3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should I feel bad?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
Should I feel bad?
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
I have been struggling with target panic for ever.  but I found my cure. When I have a clicker on my bow I get to full draw, I aim and release without snap shooting or all the other fun things that seems to go wrong without the clicker.  
The problem is:
Should I care that other people keep making negative comments about me using a clicker? it has gotten to the point that I took the clicker off and after about a week or two I am back to having all my classic problems. I thinking I need to put the clicker back on my bow, but I just get so tired of hearing crap from my fellow trad shooters. because some how I am less tradition.      :banghead:    

well thanks for reading, just wanted to get that off my chest.    :campfire:
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should I feel bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I think you know the answer already.  Use the clicker as long as you need it.  If that means forever...whatever.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
Stephen, i understand exactly what you are going through. When my TP started i also tried a clicker and got the comments or looks!

One shouldnt let others opinions sway them but it does!!! If the clicker works for you then use it and to heck with them!!

Also sending you a pm

Hang in there!
Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
Just make your skin a little thicker,if it works for you and enables you to shoot better and enjoy it,DO NOT WORRY WHAT OTHERS THINK !In all honesty clickers were quite common years ago.Do your own thing and enjoy it my friend.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
I wouldn't worry about what others say.  If using a tool   helps you shoot better then go for it. I've known several folks who have used clickers and didn't care one way or the other.

I live by this rule "if I don't sleep with them and they don't sign my check, then it doesn't matter what they think"

Do what works for toyota say.

Nick
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Big Shooter 1981

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
I never gave you any crap shooting at Tom's..yet   :saywhat:    I say do whatever works for you and ignore everybody else.
Nick
In the wind he's still alive

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
We were at th High Country shoot and a guy joined up with us that had one on his bow...I didn't necessarily think bad about him for it, but I will be honest I did wonder about it a little, and personally had reservations........that is until I saw him shoot.

He shot his bow very well!  I asked him bout the clicker, and he said it made all the difference in the world for him...and it showed.  .No more reservations for me.

We all want and should try to be as accurate as possible with our choice of weapon...if a clicker is what it takes, hold your head up high, especially when your arrow sails again and again to the vitals of your quarry.  No tradition loss there IMO.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Don't worry about what others say, block them out of your mind, more than likely they will battle with tp sooner or later and when it hits them they might ask you how to overcome it. I just sent a free cd the push release to another tradganger. We should all promote archery and help each other any way we can.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
I agree with everyone.. If the clicker makes you shoot better then use it..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline wckid2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
I went through target panic one year and dang near gave up. I put it down and didnt hunt anymore that year. That really sucked and almost went to compound. The next year I came back and fought it again. Finally killed a deer by shear luck after about 20 missed shots. Dont let people get you down man. You wont have to use it for ever. Do what makes you a better shot and ignore the BS. My buddies bought run me into the ground over it. Since then Ive kille two pope n young bucks. Good luck buddy.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
Click away.No one should care.You might be getting ribbed a little bit.But thats human nature to a degree.If you shoot better and complete your shooting sequence better with a clicker,have at it.Enjoy yourself,enjoy your shooting and enjoy hitting the mark.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
I have this theory about people who need to mock others when they use a tool to become a better shooter.  Since it is unkind and includes references to stupidity and small body parts I will not repeat it here.  

Ignore the ribbing and do what it takes to shoot well.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
What ever works for you is ok with me,if it improves your shooting more power to ya.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »
Agree on the above...to each his own and piss on the negative people.  You can look at it as an ethical choice as well if it makes you a better shot...means more effectively placed arrows on your game.  I just read and commented on a similiar question over at Mike Hanback's blog...we quibble with each other over the little things so much that it can eventually be our demise.  I think you'll see here the support you have.  Don't let the bad eggs ruin the whole carton, do what works for you.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Use what works for you!!
>>>------John------>

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
If someone didn't like your wife's hair, would you divorce her?

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »
I've been there with target panic and won't judge what others do to help work it out. The people making negative comments should fight TP for a while, they would sing a new song.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »
I've been shooting with a clicker for 20 years now. It's just how I soot. For me, it works pretty darn good!   :cool:  

If someone pokes fun at mine while we are at a shoot, I tell 'em "it's all fun and games until we turn the score cards in"!   :biglaugh:

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »

Don't sweat it, do what's right for you    :thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
In most cases Olympic recurve shooters consider the clicker as integral to their bow as their arrow rest, whether they "need it" or not.

I'm glad you found something to work for you.

Bowhunters, especially recurve, longbow, and selfbow shooters are among the most independent of all hunters. So, you can be even more independent if it suits your personal need.

I've run into bowhunters who raise eyebrows when they hear I shoot Does or that I will pass up bucks they would have shot. We all know folks who have received grief for shooting forkies and basket-racks.

Someone who would give you grief over shooting a clicker have either:
1. never had a bout with TP
2. have no idea how effective a clicker can be
3. have TP but would rather struggle, miss, and wound than fix it.

I would use a clicker in a heartbeat if I ever needed it.
I prefer your kind.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©