3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching jig  (Read 313 times)

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
fletching jig
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
I want to get into making my own arrows. Before I start purchasing the equipment, I had a couple of questions. What should I get as far as left wing, right wing, or straight? (I am a right handed shooter). What is a good brand? Would it be better to buy a cutter and cut my own feathers or buy them already cut?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching jig
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Left wing, right wing, or straight, use whatever you want... doesn't matter what hand you are. If you'll be hunting then go with left or right, you'll want more spin with broadheads than straight will be likely to give you.
Brand, everyone will tell you that Bitzenburger is the best and maybe it is. But it's damned expensive and not everyone can afford it. I use Vador jigs which are a fraction of the cost and work as well. Put it this way, once the arrow is fletched no one will be able to tell you what jig was used to do the job.
Cut or pre-cut feathers, your choice. Pre-cut is easier, cut your own is more money to get set up but gives greater flexibility on the shapes you use. You can also burn them but feather burners aren't cheap.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Sounds good. I will deffinately start with the pre cut feathers then. How are the reviews with the JO-JAN multifletcher and do the jigs com with the nock recievers already installed?

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Just get a Bitz' so you don't waste your time.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I have a JoJan straight multi fletch that was given to me 20 years ago by a friend that got it from an oldtimer. It still works great. The JoJan straight fletch can take either left or right wing feathers and can be offset to achieve more spin that a straight fletch either to the left or right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Jojan or Bitzenberger if I were buying a new jig. I have a grayling with left and right helical clamps that has done me just fine for going on ten years or so.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
I've been using a JoJan  single Fletcher since the late 80's works great,I use right wing helical.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
I have started fletching and cutting my own arrows a couple months ago.For cutting I bought a Harbor Freight mini cut off saw(you' ll need to buy seperate 2" diamond disks from elswhere) and a Bearpaw  R.W helical fletching jig.I also use the tape for the feathers not glue.You can see on three rivers site how to use the tape on the little instructional clips they have.After I messed up a couple of times I started fletching like a pro  :)
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
I have a Grayling jig that I have used for 15 years or so without issues! Made up hundreds and hundreds of arrows! IMO, the expensive Bitz jig is not needed. If I was in need of a new Jig, I'm not the Grayling works just fine I would either go the same route with a Grayling or a Bearpaw! On another note...look into fletch tape, cheap easy and holds tight! Good luck brother!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I cannot add too much to Grey's excellant post. As with el greco, I use the harbor freight mini-cutoff saw mounted on a board with a pin to hold the nock at my desired arrow length. I like helical and decided to stock only left wing (no reason, it makes no difference over right wing). I got a bitz and it works great, but someone gave me an old BPE jig in right wing and a bunch of feathers. In all honesty, I cannot say that one fletcher is better than the other. Both had their learning curve and produce quality fletching.

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Everyones responses have been very helpful. I guess now I need to figure out if I am going with a single or multi fletcher. Do they have something in the how-to section on making a board to cut for certain lengths?

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
I buy feathers already cut but have turkeys leaving feathers in my yard so some decision about cutting the natural feathers is in my future. As far as arrow length, it is sort of cut and try (sorry) for each bow shelf and does affect tuning. I put the cutoff saw on a board and drilled some holes to take finishing nails. The nocks fit on the nails and I get the specific length arrow that each bow has decided it needs. I prefer fletching tape over glue. With fletching tape, the bond is instant (it does improve over time) and there is no real advantage to a multi-jig. There is a post on this pag of powwow that shows a slick use of fletch tape. Others use glue and prefer that.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
If your budget can handle it get a multi fletch. Although today, with fletch tape you can fletch arrows pretty fast with even a single fletch jig. In years past it would take you days to fletch a dozen arrows using a single fletcher with Duco or Fletch Tite.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Before I got a table of jigs I used a single jig and then three jigs mounted on a 1 x 6. Something that helped me get the speed up was to use a timer to remind me to glue on the next feather. Using Duco I set the timer for 8 minutes. This isn't enough time for the glue to cure completely but it's enough that it will stay as I switch to the next feather. The timer kept me focused and didn't allow me to wander off and forget about the jig for an hour. It really made things faster. I still use a timer even with the round table of jigs.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I have used a JoJan for years. I just traded a Bitz off because I never used it. The truth is once you get used to one it really doesn't matter.

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I've used my straight fletch Grayling for several years. No problems. Now I have a LW clamp for it. I also use a Jo Jan RW fletcher.
I like all of them.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I just started fetching my own feathers.  I use Bitz jig and fetching tape. Glue for the tips of the feathers. It is pretty fun and relaxing.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
I have used left and right wing and it really doesn't make any difference. I like right wing because I can get them locally easier than left wing. I really like my JoJan multifletcher, but if you want a quality jig without spending alot of money get a bohning fletching jig. They work just as good as all the rest of them.
James Kerr

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Depends on your plans---I have used a Multi-fletcher for many, many years (since the late 1960's) and have done several thousand arrows for sure.  The idea that the bitz (a very good fletching jig) is "superior" is a mistaken one.  You can't look at a finished arrow and tell which jig was used.  

I am NOT denigrating the Bitz---it is a very good jig but I don't think it produces better arrows than my old Multi-fletcher.

I have never used any of the latter day jigs so am not qualified to recommend (or not) any of them.  I have used (and own) a bitz and the muilti-fletcher.

Joe

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Once again, I vote for the Bitzenberger Fletcher!  :thumbsup:   Your Ancestors will use it too!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©