3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ti Goat V. Kifaru Stove...tent stove advice wanted  (Read 406 times)

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ti Goat V. Kifaru Stove...tent stove advice wanted
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Just made my titanium copy cat stove .  burned a little fire with a make shift beer can stove pipe. My first impression are these things will put out some heat and I feel are pretty darn efficient considering. i think with a damper and good door and proper pipe ,this stove would burn for a few hours. I think the specific shelter used may have a big effect on how someone views these stoves, also. I can't wait to play with it some more .

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Scott,

The fourdog Ultralight is the stove I'm talking about.  Its way nicer than the collapsables (for flying or stock packing).  Backpacking it would be a stretch.  

You can actually cook on it if you don't mind the bears.  :) .

Biggest negative in my mind is the price. However, I guess its one of those lifetime purchases based on its burnout resistance.  

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »
Www.edtsbackcountry.com.  tell him i sent you and he might charge you double...lol.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Thanks Jeff,
The price is up there but as you say and I agree it becomes minmimal after you factor in how long you will have it.
Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I hunted with John Havard and got to experience the 4 dog Ti stove in action.  It is a great stove that works well on the fly in or pack in hunts.

I have the 5 dog for my wall tent in steel.  It's very stout and works great.  Only it weighs 75 pounds.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
 Www.edtsbackcountry.com.  tell him i sent you and he might charge you double...lol.
Thanks, Biathlonman. Hope you don't mind if I fail to mention your name!!!   :biglaugh:

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Some good opinions and suggestions thanks a bunch guys!  Kevin, I see someone put up the website..I just pm'd you back, been gone for several days, sorry I didn't get it to you sooner...anyone have an answer about the cylinder stoves v. the takedown box stoves?  Remmeber, I'm packing in on my back...I haven't located a picture of how the cylinder's roll up...?  Also, how are they to cook on?  How long could a guy get a 12" to burn if he got good at it?  Thanks in advance.

Luke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
whew...can't swing the price on a four dog.  Quite a bit heavier than the ti-goat, Ed T's, too.  I bet they last forever, though.

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
4 dogs are great! If you are close to a horse or a truck.
I just replaced my Kifaru med with Ed T's 16" cyl. stove.it works great and saved me about 4 lbs.
Tim

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Luke,

You have to feed these small stoves almost coninuously to keep them going.  You are not going to put logs in them and wake up the next morning to a warm tent or even embers.  They keep the shelter warm and comfy while you are awake.  you are going to have to have a nice warm sleeping bag no matter what.  I sent you a PM with some good info on the cylinder stove.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Steve O, you've been a big help, thanks.

Tim, I think your spot on.

Luke

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©