3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Noise  (Read 827 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Noise
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Try an SBD string.

doug77

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Ross, what is your brace height and nocking point height?
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I've had real good results with the sticktamers.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Also consider stik tamers. I have them on mine. The are not the greatest looking things but they do a good job of helping quiet things down a bit and it adds some protection while hanging on my bow holder in the treestand. If you don't like them they are easy to take off. Pretty easy to put on also.
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Keep in mind, quiet is subjective...

I've been to trad gatherings hearing guys brag on how quiet their Widow is.  When I hear their bow go off, I wonder about how many years they had to have worked in a foundery with no ear protection.

I've never heard a quiet Black Widow.  Ever. And I've been around a ton.  But...they just weren't quiet by MY standards.  The guy shooting them thought they were quiet as a mouse fart.  

Everyone thinks their own Widow is the quietest and everyone thinks their own kid is the cutest.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Vanilla Gorilla is correct, a recurve is not as quiet as a hill type bow. They are two very different animals. It really depends what you used to shooting. Sounds are subjective to the listener. Lots of critters fall to widows every year just take a look at the widow wall photo gallery.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
If you were a lefty I bet I could find one in my collection  to trade you that is quiet......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Be sure to get in touch with Pierre of SBD.

My PCH has absolutley no sound issues.

Note: I tried many different options and she remained far too loud for my taste until I turned to Pierre.

BW's are wonderful bows and sometimes we have to go the extra mile to satisfy I personal requierments.

It is quite likely that you could utilize a 6 strand SBD.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Been there done that. The only solution IMHO is a SBD 8 strand string with Navaho Wool silencers from Centaur Archery. I had a PMA that drove me crazy until I put that combo on it, went from a loud pop to a silent thump. It's all I shoot on all of my bows now and the Widows are now as silent as the rest.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Send it in for BW  to fix. They should stand behind it or at least tell you what needs to be done and the cost.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I've quietened a few, and didn't have to go to extremes.

I agree "quiet" is subjective...I shoot primarily longbows and selfbows, so I think I have an idea of "quiet".

The solution I've found is simple.  Do the obvious tuning.  The best string I've used on one is a 12 strand Dynaflight '97 with the loops padded to 18 with dacron.  Pretty simple, and the difference was amazing.  

Add a set of cat whiskers, tune them (you can tune the silencers like anything else, by moving them up or down the string), and the bow should easily be hunting quiet.  Not longbow or selfbow quiet, but much quieter--no hoops to jump through.

One other thing that some folks don't think about is nock fit.  A tight nock can be noisy--very noisy in some cases.

Chad

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Before you give up on the bow, see if someone will make you a 12 strand D 10 string with 16 strands in the loops.  I was at a shoot the other day and noticed one of the guys shooting a Widow that was very quiet.  I mentioned it, and he said it was all in the string and was nice enough to take my name and address and said he would make me a new string for my Widow bow.  It came in the mail today with cat wiskers deviding the string in thirds.  I can't believe how silent the bow is now.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Try lowering the brace height. I have one that was loud, kept raising the brace height because that is supposed to make recurves shoot quieter but it didn't work. Went lower with the brace height and it got much quieter.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
I have been using my vintage Bear recurves as a comparision on how quiet I want my BW to be. I'm going to reglue the limb studs since they were a little loose when I checked and replace the O rings. I'm also going to make a couple of new strings, one FF and another of dacron, and compair the two. To be honest I've been down this same road ten years ago and had no luck. The only "new" thing that I haven't tried is the stick tammers. I also want to aid some weight to my arrows to see if that helps. Thank you guys for all your suggestions and help. To be honest I'll probably just end up getting a new bow. If ya'll can offer any suggestions on a recurve that is both smooth and quiet be sure and let me know. My vintage Bear Kodiak will most likely be my hunting bow this year barring any miracles with the BW. The Kodiak isn't as smooth as the BW but it is whisper quiet even with the "noisy" spring arm quiver.

Once again, Thanks
You guys are great.
Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
I had the same problem with the psa 11 I bought from black widow, got tired of trying all of the things to make it quiet, sold it, shouldn't have to go through all that with a bow that cost that much.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
i'm sure your vintage Bears are shooting dacron, that alone will make a diffrence, I am of the opinion the earlier widows were a little louder than the later ones with the wider limbs, But as mentioned several times try a SBD string they do make a diffrence, My PSA is huntin quiet with a d97 string and tuned properly and I am a quiet freak with a hunting bow. a little brace variation makes a big diffrence, I can tell by sound when a new string has stretched..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I have personally shot at least 8 or 10 black widow recurves ahd have been around many, many others being shot by fellow competitors at 3d shoots. They are practically all noisy and that is just a fact.  Black Widow owners are very loyal and mostly rave about how well they shoot. The guys in Nixa, Missouri are doubtless a great bunch as you never hear anything but positives about customer service. That said, they are in a large majority and in a word, noisy!

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
You said it bluej and that's the truth. I don't mind paying for quality but surely there's a bow out there that is smooth, reasonably fast, and quiet. This ordeal with the BW has gotten ridiculous. I don't mind tweeking my equipment but give me a break.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Widow's Son:
 The bow was noisy from day one. I almost sent it back the week it was delivered. ... I've been very disappointed in this bow.
What kept you from sending it back if it was that noisy when it was new?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©