3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CO OTC units for elk?  (Read 329 times)

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
CO OTC units for elk?
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I have no idea what units to narrow my search down to. Can anyone help? I will be doing a DIY hunt probably alone. Been training for this for a few months, and I just need some help and advice to narrow down the search.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CO OTC units for elk?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
if you can get a co rules and regs book (internet) there will be unit maps and will also tell you what units are limited or unlimited. unlimited units means a unlimited number of tags will be sold. i would recommend getting and reading the reg book. you can print one off the website.   :thumbsup:
Kevin Day

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Get on CO DPW website and start  reading through all the info there, they have a new page called GMU  tip Sheets that have lot of information  in one spot. Also look through  the archery statistics  on their sight. I don't have a particular  unit for you as that can change year to year. I have hunted units 28 and 231 with success but it's been a while. The earlier  u hunt in the season, the less far you have to walk in,but they don't respond to calls as well. Once black powder season  opens, the easy hunting is over.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Do you have any idea at all where you want to hunt in Colorado?  Any unit close to the Front Range is going to have limited licenses.  Application deadline is April 3rd (or so).  You can start applying for preference points, get your money back (minus application fee) and still come to Colorado and by an OTC license.  There are lots of great units with quality bulls (280-320") in OTC units.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Geezer:
Do you have any idea at all where you want to hunt in Colorado?  Any unit close to the Front Range is going to have limited licenses.  Application deadline is April 3rd (or so).  You can start applying for preference points, get your money back (minus application fee) and still come to Colorado and by an OTC license.  There are lots of great units with quality bulls (280-320") in OTC units.
Really, I'm just looking for a decent starting point unit. I'm not concerned with anything limited or anything that I have to apply for because if for some miracle I was chosen, I feel like I would waste the opportunity in a good unit when I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want to do the OTC units and get a good feel for the mountains, the scouting, the altitude, the solitude, and just figure out what to do from there. Harvesting is really the last thing on my mind. I just want to find them, try to put together a plan of attack and gain experience and wisdom. I just have no one to go with, it is either do it myself or don't do it at all. Can't afford an outfitter, and the trip will likely be 12-15 hrs drive time anyway. Teacher pay ain't that great, but they are giving me the time off to hunt elk in the first place, so I can't complain.

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
On another note, I'm a flatlander, and just getting used to the mountains and altitude will be a challenge. Working hard to prepare for it though.

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
I sent a PM.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
I was fortunate enough to join an established camp, my first trip. Personally I think it helped the learning curve tremendously. I would keep trying to narrow down your areas, but I would definitely keep an eye out for folks looking for other hunters to share camp with. You may be able to learn a lot from them about the area and its elk habits, as well as possibly build some new friendships. I'll PM you some info on OTC area to get you started but if you get the opportunity to share camp with someone in a different area, I would jump on it.

Jeremy
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by JLeMieux:
I was fortunate enough to join an established camp, my first trip. Personally I think it helped the learning curve tremendously. I would keep trying to narrow down your areas, but I would definitely keep an eye out for folks looking for other hunters to share camp with. You may be able to learn a lot from them about the area and its elk habits, as well as possibly build some new friendships. I'll PM you some info on OTC area to get you started but if you get the opportunity to share camp with someone in a different area, I would jump on it.

Jeremy
I would love to, Jeremy. I really would, but I just moved to this area in OK, and I just don't really know anyone that hunts. I am in the middle of hunting heaven for whitetail and waterfowl, but no one is interested in taking up hunting time to come with me or let me tag along. These forums are my only chance to maybe find someone who is more experienced and allow me to tag along. To be fair, I have had to turn down an opportunity in Idaho, mainly due to the fact that it is twice the driving distance, but even that was going to be semi- up in the air. Other than that, I have a duck hunter from the TX coast who may be interested in spending his early teal season with a guy who has no idea what he is doing. I also have some maybes, but I need a definite plan. I would rather just assume that I'm going on my own. I have put up ads or posted threads on three different forums that I frequent, each with thousands of members, and I have not gotten anyone to hardly show an interest. Somehow or another, this will workout, even if I'm alone. If you know of any camp, just let me know. Thanks.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Virtually all of the OTC units have some good elk hunting somewhere.  It's the somewhere that you have to figger out.  You have the right attitude going in, enjoy the country and the experience.  

Study maps and figure out how you can get into the less accessible areas.  The majority of bow hunters and ml hunters never venture more than a mile from an atv trail or road.

Look at the GMU interactive maps on the CO web site.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
There are some remote areas in unit 81 around Platoro Reservoir. San Juan Wilderness area keeps the atv's out (usually).
Relatively speaking it would be closer to Oklahoma for you. It's not a high demand trophy unit but it's got elk and it's rugged country.

One thing that is not mentioned is you can look at maps and find areas to get away from road hunters and atv's but you might not get away from the guys packing in with horses. Lots of horse trailers especially when muzzleloader season approaches. A local hunter told me he focuses on the areas with horse trailers because they go so much farther into the back country that the elk will sometimes move back down the trail giving him a chance with a 2-3 mile hike.

Once you find a likely area, don't fall in love with it. If there is little activity or too many folks, be ready to move. I think not having a Plan B has doomed some elk hunts.

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
You have gotten some good advice; check the Colorado Wildlife and Parks website and especially try to identify areas away from roads (all roads, including ATV trails), and have one or more back up spots in mind.  

I assume that you have a lot of white-tail hunting experience in Oklahoma. If so, forget some things that you may have learned.  Elk are less habitual, and they cover a lot more ground, so:
1) avoid trail sitting or setting up any kind of blind;
2) don't sit on any water hole/wallow unless it is red hot, meaning that there is fresh mud running down the trunk of nearby trees from a visit this morning.  Even then, expect to be disappointed.

Yes, I know that people kill elk from tree stands at wallows, etc. but this is generally not a good strategy except in very special cases.

Think turkey hunting instead (but at a larger scale).  Walk ridges, look, and listen.  Be mobile. An elk call (bugle or cow call) is a good locator.  Don't slow down to still hunt unless you find very red-hot sign (e.g., green droppings with flies on them, very fresh tracks with an elk still standing in them).  Hunt your area for two or three days.  If your are finding nothing but older sign (e.g., dry summer droppings that may be several days or weeks old) then move to a new spot.  Chances are that the elk in this spot have already move somewhere else.  

Elk shift their areas of use during the archery season in September, even if they are not pressured by hunters.  What typically happens is that after a hard frost, which occurs earlier at higher altitudes, and in open areas (such as alpine habitat), the elk will shift to more forested sites where the vegetation is still green and succulent.  You will see sign in alpine areas, a few days old, but you may see no elk.  

Be MOBILE, and if you're seeing no elk, then  move.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Lots of good advice on here for you, take the last 2 too heart, they are very very good!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Sent you an email/PM.  Let us know how things turn out for you, and good luck.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Dble Post    :rolleyes:
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I really appreciate it. Our Spring Break is coming up and the first few days has me taking some of my students down to TX for some hog hunting action, and hopefully for my first kill with the trad. bow.

As for the elk hunting locations and units, thanks to all who have chimed in. I have gotten some good responses. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, as I am mainly a spot and stalk kind of hunter for deer or anything else for that matter. I just want a positive experience, which for me this first season is to see elk and maybe be able to stalk one, either sex. This will be a huge accomplishment for me. Again, thanks to all, and keep the advice coming. I'm in need of gear suggestions, what to take, what to leave out. How to handle water consumption and location of water sources for me. Thanks.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
go to the Colo DOW web site they clearly post the units.  Also on the site is an interactive map.  That will help you with ELK concentration and migration patterns.  Good luck.  Elk and elk country is magic and  big, come prepared to have a life changing experience and to get elk OUT.  Aim small.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
I personally believe unless you have somebody with you that has packed back in and bivy hunted before, you should just concentrate your first year on having a regular well stocked camping sight that you hike back out to every day, in other words you are back at your truck every night. Pack all the water you can every day within reason, I have a 70oz camelbak and it's generally full when I leave camp and there is some sort of electrolyte in it. The emergenCee electrolyte mix is my favorite due to cost and ease of use. It's not the vitamin emergencee one. Learn to cow call in all manners and especially be able to due it almost down to a whisper for when the elk is close so it thinks the cows have moved off and it needs to keep coming in. If you can't use a diaphragm call in my oppinion it's hard to hunt by yourself. The Carlton's Calls "Squeeze Me" call is the best mechanical call because you can stick it in your shirt pocket and operate it with one finger, where the "hoochie Mama" has to be held in the hand and takes 3 fingers to operate, you will hear more about the "Hoochie Mama" call, but that only because of the catchy name in my oppinion. I have 5 seasons under my belt, have shot 2 cows and had a number of bulls in range, but didn't have a vitals visible, well then I did miss one last season and none of them were more than 2 miles from the truck. Now if you pack way the hell back in, well then the animals might not be as call shy but then again you have no idea how massive a packing and butchering job an elk is till you get one down and even a mile is a long way to pack that much meat. If you have a good set of rain gear and a way to watch the weather then I feel the normal clothes you wear to hunt in OK will do ok. I don't have all the fancy stuff but I do have a good set of rain gear for when it gets dicey and I layer up under it. If your going to be by yourself, I would suggest buying one of the SPOT personal sattelite messaging devices. Have a lighter, tinder, good quality space blanket, some rope, emergency food etc in your backpack for emergencies. I've honestly had my best luck at the first of the season for the most part and then the very last week. The muzzleloading season really screws it up for us guys that don't hike way in. Now if your already a savy experienced backpacker then you can ignore most of my post, but since your asking how to manage and aquire water, I'm guessing your not. You willlllll have the time of your life and be totally addicted if you see an elk up close. I took my finacee hunting last year and we called in 2 good bulls the last weekend of the season and she is so siked about going again it's not even funny, before that she was getting kind of discouraged, but seeing those 2 bulls in range totally set the hook:) We are skipping a honeymoon and taking 2 weeks to hunt this season instead of one:) Here is a link to the mechanical call I like
 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlton-Calls-Elk-Estrus-Squeeze-Me-Cow-Call/17060662

And for diaphragm calls I like the Primos Top Pin, it's a green with red latex call, couldn't find a link to it.
One other honest oppionion of mine, buy a cow tag and spend the extra coin an either sex tag would cost and buy some extra gear for the trip. Now of course if you do that, you will see a monster stupid bull that you could drill with your eyes closed and will cuss me for the rest of your life, but you will save some money:)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
I like the gear list, David. Nice and simple. I don't want to be unprepared, but I just don't want to overpack stuff and then be cussing the whole time because I'm lugging it around. I believe that I can rent a Satellite phone, if I am not mistaken. I would like to bivy, but I just don't know how that will begin to work for me. Everything sounds doable when I'm in training or motivated, but at the end of each day or when I'm alone in the middle of nowhere, where I expect to be, it could be a whole different story. I have a slight chance of having a partner tag along, but I just don't know. I would really like the company, and the extra strength, but I doubt it will happen. I'm ready for the experience more than anything else.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
I've been thinking about taking off for Colorado and doing exactly what you're trying to do.  I've backpack-hunted a lot in Alaska, but that was a few years back.  If I were serious and knew I had the money to make the trip to CO, I'd be talking more about this with you.  As it stands, this thread is helping me out a bunch.  I've never hunted elk, but really want to give it a try soon.  

Good luck!

Archie
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©