3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting setup, speed/arrow weight - opinions?  (Read 444 times)

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting setup, speed/arrow weight - opinions?
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
I need to get some opinions on a possible hunting setup I've been tinkering with.  I have a short draw, somewhere between 26-27".  I recently set up a 29" CX Heritage 150 with a 100gr brass insert, 145 grain point, 24 grain "home-brew" lighted nock, 6" wrap, and 3 5" shield cut feathers.  Total arrow weight is 604 grains.

The bow I'm using is right around 45-47# at my draw length, and it will shoot a full length Easton Excel 500 with a 145 grain point at 160-165 FPS (arrow weight of 424 grains).  The 604 grain CX arrow has a speed of 137-143 FPS.

My hunting setup last year was very similar - I was using a 608 grain arrow (29" 45-60 CX Terminator, regular nock, 100 grain brass insert, 145 grain Razorcap, 6" wrap, 5" shields) out of a 50-53# bow.  I never chronographed it, but at 10 yards and a steep angle it double-lunged a spike and was buried 6" in the dirt.  The bow was so quiet that the spike didn't know he was hit and died 15 yards from the stand after he went back to feeding.

My question is, at my draw and poundage, am I past the point where a heavy arrow is efficient and is actually detrimental?  I'm losing approx. 20 FPS when I add 175 grains to the total arrow weight, but is 137-143 FPS sufficient?  I'm not worried about close shots, but at shots up to 25 yards (my max. effective range) I'm worried that I may not have enough "oomph" to get good penetration.

Thanks in advance for all the opinions!

-AL-
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting setup, speed/arrow weight - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
If you can live with and shoot ok with the trajectory there should be no problem.For me personally much under 160 is too slow and effects my accuracy even at the 20yd mark.For heavy arrows I still like to be in the 160 to 170fps range and I can shoot real well on hunting shots.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©