3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what bow length for my draw?  (Read 223 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
what bow length for my draw?
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
ok guys, i've been shooting a 58" recurve for 4 years. my draw length is close to 28" to the deepest part of the grip, about 29 3/4" AMO. during long shooting sessions i get finger pinch on my bottom finger (split finger shooter)

i'm going to get new limbs made for it in a few months and was wondering what length you think would suit me best. 60" or 62"?
bow is bob lee takedown curve with 19" riser. will be around 55-57#
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Old Vet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what bow length for my draw?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
Overall bow length is always a compromise. A shorter bow is more convenient for most hunting situations, but they are not near as comfortable for extended shooting sessions. From the handle length and draw weight you described at your draw, a set of limbs that make the bow 62" would be the best of all situations. Comfortable to shoot, yet short enough for most hunting situations. My draw length is very similar to yours and although my 56" Cascade and 58" Stealth are great hunters, neither are my first choice for extended sessions shooting foam.
" Aim small....miss small"
Dwyer Dauntless; Black Widow PSA & PA; Mike Sullivan "Shadow" Recurve.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
Sixty-two should be a marked improvement, however the bowyer would likley recommend sixty-four.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
my draw is just a touch over 30" and I'm shooting best I ever have with the 62" I just got, had a 60" before, I doubt you will notice the length differece any place other than on your fingers.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
It's possible that you would be well-served by "loading up" the poundage on your middle finger if you are not already doing so. It makes for a cleaner, more consistent release and better accuracy as well as reducing irritation on the ring finger. Bow/limb design plays hevily into what bow length accomodates longer draw lengths. I would contact the folks at Bob Lee for reccomendations.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
I agree -- 62 inches.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I have a 30" draw length to the front of the shelf which comes out to 28 1/4" AMO to the deepest part of the grip.

I shoot split finger with a tab. One over, two under.

I once owned a 64" Bob Lee Signature TD recurve with a 19" riser. When I shot this bow for one hour straight, I noticed the issue of finger pinch cropping up.

After shooting a 66" Blacktail, with a 19" riser, I can shoot any of my two 66" Blacktails for two hours straight and there is no tell tale sign of the dreaded finger pinch.

Something to think about since Bob Lee doesn't offer his recurves in a 66" length. If your practice shooting sessions aren't as long as mine are, I suggest you get a set of Bob Lee limbs to your bow a 64" length. I think you'll love the extra length. The bow will feel smoother to draw too and your finger will thank you for it.     :D
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
I have about the same draw length and shoot 62" Bob Lees.  Talk with Rob or J.J., they are outstanding people to deal with and know what is best with their bows.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Isn't most of your hunting done at ground level or spot and stalk? If so, bow length is less of an issue, when compared to a lot of us who take to the trees for a good  bit of our hunting.
There is a steal on a pair of Lee take down limbs, in the classifieds right now, but they may be a tad heavy and short for your needs. No expert here, but I think you would really like a pair of 62"ers.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
If the choice is between 60" and 62" than I would go with the 62" at your draw. I have shot a couple of 60" recurves and at my draw 27.5" they are perfect. I would think though that you would need the extra length. I hunt with a 62" hybrid all the time so I can honestly say I don't think you will have any problems manuvering a little bit longer bow in the woods. I know I don't.
James Kerr

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
thanks for the oppinions guys.
i'll talk to rob and JJ when i get closer to ordering.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
For a standard recurve, Clint, you would love a 62" bow!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
what that Kleinig fella said .
Clint I'd always go for longer ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement