3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cutting Aluminum Shafts  (Read 503 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Cutting Aluminum Shafts
« on: July 26, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
I just ordered some aluminum shafts for this season and Easton has changed over to the 300, 340, 400, 500 size designation for GamegetterII shafts and I was told the 340 would substitute for my 2016 shafts.  I didn't have them cut the shafts because I wasn't confident the spine would be the same.  I'd like to bare shaft them to make sure what length works best.  I don't have a high speed cutter.  What's the best way for me to cut my shafts square?  Can I use a plumbing pipe cutter?  (I'm not sure I could get it square)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutting Aluminum Shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Yikes....I think that is a tad stiff for a 2016 comparison.  I think 500's would be closer.

Anyway....I cut all of mine with an 8.00 tubing cutter I bought at the hardware store.  It works great.  Not high speed by any stretch, but in about ten minutes you can have a dozen cut precisely.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Indeed...I think 340's are closer to 2315's...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
I was told that the 500 are 2016. I also use a tubing cutter like George!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Bowspirit is correct.  2315s are 342 to be exact.  A 2016 is 531; whereas, a 2114 is 510.  I think the GGII is one of these, a quick diameter measurement will tell.

I tubing cutter works pretty well but a cheap one can spiral down the shaft if you are not careful.  This is not a pleasant experience.

If you look at an Easton catalog the deflections of all of the aluminums are in there.

Kevin

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Yikes, you're right. It says 2315 components right on the shaft.  That salesman gave me a bum steer.  I was caught off gaurd because everywhere I saw it listed it had the old school sizing.  Let's see how good customer service is.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Well customer service came through and they are sending me a set of 500's and a return label for 340's.  What I have for cutting is this:

Should do ok?

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Same thing I use to cut my alum., no problems.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Harbor Freight has a mini chop saw for under $30.00 that does a great job on all arrow materials.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
500=2016----400=2117----340=2315----300=2317-Hap

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
You have agood cutter. Just go slow qwith lots of turns. If you're not careful you can crush the wall.

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
I use a pipe cutter. I also bought a Lyman arrow deburring tool that works great. It's kinda like a hand held case trimmer. Don't remember what I paid for it but I would sell it for $100.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
I use a pipe cutter similar to your pic.  As I also have a disc sander, I just touch the cut end to the sander and it removes any burrs or deformation caused by pipe cutter.  Before I had the sander, I just deburred them with a knife.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Using a pipe cutter or tubing cutter as shown above and getting good consistent cuts that do not flare the shafts inwards is tricky. you'll find that out trying to put your inserts in...cutting tubing without some kind of a flaring tool, and practice can be exasperating.
i wouldn't recommend it myself. there are many types of metal cut-off wheels you can buy to go on a small grinder, or even adapt to a power drill, or a dremel tool that works MUCH better.Of course the best set up is a cut off saw designed for cutting arrows....After they are cut, I use a very fine chainsaw file to work the inside diameter, or they make metal reams that are design just for that. take a care here bro .......those arrows are spendy....I'd do some practice cutting on some old shafts and get it down first, what ever you do.....Kirk

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Years back, before I had a cut-off arrow saw, I bought a set up with a small tube cutter like pictured, but there were also "mandrils" for different diameter shafts to insert inside when cutting.

I picked the sizes I used most and never had a problem.  Just sat on the floor and did them watchin TV and then chamfered the inside slightly when done..have to anyway w/ cutoff saw too.

Not sure where I got the cutter/mandril set but it is slick!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Not to change the subject, butt is there a big differance between the 2016 and the 2018 when useing eastons new sizeing method would a 500 still work.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
I think the 2018 spines about 68# over 26", the 2016 is about 61#.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I use a tubing cutter also.  After I make the cut, I bring the end of the shaft down on top of my flat hone stone and push the end of the shaft around in a circular motion against the hone stone.  This gives a good flat surface to the end of the shaft.  For deburring, I use the tapered tang end of a file.  Just put the tang end into the arrow shaft til touches the lip of the shaft and gently rotate the file inside the shaft to debur it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©