3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommended Draw Weight for Me  (Read 297 times)

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
Recommended Draw Weight for Me
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I made a post about how I want to get into traditional archery. My plan was/is to play around with my 45# black bear recurve this summer while I decide which bow I want, and save my pennies to get it.

At the time, I wasn't sure if I wanted a recurve or a longbow, but now I'm leaning heavily toward a longbow. But anyway, my question is this: how do I decide on how much weight I should shoot? I'm an ex-compound guy so I don't have a lot to go off of. I can shoot the 45# recurve I have with no problems whatsoever and I'm definitely not in shooting shape. I know most people recommend a low draw weight, especially starting out, but I don't want to pay a lot of money for a bow and then a few months later wish I had more poundage.

I'm thinking of starting with a bow in the low to mid 50's. I think I can shoot that with no problem, especially if I keep shooting my recurve more and more. And, it should be enough poundage to be reasonably fast and strong for deer and hogs.

Basically, I'm just thinking out loud and looking for any input you guys might have.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommended Draw Weight for Me
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
I know you are hoping for an answer, but the only person who can make that decision is you.  Now with that said, I like how GFred suggest as determining draw weight.  That is to take a bow and bend completely over at the waist and draw.  If you can do that comfortable, then that is a good draw weight.  Go to local trad shoots and ask folks if you can draw their bows and try this test.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I've shot both Scott,and most people say to start with five or ten pounds under what you shot with a compound. I'm sure you've heard if you over bow to begin with you will pick up bad form habits.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I keep my bows between 40&45#
>>>------John------>

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Richard:
I know you are hoping for an answer, but the only person who can make that decision is you.  Now with that said, I like how GFred suggest as determining draw weight.  That is to take a bow and bend completely over at the waist and draw.  If you can do that comfortable, then that is a good draw weight.  Go to local trad shoots and ask folks if you can draw their bows and try this test.
Haha, yeah I guess I don't really know what I was expecting. I'll give your test a try though.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
I have always used Byron Ferguson's method of detemining how much weight to shoot. He recommends that if you can hold the bow at full draw for 10 seconds and still make an accurate shot then to shoot that weight. That said I can shoot more weight than what I am right now. I can actually comfortably shoot a 60-65# bow. I am just way more accurate with a 55# bow. I believe you should always shoot the poundage bow you are most accurate with. There has been a lot of game killed with 50-55# bows.
James Kerr

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
I say 49-52 lbs at whatever you draw is, don't go over 52 until you learn how to shoot a stick bow. With a trad bow, 5 pounds will make a big difference in how shootable a bow will be for you.

That is my 2 cents....Good Luck!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Keep in mind, that the test I mentioned above would be at your CURRENT physical level. If you want to shoot higher poundage, then you would want something that is heavier.  Like mentioned also, start with a VERY COMFORTABLE weight so you can build good form and then go up from there.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I agree with James and I think the 10 second rule is a good place to start. I wouldn't go higher and I would ensure I had my form down perfect before I started to increase my bow weight above that.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
I've shot both Scott,and most people say to start with five or ten pounds under what you shot with a compound. I'm sure you've heard if you over bow to begin with you will pick up bad form habits.
Thanks. That at least gives me a reference. I usually shot in the low to mid 60's with my compounds and I could have easily shot more. That makes me feel like my thoughts of a low to mid 50's longbow are at least reasonable.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
PM sent

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
I'm just switching from compounds myself. I was shooting a 75# compound. I am currently shooting a recurve at 48# and have a 55# longbow on order. I am hoping to be able to shoot the longbow before it is finished. Right now I can hold the recurve fairly easily, but I get tired very quickly. I also spend 5-7 days a week in the gym. I have an uncle that only shoots traditional. He can easily pull 100# bows, but hunts in the 50-60# range. He says thats all you need. I believe him, because he is very successful. Hope this helps with your decision making.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
i am a strong believer in being able to draw and control a lot more weight than I hunt with. I work out with two 64 pound at 26" longbows that I pull at the same time multiple times left hand and right hand and at various angles. Don't try this with anything other than flat sided Hill style longbow grips. The problem with Byron's method is that some of us can do that with a 90 pound bow, over time those super heavy bows will eat you up. I would say if you can handle 45 right now and want to go up, Make your self an exerciser with tarp straps that can duplicate a heavy draw. Then after a few months of working out, try a 55 and see how it feels, before you buy..

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
You will certainly get a lot of opinions here on the draw weight, but let me throw out a couple of other things for you to consider.

First, your 45# Black Bear recurve with the right arrow/broadhead combination will kill a deer or hog.  Using a skinny carbon arrow(like Easton Axis) front loaded with heavy insert and a 2 blade Tuffhead or Grizzly style broadhead (250-300grains up front), tuned to your bow, will give you plenty to hunt with.  Get comfortable with that, hunt with it, then when you've 'saved your pennies' and perhaps tried some others bows at a shoot or show, you'll have a better appreciation for what you want.

Second, don't be afraid to buy a bow off the classifieds here. You can often get a great bow for 65-70% of new price for currently made bows. Also, don't sell the old Bear, Browning or Wing bows short either. There are some great shooters in those brands and you can get them for $100-300 and have a very good hunting weapon.

You're better off to continue to get really comfortable at shooting your current weight as long as you can. It'll help prevent bad habits from creeping in as you learn.  I still pull out a light weight bow (30#) to practice with from time to time.  

Being patient will help save you money (getting a bow before you find one you really like) and save you from unlearning form errors that may come about in rushing to a new bow that you're trying to anticipate a "final weight" that you'll work into.

Good luck and welcome to traditional archery.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Pavan - right on!  Work with a heavier bow - hunt with one that is lighter.  You will enjoy big time control and confidence when hunting.  If you can get a third bow, get one lighter than your hunting bow to easily work on your shooting form.  The bottom line is you have to shoot your bow a lot.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Hearing other peoples' opinions is helpful.

I'm going to keep shooting my 45# recurve until I can get the bow I want, and I like the exercise idea. Although I've been slacking for almost a year, I used to be a regular gym-goer. And I do have an old bowflex that I think I can use to simulate a bow draw.

I also agree about hunting with lighter weight than you can pull. That's the reason I always shot my compounds in the mid 60's. I could shoot that all day on the target or 3D range, and I never had to worry about drawing my bow while I was frozen stiff and wearing 3 layers of clothes.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I agree with what everyone is saying. I'll just put my 2 cents in also..... For me there is a HUGE difference in what you can shoot and what you can hunt with.  I have an 80@28 hill that I draw to 30". I can shoot that bow in my yard doing all the "test" like holding 10 and get off an accurate shot. I can sit in a chair with my feet off the ground and shoot and I can bend over all the way and still shoot. With all that being said I hunt with 55-65. I have the most confidence in being able to get a accurate shot during hunting conditions with that weight.  For me it's all about confidence.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
I suggest you buy a really beautiful, high-dollar custom bow, about 45-48 pounds, 60 inch limbs, 28 inch draw.  THEN outgrow it REALLY FAST and donate it to some OTHER aspiring newbie (uh, one guy comes to mind . . fella' goes by "kingsnake").  

Of course, that's just my opinion.  :biglaugh:

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
eminart:  If your 45# bow feels comfortable now, you should have no problem going up another five pounds or so.  Try to attend a few trad shoots where you can shoot other bows.  There are so many good bows available nowdays, it's hard to choose.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
If you work diligently, you should not have any trouble developing the ability to comfortably shoot in the 50's (or even the 60's if you desire). The main thing is to do so carefully so that no injuries happen.  However, as your skill developes, you may find that you will no longer feel the need to shoot a heavy bow. It is skill not raw draw weight that is important, and  many shooters take a lot of game with lighter bows that they weild skillfully.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©