3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting knives  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting knives
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Here are two of mine. The big Bowie is an Emerson CQC 13 and the more elegant, refined one is the Holy Grail for me, an Emerson Endeavor in brown G-10 scales #25. I always carry the CQC 13 with me and have used it on everything from squirrels to hogs. The Endeavor is new but I have a feeling its gonna see a lot of work in the coming hunting seasons.   They are both CPM 154 and hone to a razors edge with ease.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
At times it's a quandary trying to decide which ones to carry...   :dunno:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Never leave home without a knife. Benchmade Mchenry & Williams everyday all day, and varity of belt knives when not at work. (city frowns on belt knives on its employees).  Man Ron I need to raid your knife drawer. Bows and knives all a man needs.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Never get tired of the knife threads.
I mostly wear overalls so have a Boker Walker design folder in my pocket and a new Fred Perrin necker(from Boker) whether in the yard or out stumping. I've been divesting myself of some knives, but still have too many.
Which is probably 2, right? You can only use one at a time so...  
Okay, enough of that foolishness!
Those two I mentioned are the main ones for now, but another such thread introduced me to the Randall 25-5. I'm saving for one and hope to have it on the belt this hunting season. No overalls on the hunt, cargo pants, so always a belt(and suspenders, of course).
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Nice Becker knives. I used to carry a bk 11 daily but I now carry a fallkniven wm1 in its place.

I'll post some pics also when I'm off work.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
I rarely carry a knife except when hunting. In fact, I can hardly stand even carrying a wallet or anything else in my pockets. I've been inconvenienced many times by this failure.

I usually have two knives in my fanny or daypack; a fixed blade and a folder.

Like many here, I've field dressed a couple of deer with fixed blade broadheads because I didn't have a knife on me.

I've lost one knife, and "Old-Timer" pocket model by forgetting it was in my carry-on bag. I didn't have time to mail it home. I've also lost a 2-3 sets of allen wrenches the same way.

I like to look at knifes. I am usually successful in reminding myself that I have too many already. Unfortunately, while this works most of the time with knives, I'm not so good at listenting to self about recurve bows.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
I too always have a knife on me.  I have swiss army knife on my key ring.
Hiking or hunting I carry a spiderco folding knife in my pocket and a fixed blade knife in my pack.  The fixed blade is every small and very sharp.  Almost looks like kitchen paring knife.  I can field dress a deer in about 5 minutes with it and take an elk down to game bags in about an hour....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I usually carry a simple folding knife when in the field but not hunting. My favorite is a Case Sodbuster, about as simple as it gets. Another common choice is CRKT folder model M16-03Z. When hunting I  use Browning folder model  4018F or a Gerber C375 belt knife. I try never to go to the woods without a kinife or my Glock.

I have many other nice knives, but these are the go to choices.
Sam

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I cant imagine going into the woods ( or anywhere else) without a knife. I always carry at least one on me. My usual is a Case Copperlock but I switch them around as I have a lot of knives. When I get dressed up I have a AG Russell woodswalker that is scary sharp in the inside pocket of my suit coat.I use it alot in restaurants when they give me a dull serated steak knife.  I have a bunch of hunting knives but the one I always wind up carriyng is a S&W drop point made in the mid 70's before. this was before everything went to China. Its funtional, sharp and almost indestructable. to top it all off its also a nice looking knife.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
My large case trapper with CV balde goes with me everywhere and is all i need to skin anything in texas
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Roninrus1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by carbonflyr:
not to sound crude but i have a knife on me any time i have clothes on!!
a made in america kershaw folder.or a pat crawford necker
I thought everybody did.
Feel naked w/o one.
It's a tool and I have carried one, not the same one, for over 60 years.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Funny story I have never carried a pocket knife my entire life. I've been making fixed blade knifes for years. A friend I hunt his properity in Ohio is a HUGE Case knife collector. He and I went to visit the Case knife factory on a tour. I was impressed to say the least. Figured I should buy a pocket knife and knew it had to be a made in America Case knife. Long story short I feel naked now without a Case knife in my pocket  and don't know how in the heck I lived my life without some kinda knife in my pocket.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Traditional archers hunt naked so there's just no real good place to carry one.     :biglaugh:
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
I always carry a knife or 3 when I'm out hunting. I just got a couple knives from Nathan at Kestrel Knives that will always be in my pack next year. Otherwise I have a SOG seal pup, benchmade griptillian, or a couple handmade in Hungary knives on me also.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Michael Bankston-75diag- just made this skinner for Adam

Mikes craftsmanship is second to none.
That bit of green by the hilt is camera noise-the knife is perfect.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
Carry a folding lock-blade knife with a pocket clip everyday. The best I've found to date, and the one that goes into the woods with me, is made by Blade Tech. Called the Magnum Hunter. Worth checking out.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
I always carry a Swiss Army knife called the Waiter with bottle opener, cork screw, tweezer, and tooth pick...urban necessities!  When hunting there is a tippit blade on my side  :)  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Hoss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Never ever leave home with out a knife or 3, always have my trusty leatherman. They are tools that one cannot live without in my book.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ric O'Shay:
Rule #9 -

Never go anywhere without a knife.

- Leroy Jethro Gibbs

:scared:

I carry my Kershaw Leek everywhere. Usually carry a skinning knife or two in my pack while hunting.
God is good, all the time!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©