3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BigFoot Sasquatch "Sweet 16" T/D Longbow  (Read 455 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
BigFoot Sasquatch "Sweet 16" T/D Longbow
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
It can be a deal buster at times swinging a 64" (or longer) longbow when up in a tree stand perch, on the hunt for critters.  Or sitting in a compact ground blind.  This is particularly true of hunt venues like Solana and those skitterish Texas whitetails.  I was lucky this year in harvesting one, but there were at least a few times when trying to snake an arrow through a leafy tree branch hole can be limiting by the length of yer bow.

I recently took receipt of a prototype Bigfoot Sasquatch T/D longbow that Kirk dreamed up after we had a conversation about a short hybrid for a 29" draw length.  He designed this bow around a 16" T/D riser, and mated a set of limbs that would yield a 58" total length that would work for a 29" draw length.  

My goal was a 58" hybrid that would feel good to draw and shoot, and would give the added advantage of more arrow speed with a heavier arrow (for hogs) and also a flatter trajectory.  This new Sasquatch does just that for me.

I spun up a 10 strand Dyneema'02 bowstring, tied on a nock point and settled in the brace height at 7-1/8".  No time for adding Hush Puppy wool string silencers, that'll come some time later.

I took the little rocket launcher out to my fenced in side yard and grabbed handful of 600 grain, 29.5" woodies with judo points and big 5.25" full helical feathers, and took some 10 yard shots at an 18" foam block.  The bow's bamboo core limbs draw very smoothly to 29" and offered near 52# holding weight.  After a few settling in shots, those little feathered sticks were pretty much going where i wanted them to go at that short distance.      

No sense in fooling around, I backed off to 30 yards and that's when this bow kicked in the afterburners.  A real flat shooter.

The upshot is that I like this bow a lot.  The craftsmanship and materials are top shelf and not to be exceeded.  The compact hybrid longbow design is just fine for a 29" draw length: no finger pinch, smooth drawing and no stacking, really spits out the arrows.  The slim handle fits me perfectly, and that's always important.

I suspect Kirk may be adding this Sweet 16 design to his bow model stable.  A good thing.     :thumbsup:  

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BigFoot Sasquatch "Sweet 16" T/D Longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the review Rob   :)  Sweet looking bow, can't wait to try one out eventually  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
>>>------John------>

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
This the kind of review I like to see here.Well done Rob,thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
Nice looking bow......Thanks for the review..!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
I always see Kirk's bows with lots of radius cuts and accent woods. It's interesting looking at this bow where you can just enjoy the grain of the wood and the curves that have been smoothed into it. That said, those are some really pretty belly ramps! Is it just me, or does this shorter riser put a little more aggressive angle on the limb mounting plane than the normal length Sasquatch riser?

Congrats Rob, sounds and looks like a great bow!
Thom

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Sweet Bow Rob, I love both of my Bigfoots.   :clapper:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Good looking bow Rob. Can't say that one looks like anything else out there.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
really nice looking bow Rob.   :thumbsup:  

High performance hidden in a simple and elegant form.

....jeez I can hardly wait for mine...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Very nice bow,I am waiting for Bigfoot to show up at my place, after reading your review,Rob, it makes the wait even harder. LOL   :thumbsup:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Great stuff Rob. Look like Kirk has made another good one.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I have a Sasquatch L/B, 62# at 29 IN. 60 in. in length. I cannot say enough good things about Kirk's bows. Bow review posted on Product reviews. Rob, good choice, you will love that bow.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Great lines. Looks like you are on your way to becoming a recurve shooter...  ;)
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:
I always see Kirk's bows with lots of radius cuts and accent woods. It's interesting looking at this bow where you can just enjoy the grain of the wood and the curves that have been smoothed into it. That said, those are some really pretty belly ramps! Is it just me, or does this shorter riser put a little more aggressive angle on the limb mounting plane than the normal length Sasquatch riser?

Congrats Rob, sounds and looks like a great bow!
Thom
First of all thanks for the great review Rob.   :thumbsup:  It always makes a little extra effort  worth while. I've been procrastinating about coming out with a 16" riser on these things and Rob got me going on it.  I like that "Sweet 16" tag you put on it bro... that one is going to stick I'm thinking.   :clapper:

Thom,  As to your question regarding fade angles. Nope.... the angles are the same.... BUT... the geometry is different believe it or not. even though you have the same length limb as the 60" model, the shorter string drawing the same 29-30" applies different leverage on the limb. if i take the same set of limbs and mount them on both the 18" and the 16" riser there is about 5 pounds difference. but more significantly it alters the stacking point. in order to get identical DFC charts and maintain the smooth draw, it requires shifting the wedges a bit and lengthening the working portion of the limb to accommodate a longer draw.

here is a crude drawing showing the two bow lengths. you really need to overlay circles at full draw to see the difference. but the 16" riser tightens up the radius considerably.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
SWEEET looking bow  :thumbsup:  Great review   :archer2:

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Hi Kirk
So this is the bow you mentioned in your last email, I have been waiting for thir review very impressive looking bow. What are the timbers used in this one . Is the riser Ipe?

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Is it bad that my heart started beating faster when I was looking at that bow? Wow!
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Sweet Looking Bow Rob!
James Kerr

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Great looking bow, it has some great looking lines for a 16" riser and being 58" (love the wood)  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
I keep coming back to look at this bow it's getting harder & harder to decide on what i want with my new Sasquatch coming up in the end of May. Only two months to work it out!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©