3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mikey figured it out...4 point footing w/ pics. Motor City Machetes strikes again  (Read 226 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
It has taken me a little while (quite a while) and a whole lot of trial and error, but I have finally figured out the 4 point wood footing.  

The journey has been great, I have been to quite a few arrow making shops, got some AWESOME ideas (and motivation) from Steve O on the whole process and picked up other ideas from all around to make my own jigs, and without further ado, I present to you the latest model to roll off the line here at the Motor City Machete shop.

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Very cool!    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Atta boy Mike!! Is that bocote? I thought about doin some with that. Did you end up using the method we discussed?  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Yes it is bacote.  I'll send you a PM with my way Ryan, and when I get time, I will do a full How-to on here.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
If anybody is really interested in doing their own footings, I STRONGLY suggest you get the new DVD by Connie and Gary Renfro on how to make a footed arrow.  It takes so much of the guesswork out of the whole process.  I did mine the same in some of the steps as the Renfro's, and then I did some the Motor City Machete way.  

Here is the jig I made to open the footing so that all the glue is not pushed out when inserting the shaft.   Works perfect.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
+1 on the Renfro DVD.  The jigs, tools and techniques they show are priceless.  Nice work, Mike.  I want to get some done this Spring and have some wood from IdahoCurt that is begging for use.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks like great stuff.   You did such a great job and along with the bacote, it is kind of hard to see.

More picture would be awesome.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike, you are one super ambitious dude!  Looks great.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Yeah, the doctor tried giving me Ritlin last week.  Told him I like goin in all directions.

I have the shafts on the drying rack right now.  I'm hoping to get them all done and ready to stick a pig down at Ray's with them next weekend.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike, very nice. I would like to see how you round them out myself. Thanks for sharing your success. Congrats.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by flint kemper:
Mike, very nice. I would like to see how you round them out myself. Thanks for sharing your success. Congrats.
There are 3 ways I know of.  1 would be to use a hand plane to remove most of the stock, then sandpaper after that.  2nd way would be to use a router in a home made jig (I made one and have used it with fair success).  3rd and preferred by me is to us a 12" disc sander to remove most of the stock (once again with home built jigs), then chuck it into a drill and run it thru progressively finer sand paper.

I'm going to incorporate #2 and #3 together next time, and then I think I will be where I want to be. I'll use the disc sander and jig first, then into the router jig, then progressively finer sand paper (80 grit down to 400 grit).

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Perfect job Mike! Way to go.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Man-O-Man Mike! Those look fantastic! Great job....and thinking about the past, I cannot ever remember seeing Bacote used as a footing.  Very cool.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Really nice work there Mike.  And I second Ricker...not seen Bocote used as a footing before....really looks great!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Those look sweet!  Great job  :clapper:  
Good luck with the hogs.  If you ever head down there again, I may have to tag along...tell Ray and Larry I said hi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©