3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Beam Riser Construction?  (Read 697 times)

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
I Beam Riser Construction?
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Are there any structual advantages or purpose for having a riser with an I beam or is it just to add a contrasting accent?  I must admit those 59ers from John M. look pretty darn sharp.

Thanks,

CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Beam Riser Construction?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I have and will build both.some woods are stronger in a riser when used as a ibeam .Other  than that there isnt any advantage.It  gives a different look to the riser that some people like better.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
You may also look at Bigfoot bows.Kirk makes some nice looking ones.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
Yes, Kirk has been putting out some really nice stuff for sure. He is on my shortlist.  ~CB

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Yes, stronger overall and if a crack starts on one side or the other, it will probably stop at the I-beam before any major damage to bow or shooter occurs.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Ah yes!  Now that makes sense...  I've always prescribed to a form follows function thoery. Was struggling with the idea that bowyers such as John and Kirk would incorporate a feature based on cosmetics.  

Remember back in the day some car makers offered the Landau model, which was the vinyl over half the roof of the car...I never understood that.

Thanks Craig!

Keith

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
I build all my bows with a phenolic I beam. I use both wood and phenolic and the I beam is hidden a lot of times depending on the bow but they are there. Its not for looks. I don't have to replace cracked or broken risers or worry about anyone haveing a riser blow up on them. Its worththe extra work in that alone. It also produces a stiffer riser ,. faster bow. less hand shock. ect.

You can see the I beam in this bow only through the grip area. That 1/4 in strip of phenolic runs through the entire riser
God bless you all, Steve

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Im not going to bank on any riser being stronger than another.Knock on wood     :goldtooth:    i havnt had a riser problem in any of my bows for years.The truth is,if they are going to fail they will no matter what or how there made.Example,compound risers of all kinds of so called non- braking metals and construction are still blowing up.I wouldn't ever recommend to one of my customers to go with a ibeam construction because its stronger .I tell them go with what you like the look of.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
mike, Stronger is a fact, not some made up fiction Bro. Its not something I just decided to do and use for a sales pitch. When you turn phenolic up edge ways in a riser it makes that riser much stiffer than the same riser without it. Its a matter of science. I tell my customers it is stronger because its a fact. They are stronger. If for some reason you do not believe that then its just a matter of experience. Not necessary with actionwood risers but it certaily is not going to hurt them.

I can use wood that are highly figured when I build my risers with phenolic I beam and glass and wood crosscuts that I could not use otherwise. I can do that and feel very little if any flex in that riser and have great confidence in it staying together using high performance high poundage limbs.
Without that structure we can literally have a time bomb on our hands.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Wow,didnt want to get personal,didnt think i wrote that at all.I think my experience already speaks for it self. Cant we just get along.I still believe i stated a fact.A riser"can"fail and always will no matter what they are made of.Act of god i guess.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
When you build risers out of all wood, you are at the mercy of the wood and the grain configuration, and it's only as strong as it's weakest point.

Different shaped risers, with different fade angles, and different limb configurations all apply the loads differently. Some riser shapes need more reinforcement than others.

When using laminated products like action wood with the grain running belly to back i see no reason for an I beam other than looks, or added mass weight.

The type of I-beam material used makes a big difference too. The G-10 material i use a lot of has incredible strength. In heavier poundage bows it not only insures the riser is strong enough, but actually improves performance by eliminating riser flex.

One more advantage to the G-10 is the added mass weight it gives the riser. I wish the stuff wasn't so darn expensive.   :rolleyes:  

there's my .02  cents worth there..  Kirk

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Mike , I wasn't being personal and am not offended nor did I intend to offend. Lets just say I heartily disagree with the statement you made about riser strength. Thats all bro. I have looked at your bows and see no need for phenolic I beams in the ones I have seen. However you start doing what I am doing and you will find our real quick about how contrary exotic woods can be and some you would least expect to break will do so. Anyway we all have different experiences and mine have been that to build a basicaly bomb proof riser I use an I beam.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I never could understand why it is called an "I" beam in bows. Flat Bar yes. I have worked with structural shapes for a good few years and If I asked for "I" beams I would expect them to be shaped like an "I" .
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Personally I like the idea that it adds strength but unfortunately I don' t like the look of it if I could have it & not see it that would be good.

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Personally I like the idea that it adds strength but unfortunately I don' t like the look of it if I could have it & not see it that would be good.

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I think it allows you to use woods that would normally be too unstable.  Kind of makes an internal skeleton.
Here is one I just finished out of Walnut...would never trust it without the ¼” I-beam or "Flat bar”.  I have never had one crack or break when they are built like this!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Nice job Jared. Love to see the entire bow .
God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »
of course you are right about I-beams Pete... and if you look at Jared's and Sixby's bows the front and back overlays do make it an official I beam.

i personally don't care to offset mine to hide it.
if someone wants a wood sight window, i prefer to use a wood I-beam and add fiberglass accents rather than offsetting the phenolic.

i suppose i could add a veneer over the G-10 in the sight window do to cover it.

Is this something you would like to explore Lyonel?

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
No thank Kirk, but I did think of using phenolic in the centre section of the riser in the picture I sent you.
Sorry for answering in this thread.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
CB, I have a Longwalker longbow from Chuck Deshler, (TwoTracks). I don't know why he puts it in there and I don't care. I like how the bow shoots, and that is my main concern. I've shot thousands of bows, and it always boils down to that, did the bowyer build a product I want to shoot. I like sixby's exotic woods but those carbon limbs are butt ugly. If I liked how it shot, I'd get some limb covers and cover them up. Some times aesthetics does matter too. I think when you see bowyers use the I beam on a regular basis or not, it is determined on whether they think it is necessary to the market they are building for. It ends up being good for everyone!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©