3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Box Call  (Read 485 times)

Offline gblrklr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Box Call
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
After taking a look at the Cabela's site, there aren't any box calls on there that I would spend money on without running them first.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Living_waters:

Originally posted by Hoyt:

Originally posted by Gen273:
A Lynch fool proof is hard to beat; but they a lot of good ones, just choose the one you can run the best.
X 2. Bought a Lynch Fool Proof back in 1965 and it's still my favorite box call. [/b]
I have a lynch 101 that was given to me as a kid, made in 65 like me and has been on every turkey hunt I have been on. I have made a thousand calls this is still my favorite. [/b]
Mine is a 101 also. I bought it at a hardware store...only place in Savannah, Ga. that I could find turkey calls back then. It came with a 45rpm record that gave instructions on how to use. I also bought a Lynch Jet Slate..best sounding slate I've ever had.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
Lynch is the best production call I have used.
Yes sir   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 02:39:00 AM »
I have a Quaker boy clover leaf that I love plus have had great success with. You position the lid to the tone you want. 10 different calls in one. Many great calls out there. Ask the local Toms which they like & go get them!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
I've built a few, they'll work.  Its more about rythem than sound.

But I have to say the original primos boxcutter is one sweet box!    Mines one sided and they just tear that thing up!!!  

I've got some wood ripped and ready to be assembled into a box for the last couple of years.....really have no point with the boxcutter in my bag and some slates.  Its againg to perfection  ;) .

The lynch was my first box, I just gave it to the landowner I hunt on last spring and his son killed a nice tom with it.  It works well but just about everyone has one.  He had no clue how to call...got a 10mn demo before I ran from a tornadao and an 8 hour drive or I would have missed my plane ride, 2 days out and wamo!  hard to beat them.

A high pitched raspy box is deadly!!!   The quakerboy boat tails is one I'm considering.  

The heart breaker sounds good......

my vest is a walking turkey call section.  I have 3 slates I like also.  All three primos and than one I build.   Old betsy is all slate....I have a alumislate and a 2000 crystal I think its called.   they both work very very good!  The new power crystal is a little different.   the big thing with slates if you can only have one is have extra pegs.  And dont cheap out on them!!!!  Basically every different peg you have is a new call with one pot.   My home made job is a zebra wood pot.  Sounds like crap right next to you.  walk 50 yards away and I was shocked when I heard someone else run it.  Its now become a regular pot in my arsenal and one I really like finishing with.

Regardless what you have, its about rythmn.  And when you hit a note they like, dont change!

If you can get your hands on them and run'm you'll know a good box when you hear it.  The real hen series is also a good box.

Look up midwest turkey supply...there's LOADS of box's out there and they all kill birds!

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Albert Paul .  Paul's calls.. It's sweet music. Can find him on Internet. May take u a minute to get it but it's worth it. Cabelas won't have it. Primos is a quicker fix if u need one today. Good luck!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
X2 what AkDan said. Rhythm and pitch is everything. Not all box calls from even the same company sound the same. Try before you buy, if possible. You will know when you find a good one, but they will all work when a gobbler is hot and looking for love. It's when they are clammed up, that a sweet sounding box will jerk a gobble out of them and make the difference in my humble opinion/experience.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
get a custom call, the sound difference is amazing, I personally like Ed Terefenko`s calls, Mike
Big Mike

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
My favorite box call was made by the late Doug Camp. I have two deferent types. I have his screaming hen box and his regular box. My go to call is the regualar bax. I never go hunting without it. I wish I could find one of his push button box calls for sale somewhere because that little jewel is amazing. I had one for years but one day I was in a hurry one day and sit down on it. Didn't work to well after that.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Coach I have a Loman pocket box I did that too.  Found a new one I plan on using for a template.   Back in the days before there were vests I used a itty bitty fanny pack and a cheap butt pad so thin it was almost pointless carrying. Lol

U know u can tune a box.  Sometimes a little tweaking of the paddle screw makes a world of difference.    It changes the contact are of the paddle and rails based on how many turns.  Make a mental note so u can start over.   It can take that cheap box and make it turkey magic!  It's not a cure all for poor workmen ship or bad wood.  

And don't overlook a full boat paddle.  They can really put sound out there and generally have that high pitched raspy sound I like.   They are hard finishers so keep that in your mind.   Soft talk is where the magic happens

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
I have found that with the screaming hen( which is a boat paddle) gets more gobbles than the other box. I usually have better luck calling in birds with the regular box. My box that I brke was beyond repair.

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Another vote for the Lynch Fool Proof, I picked one up this morning and it really does sound great. Hope to put a notch on it this spring.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline soaring eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
I like the lynch world champion

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Lynch 101 here.  I'm still amazed at the number of folks who've never heard of these.
Otto

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Lots of 'em will work fine.  I usually use a diaphragm & slate, but I have a Lynch's Fool Proof 101 with 12 notches in it that I still use occasionally.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Benson Double-Sided Pro made with cedar. Use to be available in a few sport shops in Michigan. High pitch that reaches out and gets the most responses for me. Good luck, lots of great calls out there!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Check out paulscalls.com
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter