3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3d's, are you competitive or just for fun???  (Read 1065 times)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3d's, are you competitive or just for fun???
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
When I compete, I am only competitive against myself. Shooting a personal best is the ultimate, but very hard to do. If I can shoot within about 8% of my practice or comfort zone scores, I feel I have done well.

Offline JackReid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
I belong to a club that has a permanent 3D range of 37-39 targets and shoot with a group every Tuesday year round--sometimes more often.  We rarely keep score and I will shoot from different positions at times.  I shoot for the kill area.  We do keep score at regular club shoots but I will never be in the winner's circle.  When it no longer fun I will quit.  Have fun.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
its ALWAYS fun weather i shoot good or bad that day but i WANT TO shoot my best. i have NEVER had a bad day at a 3d shoot, i have had MANY bad days shooting but not a bad DAY at the shoot.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I am competitive but only against myself. I have fun and enjoy beating others but my score is only for me. I score myself in an effort to keep track of my progress.
The score is indicative, no coulda  shoulda  would have, etc. It is what is is.

Shooting against others also help with putting pressure on yourself and that can only help in a hunting situation.
No shame in finishing first, gift or last if you shot your best.  
So for me.. I do it for fun,training, practice and to see where I can improve,
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
I keep score sometimes like once a year or so on a good day to see how much I have improved. I don't really keep score to win.
James Kerr

Offline jlnft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Hey Ken,

I know what you mean.

I have a great time at 3D's. Whether I shoot well or not. But I have to admit, I keep score of how I'm progressing as the year goes. And to see if I stack up with the other traditional shooters. To be honest, it kinda drives me to get better! Competition is good, as long as, it's in fun and no one gets stupid about it.

For example, last week I shot a 30 target 3D. My biggest challenge was not to shoot any 5's....well, I shot three 5's and ended up shooting a 268, which I'm happy with the score but even with a few 5's I had a GREAT time with everybody(I think we laughed the whole round)....i.e. I'm still looking for that elusive NON-5 3D round!

Joe
God is good all the time, all the time God is good!!

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Hey Ken I would rather stump shoot its more like hunting.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Hippie Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I shoot 3-d for fun and practice all year round. But I normally finish in top 3 so I love to win too.
 Used to shoot professionally with Compounds and I'll be honest most of those guys have weird attitudes toward others and equipment. You know.
 Started just shooting trad and the folks at the shoots are so much cooler and laid back and the environment around Trad shoots is so much more peaceful. Plus when i go out with some compound groups I love to here them say stuff like did you see that he just shot a 10 from Our stake or other personal comments that really make my day. I guess its the simplicity as a whole is why I love traditional.
"Sneak and Destroy"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Fun, try to shoot as good as I can, but don't take it seriously, and don't keep score. The bunch I normally shoot with are too busy picking at each other for a lot of concentration to be taking place. Just give me a good trashy course, and a few friends, and I'm good to go.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I shoot for kill shots as if hunting and don't look for the scoring rings.  If that results in a good score it's just a bonus.

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
The winter league I shoot in has some of the most fun & crazy guys I know.  Hard to believe we get any shooting done with all the laughing going on, they are also some of the best archers I've seen.  We keep score but always have fun, I think if you can shoot good in a setting like that you can shoot good anywhere.  Theres a good kind of pressure put on you whether from yourself or the guy you're shooting with.....  DB
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Our group hasn't kept score in years. We may bet a post-shoot hot dog or soda on a particular shot, but we are primarily socializing and having fun. Many times there is a newbie shooting with us, so we like to be able to move our shot closer or farther than the designated stake. Also, I doubt that we get more than 10 trad guys, counting recurves and longbows, at our local shoots.

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
i am a very serious 3d/ target traditional shooter.  i have a lot of fun doing it though.  i get a thrill out of tuning my bows and improving my skills making my bows and me the very best they can be.  it only makes me a better shot in the woods.  by taking your shots seriously only improves your concentration and ability to "pick a spot" on a live animal.  i also never forget to have a blast doing it.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
I just got back into 3d this winter after a few years away from it. I keep score for the league and to try to beat my score from the week before. I shoot with mostly compound guys so competition with them isn't an issue. My effective shooting range has already improved in just a couple of months and improvement is my main goal. Plus it is just plain fun!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I basically  pay them to put holes in their 3d’s. Just for fun
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
I've always had a tendency to shoot as good, or as bad as the group I'm shooting with. When I'm out there shooting with a group that are excellent archers i tend tend to focus on my own shooting more, and shoot much better. But i have a hard time getting real serious about score cards and entering contests anymore.

I'd much rather be with a group that laughs at a bungled shot, than listening to someone piss and moan or get upset when the blow it.

We all have those days where you can't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo. at least i do. better to laugh, than cry about it.

Then again.... Sometimes it's worth getting serious to try and blow the doors off some cocky self proclaimed master of the bare bow.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Fun will always be "fun"!  Flinging arrows at foam animals......well, it's only a step below actual hunting.  When hunting is no longer fun.....I'll probably just sell my bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
I gauge my progress through the people I shoot with.they have taught me everything an my goal was to be as good as them.now on occation when I feel really good an they feel really bad I can pull off a small win from time to time.they enjoy my progress as well.I have a great bunch of people to shoot with an we have a blast.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
i shoot to win every shoot i enter,be it the local shoot every sunday or the ibo triple crown..it only makes me a better shot in the woods..now when i go stumpin,its all fun..i love to compete
i like biscuits

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm always competitive with myself internally. I try not to let it show while shooting 3d. I laugh, have fun and try not to let a bad shot bother me.

The flip side to that is if I get too relaxed about anything I get sloppy and sometimes bored. I almost need a constant competition with myself to stay sharp and motivated.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©