3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow PSR?. FOUND ONE..  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Boreal Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow PSR?. FOUND ONE..
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
I searched for a review on this bow and found one done in 2005. I was hoping that someone can give me a review and there thoughts on this bow.
I am a Longbow guy and this is the only recurve bow that I have seen that I really want to shoot/own so I am looking to see how it performs?
The one thread I found two people said, "for them" it "didn't perform well at longer distances"????
Its going to be either a BW PRS or BW PL?
your thoughts?
thanks

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow PSR?. FOUND ONE..
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Ive owned 3 PLs and loved EVERY single one of them all newer than 2009s

I owned 1 SAG back in 2000 and it was brutal....Ive heard that the new PSR's are much better..I dont know Ive not shot one of those.

I love BW LB's they are the bomb!!!!!

Dewayne Martin
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline Boreal Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
Anyone have one or have shot one?

Offline distantbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
I have two 54", 65@28". One with the SAG grip, one with the newer "standard" grip. Both are great bows to shoot and not at all bad to look at !!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
I have owned several PSRs and SAGs. I liked them all. I liked the grip better on the SAG and the last PSR I had was made with the Sag grip. They will shoot no different at long distances than any other bow.
John

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
I had a real nice PSRX that I should have never sold. They shoot real nice and are very smooth pulling with good speed. For my use an excellent close range blind bow.

For long range shooting, IMO the takedown three piece model bows that BW makes are a better choice. The higher mass weight riser makes the shooting platform more stable.

With all that being said I shoot the PCHX bows better than any of their other models. They seem to shine in every aspect of shooting, hunting, 3d, target.

I think it really depends what you like and what you plan on using the bow for most. With BW there are no wrong choices.

Glen

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
TTT
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Why don't you try the test drive program? Only costs $60 to try a bow out (shipping both ways) I have a PMA coming to try out this week
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
They're probably referring to its length and lack of mass. It's a light bow, meant for blinds and tree stands. I shoot a PMA and a PSA, both do very well in 3D at longer distances. Especially the PMA (in my case).
Enjoy your Widow. I know I do.
Marco

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Take a look at the Kota Killum

The BW PSR has the same handle as the BW PL series.
I love my BW PL.  But I also love my two Kota bows.

And Kota's are roughly half the price of a new BW and come with much nicer wood options unless you get into the BW "X" series which can be really big bucks.

Don't get me wrong.  I like both of my BW bows.  But for the money you can easily find something you are looking for that will perform side by side with the Widow.  We have to be honest, with a BW you are paying a lot for the name...nothing wrong with that either.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I have owned two BLack Widows with one being a PCH.  I think the folks there are great and they have a quality product also, however they did not work out for me.  I did find them noisier than other bows I own and ended up selling them.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Oops, sorry wrong thread

Offline JIMH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I have a 2008 psr3 50 #. It is a great shooting bow. I use it for hunting and 3D shoots. Love it and the way it handles.
JIMH
     STAY CALM & PICK A SPOT
    GREAT BASIN PACKGOATS

BW PSR3 49#
HOYT  DORADO 45#

Offline Boreal Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the info all.
I will have to try the test drive program for sure. As I said I am a LB guy and was looking into BW LB's when I sa the PSR and thought "thats a recurve for me". Being a black widow I new it wasn't got to be bad that is for sure. The woods i hunt in is real thick so small bows are handy. But, realy I would want it as my everything bow as i can't afford to have a BW for just "sometimes"!!!
smooth, fast, accurate... i like it, is it noisey?
thanks again.

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Mine is as quiet as there longbow.  I'm very happy with it just a thud at the shot.  Although I don't use there stock string it seems to make the bow a little nosier.

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
I consider myself a longbow shooter, but I have not always been...I have been shooting recurves since I was 15 and bought a BW  MA the year after I graduated from college. I was hooked on the quality of BW and shot their recurves happily; until I shot the PL!

Since then (about 8 yrs ago) I have purchased 2 PSRs (as well as 2psa's, a pch and 3 other Pl's of different lenght and #) trying to supplement my PL. I sold both of the PSRs within a few months....

I will say they are better shooters than most recurves out there I have tried but I would quickly say every other BW model is way more enjoyable to shoot (of course this is only my opinion and surely someone else will disagree! But you asked for our input).

The PL is my favorite bow to shoot, I currently have 2 with the same specs, and I have a PCH of same weight to fill the needs a longbow cannot.

My humble advice....if your looking for your "go to bow", buy a PL. if you're looking for a recurve to supplement your LB, try a PCH (at least as a comparison to the PSR). Either way you will love BW bows!

Enjoy!!!!

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Btw, as a LB shooter you might consider the "low wrist" grip on the non-PSR recurves. I find it more similar to the PL/PSR grip.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
I went to the Black Widow factory when I was considering between their Pl series longbow and a Tomahawk. While I was there I probably shot about every model bow they have. The PSR was one of my favorites along with the PSA. The PSR is a quick little bow and it shoots very well.
James Kerr

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »

Offline Boreal Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Any other companies make these "50's style" or "retro" recurves other than BW?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©