3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FOC recomendation for hunting  (Read 333 times)

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
FOC recomendation for hunting
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I have been looking for threads or opinions for Arrow FOC for whitetails, elk, hogs etc... Any help would be appreciated. What I've found isn't helping. Thank you.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FOC recomendation for hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
All my hunting arrows are 20+ FOC, that's just the way I've tuned them to my bows. All else equal higher the FOC the better......but FOC is pretty far down the list as far as priority for my arrows.....sharp and tuned are #1 and #2(actually s/b tie for #1)

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
If you can keep your overall arrow weight within your ability to shoot accurately at your hunting ranges then the higher the foc the better.
shoot straight shoot often

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Personal observations:

Very noticeable gains at 25%

Quite significant gains at 30%

Penetration seemingly redefined at 32%
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Frankly, I'm new to trad archery but I adjusted my FOC to 21% and I'm very satisfied.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Personal satisfaction is key to where you want to be parked.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
I personally see no real benefit for me too make higher foc arrows to hunt the animals you described other than picking a shaft and throwing a 150-200 grainhead on it and hunt.  I have no idea what the foc is.  I do agree a higher foc on say a 500 grain arrow will get you better performance on penetration than a 500 grain arrow with a 125 grainhead though.  I just got a bunch of 150 grain heads and aluminium shafts.  If not I would shoot a standard GT traditional carbon with a footed aluminium on it, and a 200 grain head.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:13:00 AM »
I make up an arrow that shoots good out of my bow that will be around the over all weight I want the arrow to be then worry about FOC. My current arrows come out to about 20%. All this FOC stuff is fun to look at and play with but when it comes right down to it. The most important aspect of all your equipment is a very sharp broadhead, a fairly heavy arrow, and SHOT PLACEMENT!
James Kerr

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
I have found that for me, shooting in the mid fifties, and my wife, shooting in the mid forties, a hunting arrow with 200-225 grains gives us both at least 2 holes in bear and deer (and a moose I shot a few years ago only made it about 10 yards). I see no need to go higher in point weight as I have the formula figured out for our respective bows and arrow shaft choices.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
I started this thread asking about this FOC yesterday. Since then I put in at least 4 hours testing various set ups with my 3 longbows. I love the flight of these set ups, beautiful and true. My groups of 3 are easier to obtain, seem to hit hard and beautiful to watch. The gpp is about 12 on 2 set ups at 28", probably a little more since I draw slightly less. The third is at about 10.5 gpp with a 17.5% FOC, the other 2, 22.6% and 20.6%. The lighter set up is perceptably faster and flatter. Total arrow weight is 570gr., the 0ther 2 730gr. and 620gr. I feel more confident now than ever having spent the time tuning these set ups. It will be a long hard wait to experience the tuning in a hunting situation. Now to work on the broadheads for scary sharp. This is fun, no doubt love the journey.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©