3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spine matched cedars???  (Read 457 times)

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Spine matched cedars???
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
Does anyone know were i can get a dozen of spine matched and weight matched raw cedar shafts?
I want to build a set of matched arrows for 3D.
Not intersered in surewood shafts.

Thanks, Mike
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine matched cedars???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
3 Rivers and many others will do that if you ask and pay a bit more-no problem.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
Personally, I'd go with the Nocking Point and get more reliable service.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
Raptor has matched Ceder and is a sponsor here. They  will nock and point taper for you at no additional charge if you want. Seems like a great deal to me.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Let me clarify, i want the whole dozen  with a 56# spine and within 10 grains.. Ive shot 55-60s for a while with pretty good results, just wanting to try a matched group.  Do you think rator or the nocking point may do that??

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
Never hurts to ask. As Bjorn said it may cost you more and probably will. Me, I'd make a phone call.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
Your dealing with a natural product and to expect the entire dzn to be exactly 56# is a bit unreasonable. I normally make two dzn at a time and find anywhere from a 4 to 7# spread on quality shafts. Most often I spine weigh and bunch as close as possible. After arrows are made I again spine weigh and bunch in order to get as tight as possible and then mark the arrows accordingly. I have had good luck in the past with Kustom King and Twig Archery when ordering.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:34:00 AM »
One of the good things about the Nocking Point is you're going to talk with the guy who owns the shop. Can't hurt to ask but my guess is he'll try to help you.

On the other hand, I have yet to see the archer who can take advantage of a set of arrows with all the same spine. These aren't bench rest rifles we're holding onto.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:34:00 AM »
Ive done as close as possible for years.. I want to see if i can see a difference in excatly matched or a 5# range.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
I will give the nocking point a call.. I may not be able to tell a difference but its just something i want to try.. Honestly i wouldnt mind a 3# range..  The last 5 dozen shafts i have gotten have not been if very good quality and a little wider than 5# in spine..  I guess its just getting harder to get  descent cedar

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 02:54:00 AM »
Well, that's one of the fun things about what we do: get an idea and give 'er a go!
With a wide enough selection of shafts to choose from it shouldn't be difficult to find a dozen all the same spine, or within a pound or two. Just as important, or maybe more so, will be weight. Again, with a large enough pile to work with it can be done. I've had it happen with some of the shafts I've purchased. Out of 200-300 shafts I'll have a set or two within a couple pounds of spine and within 5 grains of weight.
Good luck and be sure to post up your results.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
I had my cedars made at perfection nailing the exact pound and weight like AL.I bought some top class shaft and I asked the maker to hand spine all of them,I payed more for every single dozen then I ordered 100 shafts and I spined all of them making groups in 1# lots.I finished with 3 dozen of the same spine deflection and weight and smaller groups just 1 or 2# stiffer or weaker.Find a good dependable dealer,pay more and have a spine tester.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:24:00 AM »
Does it have to be cedar?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Mike,
Look on page 4 of the classifieds in the arrow and arrow making components. Same spine cedars for sale. Looks like he has quite a few.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
I used to buy close tolerance Rogue River tapered cedar shafts when they were in business. If I recall, you could pay extra to get everything spined with in 2#'s of each other and they were matched within 10 grains (if you want to get closer than that, do an extra dip or two of finish to the lighter shafts).  Rogue River was bought out by Wapiti Archery and I don't know if they offer the same service. The Rogue River shafting was excellent and as good as the old Acme premium shafts from the 60's/70's.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Mike will same spine as close as possible from what he has in stock. He's done it for me before. Got a couple of one up or one down but majority were same. He hand spines when they come in.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
m:  I agree with Grey.  Haven't seen anyone yet who can shoot a couple of pounds of spine or grains of weight difference.  

It's just about impossible to provide what you want.  Depending on changes in humidity and initial shaft grain strtucture/tightness, unsealed shaft phiysical weights can change by 5-10 grains in a day.  The spine can also change a pound or two.  So regardless of what the supplier sends you, they may not be the same by the time they get to you.

I've often measured the same shafts several times over the course of a couple weeks, and very seldom got the same results on spine or weight.  I weigh and spine all my shafts and write the info on them.  Sometimes it's a year or more before I actually make arrows out of them.  Upon weighing again, very few retain their original spine and weight.  The changes aren't great, but they're there.  Most spine testers just aren't that accurate.  Digital grain scales are, but, as I said, humidity changes will change the weight and to a lesser extent the spine of unsealed shafts.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jon Powell:
Mike,
Look on page 4 of the classifieds in the arrow and arrow making components. Same spine cedars for sale. Looks like he has quite a few.
I don't believe these are weight matched. Personally, I feel weight matching is more important that extremely close spine matching. Especially seeing as how much shafts of a given spine can vary in weight.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
If you really want perfection in terms of weight and spine-it can be done. I have been hoarding ACME cedar for years and the only limiting factor to perfection is patience. You can weigh, spine and even make adjustments by sanding and dipping and cutting etc. but the beauty of wood is you don't have to.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
If you really want perfection in terms of weight and spine-it can be done..... but the beauty of wood is you don't have to.
Bingo!

Guy
The Blind Master

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©