3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Triple Carbon???  (Read 711 times)

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Triple Carbon???
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Ok, single carbon would be carbon on back or belly.  Double carbon would be on both back and belly.  Triple carbon would be what?  Thanks in advance.

Keith
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Triple Carbon???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Carbon in the core,back,belly= triple carbon.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Wow!  They must have a crazy flat cast.  Does yours draw smooth like bamboo cores or do they have a noticeably stiffer draw cycle?

Thank you Mr. Shepherd.

Keith

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I don't notice much in the draw on triple carbon but I do notice it on the release.  The bow has just a differnt feel at the shot.
John
habujohn

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Believe my triple carbon vyperkahn to be:

Carbon back
Bamboo
Carbon center
Bamboo
Carbon belly
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
My XXX carbon/foam Bigfoot is
carbon back
foam
carbon center
foam
carbon belly
AND MAY I MENTION ALSO SMOKIN FAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I gotcha now.  Thanks for clearing that up for me guys it now makes perfect sense.  So John and Scott, do the Vyperkahns have a wood vaneer and glass over the carbon back or are they black carbon fiber like Centaurs?  I've never seen a Habu without the beautiful wood vaneers.

Keith

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
The Habu's have clear glass over veneers and then over carbon.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
the bow of Andys has veneer on the outside of the bow on the back. There was no glass unless it was under the wood.
I sanded the wood when I put the copperheads on it.
As said the triple carbon is generaly a lam dead center between the tapers.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
LOL!  I wish it all made perfect sense to me.

i just got through typing about 3 pages here to try and explain the dynamics in layman terms and i decided to bag the whole idea. there is just nothing simple about it.

a single carbon limb with the carbon directly on the back of the limb adds more strength with less mass weight and you get better performance in terms of speed.

a double carbon bow with the carbon directly on the belly and back becomes a different animal all together. you have two opposing forces stronger than steel and lighter weight than fiberglass. But when it's put under a load it's only as strong as the material it is glued to, or the glue joint itself. if it's not balance perfectly, or even when it is, if it is drawn over the design limitations.... Kaaaaa-Boom! thar she blows mate!

Now take those two pieces of carbon belly and back and put veneers and glass over them.... no problem. but you've just lost some of your horse power by adding the extra weight to the limb. The carbon still does its job in the stability department though, and it's a very good trade off in a recurve limb.

Now when you put a third piece of carbon in the middle between these two opposing forces i believe it effects the neutral plane in that it's acting as an opposing force to the back and belly carbon. Even though it's in the neutral plane, the fact is, it does not compress. So it's taking on a load and easing the load typically transferred to the belly carbon alone....

Did you get all that?  Ya...Riiiiight.... Clear as mud eh.   :biglaugh:

The really weird part about it is... if you just put one piece of carbon in the center of the limb using glass belly and back you just bought yourself a very expensive racing stripe. There is no advantage at all.IMO... You might as well use a piece of wood that is lighter weight.

sorry i got long winded here... my first attempt was 3 times as long.   :rolleyes:

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
Thank you for the clarification on carbon lams Kirk II.

It is perfectly clear now....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
Huh, this is interesting. I would never have thought about putting carbon fiber on a trad bow. It just doesn't seem very traditional to me. I like the looks of all the woods.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »
Here we go again.    :coffee:
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
I have a 3 carbon Habu also and I've tried to find the glass lam. in the limbs.I sure can't see it so if it's in there is must be as thin a Scotch tape????????????

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
Interesting and informative explanation, Kirk. Personally I never really cared for bows with carbon in the limbs. I guess I'm just an old geezer that's used to glass and maple cores and have been satisfied with the performance. I really believe that by simply putting a low stretch string on an older bow you increase perfomance greatly. Messing with carbon and foam is certainly unique and interesting though. I'll stay tuned to what happens in the next couple of years.

Kirk, worndering if you were going to make the trip east for the Baltimore Classic this year? I spent some time at the shoot talking bow design with you and really enjoyed it. I have a couple of your lam sleds that are working out super. Really a bummer about the stolen bow last year. I can tell you that the general feeling around the shoot was that we would have loved to have caught the guy and strung him up.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
I thought some bowyers put carbon in the core only for torzional stability? Would that make it different than a racing stripe? Or is it a special glass and not carbon at all?   :dunno:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Killie,  

Perhaps I made the novice mistake of posting a question I could have found the answer to using the search engine first.  Seems to be mild mannered thus far, but I see how this could get muddy in the areas of physics and of course the proverbial "degree of traditional".  My bad, truly my intentions were in earnest.

Kirk, wonderful summary and I really think you are putting out some great stuff.  You are on my list.  

Thanks to all,

~CB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shane C:
Huh, this is interesting. I would never have thought about putting carbon fiber on a trad bow. It just doesn't seem very traditional to me. I like the looks of all the woods.
The evolution of using carbon fiber in bow limbs is a wonderful thing. The additional stability and power it adds to a limb allows a lot of us old timers to shoot lighter weight bows with the same momentum as a bow 10 pounds heavier.

When you love to stalk moose, or bears, or elk with a stick bow the added power gives you piece of mind.

Here you go.... 3 out of these 4 have carbon limbs. Are these "Traditional" enough for you?

If it isn't... How about this double carbon side by side with an orginal Howard hill bow. Can you pick out the HH bow?

Kirk, worndering if you were going to make the trip east for the Baltimore Classic this year?  

Yup.... only I'm just packing a few select bows, and spend my time shooting this year. I'm going to donate an Obsidian bow like the ones above for a raffle though.    Kirk

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
CB, my perhaps unnecessary interjection was stimulated by the "is this trad?" post I ran across at two in the morning.

Hadn't seen one in a while and I got a drowsy giggle out of it.   :)  

By all means, I found your question most pertinent and the answers interesting. What I know about carbon is limited to the remains of campfires. Thank you for starting this topic.

Killdeer   :campfire:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Kirk, I am glad that you will make the trip. I felt horrible when I found out that you had been robbed at the shoot. And donating a bow to boot? You are a big man.

I hope that we can shoot a bit, and that you share some time at a campfire with me.

Killdeer    :campfire:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©