3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Noise  (Read 828 times)

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow Noise
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
First off I'll say that I've done the search thing and read the good info on quieting BW bows. However I am really getting frustrated in trying to get my 2000 model MAII quiet. It's 46# at 28" and I'm shooting Beman MFX classic 500 arrows at 29" with 200 grs up front, 9" brace height. These arrows shoot great. My BW is noisey even while shooting my heavy cedar arrows. At this point I don't know if it is worth my time to make a dacron string for it or try some insert tubes to get the arrow weight up. I really don't want to shoot a fishing arrow out of this thing. I finally grabbed my 1966 Bear Kodiak just so I could remember what a joy it is to shoot a quiet bow. At this point I'm ready to send it back to Black Widow. It has always been a noisey bow. It may just become a wall-hanger or I may just sell it. HELP!
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Have you tried putting some moleskin on the limbs and yarn around the ends of the string? What silencers are you using and whats your arrow weight? Might also be a flaw with the bow. Might also try to go up on the brace height even more. Have you had someone else shoot it while you listened to see how loud it is?
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
I have to run my brace height between 8 & 8 1/2" on my b/w, also use two sets of beaver ball puffs on the string.  Having someone else shoot it while you stand off to the side is a good idea too. I also use dacron strings on mine, I think it's quietere with them.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
I used Bow Hush and whoolie wisps on a BW SAV I had,I got comments on how quiet it was.AlsoI had a padded loop 8 strand D97,which I feel helped.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I've got the fuzzy part of some velcro on the string groves. I'm using musk-ox yarn thingys plus some wooly whiskers on the string. I don't really want to take the brace height up anymore than it already is. My next step is to try some 5 gpi weight tubes but I have little hope that this will work. The bow was noisy from day one. I almost sent it back the week it was delivered. I shot the bow quite a bit for a couple of years and then got out of archery until last summer. I may give them a call and see just how good their warranty is. I've been very disappointed in this bow.
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Try a brace height between 8 5/8" and 8 7/8 inches. Also Try a different string, BW recomends a D97 string and thats a great material but I tried other strings made from FF plus, 452, 450 etc with padded loops...I never needed any thing more than some wool Hush Puppys to get my BW bows quiet, I can get 3 sets of string silencers from 1 set of the Hush Puppys. This is a pic of some bows i used to own showing the Hush Puppy material on some widow Recurves and one RER bow, I think I used to install it arround 12- 15" from end of string    

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
About the only thing I haven't tried is padding under the limb pockets. I'm getting more of a whack or a crack sound along with a loud string thump when I shoot. I swear my c--pound bow is quieter than this thing.
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Ask SBD strings, a Sponsor, what he made for my widow.

I have on of his strings, BowHush and Hush Puppies on my PCH and it is quiet.  Randy Burtis heard it in MO...and then after I quieted it in TX and he said he couldn't believe the difference.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
send it to me. I'll check it out for you and see if I can figure out whats up.    :goldtooth:
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
For the price I paid for this THING it should be at least as quiet as the 1969 Super K that I bought in a pawn shop for $50. I spend $800 or so dollars on this thing and then have to spend another $200 or $300 just to get it quiet enough to take hunting? Give me a break!
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I had a black widow that made this cracking noise everytime I would pull it back. I didnt like this bow at all. didnt take me but a couple of days to get rid of it.
>>>------John------>

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
It really is sad. I love this bow and love the way it shoots. I just wish it wasn't so loud. I'll make up a dacron string for it tonight and I guess I'll order some weight tubes to bump up the arrow weight. More money to spend. At this point I'd never buy another Black Widow bow.
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
My MA is very quiet with the D97, spider silencers and 550 grain arrows. Brace ht. is 8.625. Warranty on a 12 year old bow-good luck with that.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Sounds like it could be a problem unique to that particular bow.  Did you buy it used?  Did the former owner have the same problem?  

I've got two widows that I have no noise issues with.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
I bought this bow from the factory brand new. If it didn't have my name on it I would have already gotten rid of it. I may try some of the stick tammers from 3Rs. At this point I'm willing to try anything. If I had the time and money I would drive to BW's shop and tell them to fix it or keep it. It may be time for me to look at some other custom bowyers. Any suggestions for a smooth quiet bow?
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Give the Bow Hush and Hush Puppies a try. I had one that was loud and once I installed them it made a huge difference.

As far as the warranty, you said it was 2000 model.  I wouldn't expect alot since the bow was made 12 years ago.
I would give them a call and ask for their advice though. They're a great group to deal with.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I have owned / own several widows and they are all quiet. Run my brace height at 8-5/8 and 9.5 grains per pound arrow weight, shoot BW stock strings. I would shoot SBD but they take more time to get than I care to wait, but have tried them.

If you are shooting an old string you my want to change it to a new one, they do wear out.  Or if you really want to be sure put an SBD string on it they are super quiet. If its still nosy with the SBD string on it there is something really wrong. If you shoot a tab that may also be worn out.

If your shooting a t/d check the alignment pins they can loosen up. I had that happen and its an easy fix, just super glue them back in and clamp. Also make sure your rubber o rings are good, I would just replace them.

Good luck, I hope you can find the problem because widows are exceptional shooters. Glen

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I never really thought my BW was loud until I started shooting longbows. I think in general recurves are louder than longbows, but should not be to the extreme that it seems you are getting.

Try skinny fast flight string, pad string at recurved tips with yarn, and try multiple string silencers if needed.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Walter Mauney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Could your arrow be hitting the riser and making noise?

The reason I ask is because it seems your arrows would be too stiff for that draw weight bow and that will sometimes cause the tail end of the arrow to hit the riser.
Yours truly,
Walter

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
You may also want to take the stuff out of the string grooves you could twist the limbs if they arent already. If BW wanted stuff in the grooves they would include it with all their bows. They also don't recommend putting anything under the limbs, there needs to be some space, that's why they use the o-ring system.

I hope I'm not coming across pushy. That is not my intent , I just really enjoy my bows and what you to be able to do the same.
Glen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©