3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spine matched cedars???  (Read 458 times)

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spine matched cedars???
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
It CAN be done   but its tough unless you have a lot  of shafts in that range to start with  and a good EYE on the spine-tester .   I Do that my self   Making arrows now that are all spinned 68#  to begin with  then re-spine after I taper the back end down to 5/16 .    I can look at my bundles but I do not think I have any in exact 56# right now and if so not sure if I have enough to make  the weight cut to make a dozen but I'll look  .
 May take me a day or two right now to get to it
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
If perfection is exactly the same spine and weight for a dozen arrows, not a pound or grain off, then I contend that the perfect woodies haven't been built yet, and probably never will.  But I agree with Bjorn, wood doesn't have to be perfect to shoot well.

But for the sake of argument, I've been collecting/saving and making arrows out of premium ACMEs and Sweetland forgewoods for about 40 years now.  Can usually get a dozen shafts to spine the same before I seal them.  Need a lot of shafts to start with, of course.  Can even get almost all of them the same weight, i.e., the exact same grains, before I seal them.  

Then it gets difficult.  Feathers can vary by up to a grain per feather, points a lot more than that. Very easy to get a 10 grain or more variation in arrows due to feather and point weight differences, not to mention the finish.  Some shafts will be just a tad more porous than others and soak up a grain or two more of finish. Even the amount of glue used on the points and nocks can vary the weight a grain or two. Finally, even after the shafts have been turned into arrows, they will still gain and lose weight due to humidity changes, and they won't all do it equally.  That's why, in short, I don't believe a perfectly matched set of woodies can be made.  Very close, yes, but perfect, no.

I might add that most measuring equipment isn't precise enough to determine if the arrows spine and weigh exactly the same. The pointer on a spine tester, for example, can straddle two numbers, lean on the heavy side of one hash mark, he light side of the same one.  Most would accept the middle reading, but the arrow is probably a half-pound more or less depending on which side of the hash mark the pointer lands.

Just went back and read some of the early posts.  M said he would accept 3# and 10 grain variance.  That's very doable.  Any good arrow maker should be able to do that, provided he has lots of shafts to choose from.  And that's a very good/excellent set of arrows.  Of course, there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Elite arrows are the best I know of and I highly reccomend them .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Paul Jalon makes great arrows... Thanks for the info guys.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Orion wrote: "And then it gets difficult.....................   :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Sorry.  Got little anal.  I've been trying to build the perfect arrow/set of arrows for more than 50 years.  Still trying.   :bigsmyl:

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I guess same spine group was a little far fetched.. I just need to find a good supplier..

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Call or email Ted at Raptor Archery

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
m midd, I'm glad you brought this up. It's been an interesting discussion and I've enjoyed seeing everyone's views.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Call or email Ted at Raptor Archery

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
I have no idea how that double post happened.   :dunno:    :dunno:

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:00 AM »
Out of 24 shafts i managed to spine 6  at 58# weighing 507-508gr... Now the fun begins...

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
I'm like Bjorn in that I "hoard cedar"! In my opinion the quality has deminished over the years so when I find good wood I stock up. Haven't had to buy any lately but have somewhere around 18 to 20 dzn up in my garage. I need to get busy!!!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Mike:  Those are pretty good results.  Usually takes more shafts than that to get a half-dozen that close.  They'll be el primos when you're done.  Good luck.

Larry M.  I've been hoarding for a long time as well.  My problem now is, I have a lot of high quality shafts in a spine range that will likely be too heavy for me in a couple more years.  So far, my ACSs are keeping that problem at bay

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
It would seem to me that the issue is arrow flight.  If that's the case, then number the arrows, shoot them and cull after all building has finished.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
I dont know how i got that lucky.... They shot very well.. But they are a little lighter than what i like to shoot.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
SORRY   NONE  in that range   :-(
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline 68_super_k

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
just picked up a dozen hildebrand shafts.  55-60 spine, and hit a maximum of 10 grains in difference.  The scale actually showed all but 2 within 4 grains of eachother.  Shocked to say the least for woodies, but I would look em up they are great.  Just got them stained and crested and woooow.  That's my best advice!  good luck!

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
For some of the best port orford cedar shafts give this place a call as they harvest all of their own wood:  Wapiti Archery (www.wapitiarchery.com) (541) 659-2984. They are in Grants Pass, Oregon.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©