uncles is a sweet shooter.  I had a black glass one, can't remember the year.  Nice bow and shot down the middle, but a little sluggish.  The SK's are second to none as far as production bows go, IMHO.  They are extremely well designed...stable, forgiving, efficient, comfortable to shoot.  They are worth all the hype.  The new Grayling Green makes it tough not to buy a new one if your a fan of the old ones.  If you are wondering, you should borrow or buy one and check them out.  Everyone will tell you a different favorite year.  Good luck, nice thread.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
My Gainsville Super K shot faster at the same poundage with the same arrow than my old Super K. I am not sure that the old ones are worth the price, but the new ones are.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
They are my favorite bows of all the Bears.  Simply because I shoot them so darn well.  It is just a natural for me.

I only own one that is 50# at 28 and would love to have another that is 60#.  But I have not gotten serious enough about it to get one in the bow rack.

The green new manufacturer comment is encouraging.  Since I want it for a hunting/shooting bow, not a collector.  It may be my best option.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:53:00 AM »
The SK is surely a very remarcable bow,accurate,death quiet and faster than the TD.
It comes easy,points well and very forgiving too.
I have never tryed a new one but just the vintage that i prefere over the other 1 piece of the Bear line.If I had to buy a new one I would look at the Rose Oak Creations' Wild Cat,a SK design made by one of the most talented bowyers available!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
I happen to be a big fan of the Kodiaks, especially the 1964 vintage on up until today's version. Yes some shot better then others and some felt better in my hand then others but I like everyone of them. My favorite is the 1966 and I am fond of the mid 80's Gainsville bows. Like anything else it is all personell and matter of preference.

However to compare them to the Kodiak Hunters, Magnums, Grizzly and Alaskans I think the Super K's are much better shooting bow. The basic difference is the sight window and risers are much larger then the other bows as well as for the most part a little longer bows. Having a 30 inch draw I lean towards the larger riser and longer bows.

The value of the bow always comes down to is it worth it to you? I paid more for my 66 Kodiak then what it was probably worth to most people but it was worth it to me.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Armand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
I have a 75-76 SK and i love the look and feel of the bow, shoots great and only take it out on special days, kinda like dating the prom queen when we go for a ride

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
I've never shot an actual SuperK ,but I've got a Big River John Mcdonald 69 SuperK replica,bar none the fastest bow I've ever shot.With more recurve and Boo limbs this thing just screams.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
my 1971 Super K is a shooter.  About 46#'s@29 inches and it's spitting 500 grain tapered Surewood shafts like lazer beams.  It's just fun to shoot a little nastalgia now and then.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I have a 67 and a half and it whispers. I got a compound buddy that didn't even know I was shooting next to him. Great bow, but I'm getting surface sun cracks in the riser area
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline 68_super_k

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
I have two, working on 3.  My favorite is obviously the 68 considering what my handle on here is.  Shoots phenomenal, great in the hand and just feels natural to me.  I also have an 04, or so I was told, at 55# and it also shoots fantastic.  I personally love the super k's.  I've shot a couple early 70's models also and they are fantastic.  I still think it all comes down to personal opinion because I know there are a few guys out there that really don't like them at all.  Personally I shoot them well so I like them!  If nothing else pick one up and send some shafts if you get the chance!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I have a Super K that I bought new 3 years ago. I really like it. It did take a bit of fooling to get it quiet, but it's a great shooter. Are they worth the money? To me it is!   :)  
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
I have a Super K that I bought new 3 years ago. I really like it. It did take a bit of fooling to get it quiet, but it's a great shooter. Are they worth the money? To me it is!   :)  
Frank

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Frank

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Please don’t take this as criticism, but a bow that has been around as long as the Super Kodiak has earned its reputation. I would not consider that reputation hype.  :thumbsup:  
Bill

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Can't address the super Kodiak, but I popped for one of the Kodiak Magnums, as a reminder of what I first carried into the deer woods some 50 years ago.  It's a wonderful bow!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Felix is sure right about the Rose Oak Super Wildcat. Brandon bills it as a souped up Super K. I have one and it is a beautiful and terrific hanldling bow.

I need to put that SW through my little truth detector (chrono) and see what I get. I've done that with a 44#26" Super K Grayling Green I bought while visiting the Bear Pro Shop in Gainsville this past December.  

I posted in another thread that that Grayling Green posted higher FPS than almost every other bow I have. Not by a lot but I expected it to be less than many bows I have and I was wrong.

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
I will admit that "Hype" was proubally the wrong word to use. And I know that fans of Bear bows are about as loyal as they come.(being one myself!)   I feel that this has been a great discussion so far.   I am anxious to see how far this goes...  
I am a very very loyal fan of the Kodiak Magnum. Its what I grew up with(minus the Lil Bear My dad taught me on) And the K Mag has been my workhorse for many years. It has been a loyal friend in the presuit of everything from fish to bunnies to deer.   I guess I am just weary of spending so much on new bow when I can pick up two K mags for the same price!  

Lets see where this goes.....
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©