3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3d's, are you competitive or just for fun???  (Read 1062 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3d's, are you competitive or just for fun???
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Fun.I compete with Mother Nature only.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
In the area where I live their are very few Trad shooters so most of the time I'm the only one there. I prefer to go stump shooting more than 3D as I feel its more my style. Shot stumps long time before 3d came about.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Winning or losing is a function of how your score compares against your peers. Since I can’t influence how my competition shoots (at least not ethically, as far as I’m concerned) I can only control my own score. That’s why I never compete to win, so to speak. When I shoot competitively, my goal is to shoot the best round I possibly can. If I win, I win. If not, I don’t. I’d rather shoot the best round of my life and lose than shoot poorly and win.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Ken,

why didn't you tell me we were competing? I would have tried harder.   :readit:  

I play for fun but keep score for giggles as well.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
I compete with myself. Long ago I set an 80 percent goal for my self. I have done this long enough that I feel I should shoot at least 80 percent of the whatever the possible total score is. As far as winning is concerned, I don't worry about it as long as I feel good about how I am shooting.
I enjoy shooting my bow whether it is a competitive shoot or not. BUT I shoot better when my buddies are shooting with me and pushing me. One of my best friends is an amazing shot with any bow. Several years ago he won the IBO Triple Crown in the longbow class and when I shoot with him I have to step it up a notch or the ribbing gets brutal!! LOL! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
I just like to have a good time with friends and family , some times I'm shootin good and others well not so good.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
It's all about practice for hunting for me and having fun.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
i like to have fun when i go, but i also like healthy competition too. i dont think there is anything wrong with competition especially when its accompanied by good sportsmanship and comradeship.rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
I ALWAYS have a great time on the 3D course. Sometimes I win when I shoot at the local shoots, but trad shooters are few and far between here so there's not very many trad entries at those shoots which makes it easier to get a win.

Now, when I go to the bigger trad events I still pay for the competition round but I really don't expect to win. I pay the extra fees because it adds a little pressure on me to shoot well. And, hey, you never know when you might just have that once-in-a-lifetime day and shoot a phenomenal score and you sure don't want it to be on the one day that you failed to pay to get into the competition round!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
I ran an indoor 3D league and the members shot for fun and did not keep score. We set up the targets at varying distances and then each shooter had the opportunity to call the distance on the shot and the difficulty( kneeling, sitting, turn around, etc.) it made it more fun. We shot for our own perception of where the vitals on the targets were as opposed to using the scoring rings. We shot 15 targets twice and shot 3 arrows per target. It was more for fun and camadierre then keeping score and competiveness.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Went to a 3D just yesterday with Wood Only,LH Keith and my son.Most everyone I ever shoot with at those shoots,including those guys,shoots for fun not score.Some keep score just to look back on later as a reference to see how they did but don't turn their card in looking for a trophy.I try to kill the foam animal and often the 10 ring isn't the best kill shot if the target is quartered away or toward you for example.Always good spending a Sunday morning on a 3D course with some buds.

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I am pretty much just like you. I have a very competitive nature and don't like playing most games unless I think I can compete and maybe even win once in a while. That being said, most of the all trad shoots I go to are more for the social event. I get to see alot of friends just a few times a year at the big all trad shoots.

Bisch

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I like the variety of targets, situations and distances.  scores can help see progress- or not. It is a great way to fraternize and in our case due to distances, camping
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I go to enjoy time with my daughter, meet new people, spend time with old friends and hone my skills for hunting.

Regardless of the scoring system used, if I keep track at all I use a 5/3/0 scoring system. 5 being a lethal hit (NOT based on the rings which are not always accurate, especially if shot is at an angle) 3 for a marginal hit and 0 for a miss or non-lethal hit. When I do keep score I look for a percentage of kills vs non-kills and try to improve my ratio.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
its all about the quality time with my wife and friends for me!! helps keep the muscles in tune also

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
mostly I shoot to simulate hunting.  there fore I usually mark my card CLEAN KILL / WOUNDED / MMMMISSED.  Disregarding the marked kill zone on the targets, that are wrong...... Whats that all about?  And shooting from the peg, which I would not shoot from at a living animal, at those angles and distances.....

Couple of years ago I kept scored and had a great day of good shots.  When I turned in my card  the guy said "Oh, that is a great score, to bad Mike is here."  (Mike, as in Mike Hays/Black Canyon long bows, a very nice man and a great bow and amazing shot) Dang.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
It must be for fun and practice cause I don't ever win anything LOL.
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
I try and shoot as many 3D shoots as possible. I shoot local 3 times a month. I am competitive and always turn in a score card. Its always a blast.. I was the first trad shooter at our club in several years. And now there are 9. I dont finish 1st quite as much anymore but I dont mind , its usually the guys i got started with a sticbow beating me...
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by J.Williams:
Went to a 3D just yesterday with Wood Only,LH Keith and my son.Most everyone I ever shoot with at those shoots,including those guys,shoots for fun not score.Some keep score just to look back on later as a reference to see how they did but don't turn their card in looking for a trophy.I try to kill the foam animal and often the 10 ring isn't the best kill shot if the target is quartered away or toward you for example.Always good spending a Sunday morning on a 3D course with some buds.
:(   you left me out of the mix haha
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2012, 03:15:00 AM »
I dont even carry a card. Sometimes I wont even shoot from the stakes if I dont like the shot. Just practice for hunting for me.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©