3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which bino harness?  (Read 561 times)

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which bino harness?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Here's what I use!

(Note: Press the F5 key to refresh the page if the images fails to download.)

Gary Logsdon

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Seen a hunting show with Larry Altizer once and he had a cord on his binos long enough to push around and ride on the strong side of your body and out of the way for stalking game. When on the prowl for elk and such this is how ive done it with my 8x30 swaros. For glassing with the 10x40 Ill use the crooked horn eveytime.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Saw the same show with Altizer (thought his name was Alan?) tried it for a season...lost my binoculars in a swamp.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
I have a Cabelas that looks so much like a crooked horn I have always assumed it is made by crooked horn. In fact I have two of them . I like them a lot ! .... 8^)
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
I like crooked horn as well. I got mine cheap too on a closeout at Walmart late in the year. I think they only cost me $12.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I tried a bunch of them including the Crooked Horn and all gave me problems with comfort or pack straps or quiver straps. The Badlands with the pouch was comfortable, but is bulky. I just got one of the S4gear and so far I like it better than all the rest. As in any other thing we wear, personal fit will probably determine what works for who.

Best of luck and I hope it doesn't take as many dollars for you to find one that fits you as it did for me!

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
I've got the Cabelas "Pro" harness.  It's a little heavier duty than the old Crooked Horn it replaced.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
I've used the Crooked Horn for years without a problem. I really never even think about having it on until a discussion like this comes up. No interference with shooting or pack straps.

The only alternative I've considered is the Nimrod system but it's kind of pricey (with the bino cover) to fix something that ain't broke.

http://www.nimrodpacks.com/n9.html
 http://www.nimrodpacks.com/n9t.html

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
NIMROD makes one i put my Swaroviski 10x50 on and they are nice.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Rick Young Ultra Lite Bino harness.

Before I went on a elk hunt last year I bought several different harnesses. The Rick Young is light, compact, can be used around your neck and also on the side. The bino slides up easy to your eyes whether on the side or over your shoulders. It is easy to adjust to you personally. You don't even know you are wearing it. Plus it is inexpensive. I bought one for me and my hunting partner. We used it for a 11 day back country backpack hunt for elk last year and it was great.

http://www.rickyoungoutdoors.com/estore/shopexd.asp?id=51
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
A young beautiful blonde to carry your binoculars. Seems like the best solution to me.  :clapper:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:
Rick Young Ultra Lite Bino harness.

Before I went on a elk hunt last year I bought several different harnesses. The Rick Young is light, compact, can be used around your neck and also on the side. The bino slides up easy to your eyes whether on the side or over your shoulders. It is easy to adjust to you personally. You don't even know you are wearing it. Plus it is inexpensive. I bought one for me and my hunting partner. We used it for a 11 day back country backpack hunt for elk last year and it was great.

http://www.rickyoungoutdoors.com/estore/shopexd.asp?id=51  
Gil, you always have the best taste....I wish you would have posted that as soon as you found that it worked.  That is the one I mentioned on page one.  You should get in touch with Mike, he has all kinds of cool stuff that works like this!

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Trying the S4 Gear this year. So far I like it better than the cabelas harness.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Thanks Gil. I like the simplicity of the Rick Young bino harness.  I've tried a crooked horn and although I liked it, I gave it away.  Now I have another option that is much simpler.

justin
Hill

Offline L. Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
The best thing about the Rick Young harness is when the wind blows it doesn't make your glasses shake like the crooked horn. Spent about 60 days last year with mine and love it. Tried all the rest. This is the best.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Do the thin straps of the Rick Young cut into you with heavy glass?  My 10X50s are about 36 oz.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
Tried most of them mentioned and haven't found one that I like.  Best thing I have found is Barry's idea, an adjustable cord/strap that attaches to your belt in the center of your the back.  I think they (Brothers of the Bow) are now selling a production model that is more refined then my home made one.  Check it out on their site, it is ago simple you will feel stupid for not thinking of it yourself.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Justin if you do get a pair and you don't like them sell them to me. I am going to get a second pair.

Robert I have a pair of Zeiss 10x40 and Bushnell 10X40 H2O. I don't know how much they weigh, but I don't even realize I am carrying them until I need them. I used the Bushnells on the elk hunt since they were more clear and had a wider field of view than my Zeiss.  

Steve they look like the Rick Young pair. I didn't notice your post on the 1st page. I went to his site and checked it out.

I can't recommend these inexpensive, simple, versatile,  comfortable and functional harnesses enough. They are the best in my opinion.

Good luck in your search.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Thanks Gil

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Let all give Gil a Cookie...He finally turn me on to something good,,Oh ,,and them five and dime store Harrisons,,,Hehe....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©