3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ti Goat V. Kifaru Stove...tent stove advice wanted  (Read 405 times)

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ti Goat V. Kifaru Stove...tent stove advice wanted
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:16:00 AM »
I am looking at purchasing a small tent stove to be used in my tipi tent...GoLite shangri-la 5...I am looking at the Titanium Goat small box stove and the Kifaru small box stove.  I like both the companies.  I am looking at ultralight for pack in hunts, so the ti-goat is looking better at a pound less and the titanium has it's benefits, maybe worth the extra $70 or so...I like the design of the Kifaru as far as the all-threads holding the box tight together rather than some screws I can lose...I know Kifaru's are tested and designed by the best...Please help if you have any experience with either or drop another brand i should look at, please.  Thanks for your help, this is going to drive me nuts.    :pray:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ti Goat V. Kifaru Stove...tent stove advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »
If I was going with a TiGoat stove, it would be the cylinder.  Of the two box stoves I have used from both companies, the Kifaru was more solid.  Tighter is the best way I can describe.

I know "Ed T" is making a cylinder stove now, cannot recall if he is doing a box.  He used to make the Kifaru models.  Seek Outside may be something you want to look at.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
I have the Seekoutside large stove that Steve is talkin about, but because of this arrow footing project I'm trying to get perfected, I have not had time to even get the initial burn on the stove.  On thier website, there is some very good literature and videos.  It was that info that prompted me to buy it.

PM me for the website.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
I have a Kifaru.  Never tried the T Goat.  Kifaru works fine and is pretty easy to set up.  The medium kifaru is a little bigger than the small T-goat and a little smaller than the large T-goat.  Don't know the size of your tent, but the medium Kifaru is plenty big for a 6-person Kifaru tipi.  

I think the T-goat would be a lot easier to set up (than it is now, and easier than setting up the Kifaru) if one had thumb nuts on the end of the screws.  Much easier to keep track of and use.  Don't know if those could be purchased after market.  Certainly could be made.  That's something the manufacturer should think about.  Could carry a hand full of those and not worry about losing one or two of them.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
i have been looking at all three of the above mentioned. Like seekoutside but will probably try to make my own as I have a small supply of Ti plate.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the help and opinions....anywone else?

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I have the Kifaru and am not real impressed.  (There was a thread several months back discussing this at length.)

My issue with the Kifaru is the lack of seal.  It's either blazing or out.  In a pinch its good, but get ready to have tons of small wood. (it will eat it as fast as you can feed it.)

If you can get away with the bulk, I'd buy a welded, sealed titanium stove.  Sealed stoves you can light, burn down, stoke, and turn down for a comfortable slow burn.  My 2cents.

Jeff

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
I like the small kifaru box stove.  They are easy to set up but heavy.  EdT's cylinder stove is the best thing going.  Can't recommend him or his products enough...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
I am checking out Ed T's website and Seekoutsides, thanks for the direction to all of you...I guess I need to consider a cylinder stove...what are you exeriences as far as cooking / boiling on them?

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Milk River Stickman:
I am checking out Ed T's website and Seekoutsides, thanks for the direction to all of you...I guess I need to consider a cylinder stove...what are you exeriences as far as cooking / boiling on them?
Directions to Ed T's website???

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Who makes an all welded Titanium stove? Have you seen one Jeff? I have an all welded cylinder stove for my spike tent it will burn a long time. But it weighs 35 lbs. I have been looking at the Ti Goat to save on space and weight. None of the the colapsable stoves are great as far as burn times but I just figured that is the trade off. I want to be able to get all my gear on one horse I have it done with what I have but if I ditch the 30 lbs it means I can bring something extra or just give my horse a break!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I just purchased a 6 man with a med stove.  I have never seen any of the stove mentioned except on line.  

I have already starting thinking, why can't the use some type of gasket material similar to a wood burning stove door to make the stoves more air tight, that would help them burn longer, without adding a lot of  weight. A then gasket glued in place.

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
i have the 6 man seekoutside tipi and their medium stove.  I also have Kifaru's parastove. I also have a 4 dog night steel stove.  You will not go wrong with any of these companies.  Seekoutside uses titanium so they are a bit lighter.  Kifaru uses s. steel.  I have their smallest stove (parastove).  It is a great little stove.  I use it when I am solo hunting.  4 dog is a sealed solid stove.  It burns great, but it is way too heavy to pack in unless a horse or mule is doing it.  I use it in my shop or for car camping.

The medium Seek Outside stove is almost to large for me.  I live in the south and it rarely gets below freezing. It will chase you out of the tent.  For the 6 man size, it is great, especially if you live in a colder area of the country.

Hope this helps.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Four Dog Stove in MN make a solid titanium stove, I think mine weights in at about 18lbs its about 11inchs wide by about 22 inches long give or take, can get it with titaniun sectioned pipe.  If  your packinging with animal support it might be a good way to go.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
You guys are talking two different animals here.  You are not going to have an airtight "all night" stove that weighs 3lb and goes in your backpack!

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Scott, if you want a solid titanium "all night" stove that doesn't break down I can highly recommend the 4-dog titanium stove.  I have used the largest one that Don Kevilus makes for a few years in my 16-man Kifaru tipi.  I'm having him custom make me a larger one.  It's air tight and it can be dampened down and burn times, depending on the quality of the wood available, is several hours.

The  titanium stove pipe from 4-dog is the only way to go.

Again, as Steve says, the 4-dog titanium stoves aren't designed to be collapsible and put into a backpack.  But they are very lightweight and airtight.   Just the ticket for flying in where the weight of a steel stove isn't practical.

Here's the website:   http://fourdog.com/titanium-ul-stoves/

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
You guys are talking two different animals here.  You are not going to have an airtight "all night" stove that weighs 3lb and goes in your backpack!
Agreed! I'm no expert on stoves, but based on my experiences with a Kifaru large stove and on what I have learned from others, Steve is right on the money.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
I just handled Ed Tyanich's stoves (and keep in mind he designed for Kifaru) along with some other lightweight folding stoves, and I'm going to buy his 12" cylinder stove to replace a medium folder that I'll sell.  What they weigh and pack down to, in addition to wood capacity and heat transfer, is superior to anything else I've seen.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Jock,
 I do not see the cylinder stove on the seek outside web is it new. Why is the cylinder better? I have a 10x10 canvas spike tent will that stove heat it? What are the burn times? The only fold downs I have seen are Simms. They where the big ones for big tents and loaded to the hilt maybe two hours. Now it is not that sleeping in the cold is a problem but you have to get up to keep it going to dry clothes.
Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Where can I look at the stoves that Ed T makes?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©