3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cock feather in?  (Read 412 times)

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Cock feather in?
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
How Many of you guys shoot with the cock feather in rather than out? and Why do you shoot it that way?

I have shot cock feather in for about a year now on many different bows and using all kinds of arrows and I have noticed That I always seem to get better arrow flight with the cock feather in.

I am wondering if anyone else is in the same boat of if the better flight is just in my head....LOL

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cock feather in?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I noticed on my recurve with a wide shelf I got better flight with cock feather in.  I haven't noticed any degredation on the other bows, so  I shoot them all that way now.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Old Vet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I have shot with the cock feather at just short of 12 o'clock for quite a few years. This puts the inner hen feather in the channel between the shelf cushion and the pressure plate. Basically, both hen feathers are flat with the shelf. With the correct nock height I have noticed better arrow flight and less feather wear this way. I use this index for both recurves and longbows with good results.
" Aim small....miss small"
Dwyer Dauntless; Black Widow PSA & PA; Mike Sullivan "Shadow" Recurve.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
I do just about what Old Vet does, cock feather between 10:30 and 11:00.  It just seems to shoot better and is quieter that way.

On a well tuned bow, I'm not sure it REALLY matters where the cock feather is.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I too have been shooting with the cock feather up but it is because I have a fat hand. For some reason if I shoot cock feather out the quill of the feather somehow contacts the backside of my hand at the base of my thumb and cuts the heck out of me.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
My best flight comes from the cock feather about 1 o'clock , leaves one feather contact verses two , it is quiter and more forgiving .

Scott
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Either way.  If I'm shooting 3 fletch, I just load and go.  Same as shootin 4.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
I first started shooting cock feather in after I started getting wear on the lower hen feather on a recurve I shot off the shelf, it was rubbing the velcro rest material. Now its just habit, I shoot all my recurves and longbow cock feather in that I shoot off the shelf.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by moththerlode:
My best flight comes from the cock feather about 1 o'clock , leaves one feather contact verses two , it is quiter and more forgiving .

Scott
Maybe a stupid question, but doesn't this just put another feather in the traditional "out" position? I'm visualizing it in my head and what I'm seeing just substitutes another feather in the usual place of the cock feather.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
I shoot cock-feather in because when I don't, my 4 o'clock hen quill nicks the shelf of my bow (as it flexes around the riser) and it affects the flight.  It also started leaving marks on my new bow!  I get great flight shooting cock-feather in.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
I've been shooting cock feather in with good results for several years, after shooting the more traditional way for 35 years. TradGangs own "Ric O'Shay" encouraged me to try it. Thank you bud. Arrows seem to stabilize guicker, which allows for a cleaner, quieter flite and perhaps an increase in speed. Can I prove it, "No". Just my opinion, but I'm the one I've got to convince. Give it a try, you just might like it.

Offline PaPa Ron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
I think I'll give it a try.
Sarrels BlueRidge SR 60" 52#@28
Tolke TD Recurve 56" 45#@
Dryad 17" Epic riser, multiple limbs

Jesus is My Savior!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
In the Masters of the Barebow series, they mention the same thing . I tried it with my longbows, but have not with my recurve yet. I think I will give it a try .
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

If your a RH shooter, using RW feathers...turn the cock feather in. Notice the odd hen feather is "UP" and this forms an upside down "Y".

Now..take an arrow with LW feathers and nock it normally, cock feather out. Notice the odd hen is in the "up" position.

Back in the late 60's, most arrows were fletched with RW feathers. After reading Jack Howards catalog and turning the cock feather in as Jack suggested, I called him. Had a lengthy conversation with him. Been shooting cock feather in all these years with RW and don't care when I use LW.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Works for me.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
If you try four fletch you will also see a great improvement.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
I don't believe it really matters with a correctly spined and tuned arrow. However, I shoot almost exclusively cock-feather in. Most of my favorite bows have a very small, narrow shelf - longbows and recurves both, and I get almost zero contact or wear this way.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Scott , not quite .. It is simply turning the knocks to get the best clearance fletch wise.. The bottom hen fletch is just outside of the shelf and the cock feather also close to contact bet not Quite .. Bare in mind that visual sitting on the string and reality where contact is concerned can be different , but it works with my set up

Scott
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
My right wing fletched arrows always flew great from my right handed bows. When I got a new multi fletcher it came with left wing clamps. I started getting a slight twitch in the flight right out of the bow. I really didn't want to buy all new clamps and just put up with it.

I heard about cock feather in a few years ago and tried it. Perfect flight!

I really don't worry about how I nock when just shooting for fun. When hunting with broadheads I always nock with cock feather in.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
I do just about what Old Vet does, cock feather between 10:30 and 11:00.  It just seems to shoot better and is quieter that way.

On a well tuned bow, I'm not sure it REALLY matters where the cock feather is.
i started after watchin rick welchs accuracy factory
better arrow flight and allows me to touch the cock feather with my nose

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©