3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalker Custom Recurves, Let's support a "New Beginner" (recipient pg4)  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalker Custom Recurves, Let's support a "New Beginner" (recipient pg4)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
HUH? What'd you volunteer me for Ryan? LOL, I'm glad to see this thing getting some wheels! The more newbies we can get into our clan the better. I was thinking the other day about my beginnings in archery--started out shooting a recurve when I was about 5, got my first wheel bow when I was 13, hunted for years with one with some trad hunting sprinkled in before I came full cirle and went back to my roots. Now, the average bowhunter who goes and gets set up at a shop with a new bow and all the accessories to go with it, will likely never release an arrow with his/her fingers--let alone get that rush of satisfaction when they've released an arrow instinctively and see it punch the center of the bullseye. Don't get me wrong, any bowhunter is a good bowhunter in my book, but WE need to be introducing more of these bowhunters to roots and history of archery. With my connections in the "tech bow" world through my years of writing, I've been able to reach quite a few guys and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Thanks Ryan for spearheading such a great project! Such a resource is going to do wonders for our sport!  :thumbsup:

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »
S2 cool bra awesome,hey you know what bra Ill send you 40.00 bucks to cover the shipping and maybe other trad gangers might want to pitch in and pay for the materials.If were going to do it lets do it right TRAD GANG STYLE...With everyones (KOKUA)-(Help).We can make this a very unforgettable experience for this speacial person,Aloha Ron
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
S2 on your video in closing you were explaining MANA'O,how giving and sharing what you have being knowledge and wisdom or even financial blessings it could be anything.Mahalo Bra for mentioning that in the INSTINCT DVD.This is exactly what Sanpei was talking about GANG,Aloha Ron
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for all the support and kind words.

Hey South, didn't Steve give you the memo?   :readit:   Oh well, I guess you need to put him back on catwhisker tying duty!  

Aloha Lonala,
Thanks the generous offer.  Let me work out the payment details with South.  I'll be in touch.

Hopefully we'll find a deserving recipient!!!   :pray:

Aloha Gang!
Ryan Sanpei

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
this is a great idea and I would like to make and donate a new armguard and side quiver for the lucky recipient as well
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Thanks Art!

We've got an amazing amount of support, all we need now is a "newcomer".  

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Super idea/gesture Ryan.  Will there be a list posted somewhere of all the new beginners that get referred.  I'm thinking most candidates are just going to have the one vote of the person who refers them unless others know they have been referred.  Did that make sense?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
I'm hoping that the members will post their recommendation right here on this "topic" for all to view. That way anyone will be able to read their story and hopefully select one candidate.  Let me know if I can add further clarification.
Thank You ,
Ryan

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Awesome stuff guys - this will be great journey to follow
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Checked out your blog, you look to have a pretty good handle on it but if you ever need anything technical (webhosting, photoshop, etc.) just give me a holler, I'll be happy to help out  :)

Awesome thing you're doing  :thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyWayne:
Checked out your blog, you look to have a pretty good handle on it but if you ever need anything technical (webhosting, photoshop, internet stuff, etc.) just give me a holler, I'll be happy to help out    :)  

Awesome thing you're doing    :knothead:  That doesn't speak well of my technical skills lol    :biglaugh:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
LOL!
Thanks for the offer Johnny,  I struggle with computers.  Good think I have a smart wife.   :D   If this resource helps bowhunters, then I'll  definitely need some technical support!  
Thank you!
Ryan

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
We haven't received any recommendations yet, so I opened it to any Trad Gang member with a minimum of a 100 posts.

Thank you!
Ryan

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
I'm going to start with the first "newcomer"

#1 MATT WHITE

Here's an email that I received on March 10, 2012

"Dear Ryan
Im a young(17) aspiring traditional bowhunter. I just wanted to thank you for making your blog. Im really looking forward to learning from it. One challenge i face is that i got invovled in traditional bowhunting on my own so i have no friends or relatives to help guide me( i get all my info from books, dvds, and tradgang). I  guess what im trying to get to here is thanks for making a blog that trys to help guide new trad bowhunters
Thanks again Matt White"

It's emails like these which inspire me to continue helping others.  I received this email only a week after creating "Beyond the Ridge"

Matt White is currently a "cadet" member of TradGang who joined in May 2011.

Here's the link to his first "introduction" post.    http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=103906;p=1  

Matt is currently very busy with school, but during his free time we try to work together through emails.  I also promised him to film a few videos on specific questions.  Matt is currently working up to "hunting weight" and he is hopeful that his first "hunting rig" will be a Stalker Recurve.

I have a few other beginners that I'm currently working with, but I felt that Matt deserved some recognition for his "solo" attempt to the world of traditional bowhunting.

Ryan

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan!  :archer:

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Got a pm yesterday from maineac.

#2 WILLIAM MOOK

"Ryan,
I have someone I would like to recommend. His name is William Mook. I started him turkey hunting in 7th grade ( I was his science teacher). Came from a non-hunting family. His dad got into the turkeys and ducks heavy with im through his high school years. He is getting ready to graduate college. I gave him my old compound that he has been shooting some instinctively. I would pay for the materials for the bow as a graduation present (already bought him an old Browning take-down I'll have to sell   ). He hasn't hunted with a bow yet but wants to.

If you have another candidae that works better I would be happy to make them a knife that matches the bow if South can send me some scraps from the bow making (Wily already has a knife from me).

Thanks

Mike"

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 03:06:00 AM »
I've got a young man name of Mike Collins I told you about Ryan. You should have his contact info now and hopefully he will come on and comment. Mike is pretty pumped about trad bows after hearing a few (mostly true) stories  ;)  from me and seeing a couple of videos from Ryan. Mike is a good guy and career Army living right here on Oahu.

Great things all you guys are doing here, thanks.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
Sound good Doug and thank you!  
If Karen was there, then I know the stories were true.    :D    

#3 MIKE COLLINS

Hey Mike you should join us one day at the Kapolei Range.

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Looks like it is going to make someone very happy!
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Here's #4 TREVOR PROBANDT

I'm met Trevor a little over a month ago.  We were discussing things about Stalker Recurves.  I had mentioned to him my idea about "Beyond the Ridge".  Being relatively new to traditional, he agreed to help support by documenting his new endeavor and submitting those stories to my blog for others to read.

Here's his "story"

"I grew up on a ranch outside of San Angelo, TX and growing up in the outdoors. Our home pasture was 1,400 acres and my younger brother and I spent every afternoon riding horses, driving the ranch truck or walking along with our pellet gun, usually with a dog or two in tow. I grew up working cattle, sheep and goats for our family as well as the more monotonous chores of fence building, hay hauling, water trough cleaning and riding/roping on horses. My father enjoys quail hunting, but was never a hunter. This didn’t stop me from having him take me many times growing up and I shot and killed my first buck around 10 years of age. I remember being excited and a little saddened to walk up to my kill, a feeling I always get when I kill another living creature, and one I hope I always have. Now that I think about it, it is that feeling that probably pushed me towards bow hunting. I received my first bow, a Reflex compound package out of Cabelas, on Christmas right after I turned 15. I remember having my uncle show me how to shoot it and tell me about his time hunting caribou in Alaska. I also remember not being able to hit much of anything at first, and bending a lot of aluminum arrows. But from that day forth, I never picked up a rifle beyond varmint hunting at night on the ranch with my brother. I instantly fell in love with the struggle of killing my first deer with my compound. After hauling hay all day, I spent all summer looking over the 200 acres or so of fields we have with my circa 1960 binoculars of unknown origin, and watching the bachelor groups of deer coming out in the evenings.  I had to try and guess where these guys were going to come out and find a spot on the creek that they were crossing. I didn’t want to sit on the feeders like everyone else did, I desperately wanted to be “like Chuck” after reading “Super Slam” by Chuck Adams. I even tried to wear the little hat, but October in Texas is a little warm for that. The third hunt I was able to get within 4 yards of a little six point that walked right by me and into drink, and that was the point that I lost my heart to bow hunting. I finally killed a doe that year, and was hooked from then on. I read everything I could on bows and arrows, and how to best shoot them. I spent several years hunting elk in the Gila, chasing deer back home and hogs in east Texas when I lived there for four years. I tried to get all of my friends into archery and even gave a couple of my older bows to friends, just so I could have more hunting buddies to go with me. However, it was during a DIY wilderness hunt in 2010 with my buddy, that I realized I wanted to simplify things. I had actually gotten tired of all the releases, sights, drop away rests, closed cell or self inflating pads, bivy bag or single man tent, etc. I had fallen for the trap. I was a marketing team’s perfect customer!!! I spent more time talking, testing and dreaming about gear than I did hunting. So, this past summer I decided to sell my beloved Mathews and get into traditional archery. I found the traditional forum on the Texas Bowhunter website that I was a member of, and they sent me on my path. I then found out that my father in law had a Ben Pearson Cougar that he would lend to me, that hadn’t been shot since 1980 something. With that I went to find a group to shoot with, and luckily San Angelo has a great group of guys who shoot trad, and one of them invited me to shoot at daylight with them. What I didn’t know is that they would be so gracious with info and smart aleck remarks. But they made me feel right at home and I got to learn quite a lot. That is when I learned of Stalker Recurves from my years of following South Cox on Eastman’s and watching over and over  the Nevada mule deer hunt he shared with Cameron Hanes. I was playing on his website when I came across the story of Bart Schleyer and I was truly blown away. This is what I was yearning for, a gentleman who did it the “right way” as we say in my family. It wasn’t about the gear or the sponsors, it was about a man who understood nature and was also an athlete and used his strength to help others and succeed in the woods. When I read of Bart and Paul Schafer’s friendship I naturally looked up Mr. Schafer’s bio and was yet again blown away by his skills as a hunter and athlete. It was like I was reading about who I wanted to become in the woods. I decided to simplify my life, not just in hunting, but in many other aspects as well. I even started training with weights using 1970s techniques, turned the TV off and the internet off as well when I’m with my family, and have begun to get more things done because of this. It might sound strange, but reading these stories and learning more about traditional archery has helped to make me a better husband and father. It has also allowed me to get back in touch with my play side of things, I now spent hours on end running around shooting prickly pear, dirt clods, etc and literally laughing out loud at myself. I haven’t had this much fun in years, and it also allows me to chase my boys around on the playground in front of all the other dad’s playing on their phones because I’ve gotten back in touch with the “fun side” of me. Three months ago I set the goal to save enough to buy myself a Schleyer model recurve from South, and though it is tough with two very young boys, I’ve learned from traditional archery that “the pleasure is in the process” and I hope to be carrying one with me this fall for mule deer in Arizona. Either way, I will make sure that I conduct myself in “the right way” as those who came before have done."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©