3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon insert glues???  (Read 587 times)

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon insert glues???
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
I use Gorilla Glue.  I've never lost an insert and it's heat reversible.  I shot the iron pig at ATAR and of course it ruined the arrow, but the part of the shaft that was touching the insert was perfectly fine.  10 inches up the shaft, though, it looked like a slinky (Easton Excel 500).
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon insert glues???
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
I've not had a problem with them pulling out...but you hit a softball or bigger sized rock with my setup and you'll quickly find out the heirarchy of adhesives.

I've tried a bunch of different glues (powerbond, gorilla glue, various CA(superglues) glues including the goat tuff and loctite brands, all the hot melts I could find, devcon slow and quick cure epoxy as well as a couple of off brands, and Easton epoxy packaged with axis type arrows) and found nothing would keep the inserts from being pushed into and mushrooming the shaft until just recently trying JB Weld. This is by far the toughest I've used, followed by gorilla glue and powerbond. I'll probably start footing my carbons because a really hard hit will snap the shaft above the insert instead of mushrooming like it used to.

My local golf shop uses a cheap epoxy, nothing special. However, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used any special purpose golf glue in comparison to other glues they've tried.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©