3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Noise  (Read 826 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Noise
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Been shooting a SA 3 widow for 18 years.  Never had a deer jump the string. I do wonder about the arrow hitting the the shelf.  I also wonder if they are just a bit noisier than you want.  I will say that wool yarn on the loops really helped mine.  

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
I have shot quite a few Widow's and with a good string silencer like Bow hush and hush puppies they were extremely quiet. I would highly recommend using the Bow hush on any recurve with a fast flight string.
James Kerr

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Don't ask me. I guess I thought it would get better or I could fix it. I've gotten particular about bow noise in my old age.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Adjust brace height to the higher end of the range in the catalog.  Use Yarn wraps on the ends of the strings.  The string spiders do fine on both of my Widows.  Lastly,install a set of Limbsaver recurve limb silencers on the back of the limbs about 1 inch past the ends of the fadeouts.

I will also tell you a SBD string will go a long way to making that bow quiet as well.  I switched out the BW string that came with my bows for a SPD and that alone solved about half the problem.

But raising the brace height is probably most important.

Offline wckid2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
You need to lower your brace height to 7 3/4 and shoot it  some then start adding twists a bit at a time. I would put a new string on it and start this process. You could get a string built if you wanted to go that route. I have always been able to adjust the brace height and get it quiet. If you use two sets of silencers spread them out about 4in apart.

Online AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
An 8 strand D97 will fix your problem.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
Sounds to me like you've gotten some great advice and you really don't really want to listen to it.

You've already made up your mind and no matter what you do to the bow, it's not gonna be "quiet enough" for you.

My suggestion....sell the bow...I bet someone else will be real happy with it     ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Sounds to me like you've gotten some great advice and you really don't really want to listen to it.

You've already made up your mind and no matter what you do to the bow, it's not gonna be "quiet enough" for you.

My suggestion....sell the bow...I bet someone else will be real happy with it       ;)  
[/QUOT
Bingo
Loose pins?  I can't even imagine how that could happen.  Have you tried the obvious and talked to BW about it?  They may have their faults, but customer service isn't one of them!     :)
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Keep in mind that with a new string you can get the brace height you want and a quiet bow.  Then the string will stretch and you will loose your quiet brace height, perhaps your knocking point and you'll need to add some twists to the string to get it back to the old brace height and reset the knocking point.  I've had to do this several times on some bows before the string finally settled down.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
I've had several PSA's. Some loud some not.

Experiment with a couple different strings. I went to B-50 and they where dead quiet. I know you loose a couple ft/sec but that is way better than a noisy bow.
Limb Savers worked well on one I had.

I use B-50 on my Bear Take downs too so it's not just a BW thing. Now my Hummingbird is SILENT with FF and no silencers on it and that is nice.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Our LRU D-10 8-strand, padded loop bikini string will take the bite ouuta that spider.  I should know since I have a PSA, PCH & PLX.  

Plus, we guarantee our strings 100%, offer best prices & free shipping!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
One more post and out of here. Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes by blasting BW bows. This bow is noisy and it's not just "my opinion". I have two other bows to compare it to. Guru, if you had read my replies you would see that most of the tweeks I've already tried and the ones I haven't I'm going to. My main complaint is that on a bow this expensive I shouldn't have this much trouble. Swamp Yankee, checking the take-down studs was one gentleman's suggestion and one of them was loose. Oh well, time to basically strip this bow down and start over.
Thanks for all your help. I'll let ya'll know how it comes out.

Ross
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
How about the operator. No offense intended, but does the bow sound as noisy when someone else shoots it? Could your release have something to do with it?
Ken Thornhill

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Over on another site, they have regular BW bashing threads and all sorts of pretenses are used to get them started such as having a "problem" and needing "advice".

I have a 1992 model MAII and have no problems with my bow being "too loud".  I use B-50 endless loop strings on my bow and a couple of those puffy wool things---my bow is as quiet as any other brand.  Oh, and I shoot 2117 aluminums and have no need of all the fancy weights etc. to make it shoot like it should.

I think you should get rid of the bow since it has been a pain for so long instead of complaining about it.

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
One more suggestion, try some Limbsavers ( the size made specifically for recurves are smaller and less obtrusive) on the limbs applied on the limbs about an inch below where the string contacts the limb in the string groove.  I tried them along with an 8 strand SBD string with padded loops and my recurve is VERY quiet.  The Limbsavers also take all vibration out of the bow at the shot which is nice, but not a necessity.  ~Steve

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and advice. Today I made and installed a 14 strand B-50 string and with the afore mentioned musk-ox wool silencers and the bow is very quiet and with a 7 1/2" brace height. At this point I feel very comfortable hunting with this bow. Hopefully it will remain quiet.

The Black Widow is back!
Ross
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
One other thing. Don't know if you have antler burr knobs or not, but I have a pair and the epoxy on one was loose it viberates when the bow was shot and made some noise. Didn't feel loose, caused me some irritation untill I found out what was making the noise.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Glad to hear it's working out for you. A quiet widow and sharp broadhead will get the job done!!!
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline jcarter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
do you have the rubber tip protector on the bow, mine fell off of my widow and it sounded like a shotgun going off without it...put another RUBBER tip protector on the bottom limb....night and day difference!
Black Widow PCH 47@28 in
Black Widow PLX 59#@28 in

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
First off there is something about them that I like, I have owned a pile of them and still own two, but the bottom line is that they are noisy and you'll work overtime to get them nearly but not as quiet as some other bows that need little silencing work at all. The Widow is no longer my go to bow but far from being my last choice as well, I will probably always own at least one but the fact is that they are not as quiet as some other more affordable and faster shooting bows, so work with it and if it works out then great and otherwise cut your losses and move on.
 They make and sell a quality product with excellent customer service, but the bow has got to work for you.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©