3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7335 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #300 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Man fellas, we are some lucky sons of guns! I should be out the door right now, but rereading pages 18-20 seems much more important to me today!

I can't wait to see who gets the purple heart tips    :biglaugh:
Thom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Pete,

Not to sound prophetic but your comment about "sisters" and "owning" caught my brain.

Here all this time, I thought the best a man could do with one, let alone "sisters" was to rent or borrow them...we never "own!"   :laughing:  

This has been incredible! Going to really put the pressure on me the next few months to start saving a few more shekels and start chewing on some decisions...  :)  

Amazing to watch these 3 bows emerge from imagination to reality!

Such beauty and then precsion to boot out of wood and glue and glass! Totally freakin amazing!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: March 28, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
just looking some more...

Pete,
The way your riser has that "burly" look at the front of the grip and flying V going up the back right side of the grip is just sweet!

Thom,
 That is one BIG grip man...lol
In that front on pic your upper limb resembles a flame to my eye...and that fang grain...WOW!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: March 28, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Sasquatch fur for rest  :cool:    The people from "Looking for Bigfoot" will be wanting to take a look at this shelf covering  :bigsmyl:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
"Hunting Bigfoot" will mean something completely different for me than it does for that crowd! Speaking of, a few weeks out from some pig chasin! You too right Pete?

I'm really excited to have a bow with a nice sized grip!!! When Kirk and I were talking shooting form and grip preferences we had a lot in common. I figured if he just scaled up what he liked it should be close!
Thom

Offline J.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: March 28, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Those are some nice looking bows and it's cool watching them come to life  :thumbsup:
70" [email protected] Northern Mist Classic
70" 73@32 Northern Mist Whitbeck

Michigan Longbow association

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: March 28, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
2 more masterpieces by Kirk.....you boys are going to be very happy.

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: March 28, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Oh yes Oklahoma bound. Called out of town today but. Talked with Kirk can't wait to Sergio overlays and butt overlays

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: March 28, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Thom, if you use the leather on your grips for non-slip, you could go with stippling. Wouldn't cover up that beautiful wood grain.  :D
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: March 28, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Actually I was thinking about just that today. I was leaning more towards checkering with a design inside of it.

My brain is thinking it might be a good thing to think about for a while first. My pocket book agrees  :)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: March 28, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Thom,

I got me a dull awl and a decent hammer and for a buck-$3.98, I'd fix ya up w/ a stipple dimple finish just lickity split!

I'd like to try that big ole grip my own self!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: March 28, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
these so called Smart Phones  somehow  it turned see into Sergio I made that post from the "Smart Phone"
 Waiting to see what the tips and flush limb bolt mounts will look like, Iam leaving that up to Kirks immagination, iam sure  they will be awsome.
 I have to agree with you John there is some very nice grain in that riser.
 Go for it Thom stippling would look fantastic and not cover anything up.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: March 28, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Just got a very good phone call from Mulino Oregon, I'm VERY excited to shoot this bow when it arrives!!!

Pete, looking forward to seeing the next pics of your bow    :goldtooth:

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: March 28, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer Dave! Hopefully we have a chance to get together sometime and you can check out that grip.

For the checkering I was kinda thinking something more    LIKE THIS  with the bocote being left smooth and as design being worked into the zebra portion... If I only had something as easy as "The Scream" or Ms Sexy Legs" I'd know what to checker in like that elk antler.  :)

So my call from Kirk was really awesome. Going all the way back to October last year, I originally I'd asked for a Yeti at 65# @ 31.5". Kirk and I talked about my form, his bow design, etc and he thought 55# would be the sweet spot. I put 65# out of my mind and accepted that instead of a bow 5# heavier, I was going to get a bow 5# lighter and trust by the nature of it's design it would make that back up.  

Remember when Kirk said my limbs weighed in at 67# when it first went up on the tree? Well after some balancing and tillering, and a little bit of smoothing it looks like I'm still going to be much closer to my original request than what it says on my current order sheet! Calculating for the 60" Sasquatch and materials used 65# was quite possible after all.

I don't know if anyone else will be able to wrap their hands around this bow or pull it back to anchor, but it's turning into exactly the bow I imagined!

Thanks Kirk, our phone call made my day!
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: March 28, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Think I could find someone to checker a missile launcher into the grip???    :biglaugh:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: March 29, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by iohkus:
Thom, if you use the leather on your grips for non-slip, you could go with stippling. Wouldn't cover up that beautiful wood grain.   :D  
I think you guys are going to find that if you have a grip shaped to fit your hand, you don't need to grip it at all... you should be able to shoot with an open hand, and even grease up the grip and still stay right into the groove.   :readit:

We had another launch today but i have no videop for you.  here ya go Pete.... check out these black limbs now..... ugly duckling me arse!    :p

Here some color for you Thom....

I snapped a bunch more photos i posted on the bucket here... have at it guys..

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u301/kirkll/Bows%202012/Triple%20build%20along/?start=all

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
Beautiful Bow!
James Kerr

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: March 29, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Nice! Here is the one of Pete's bow I was looking forward too seeing:

Great size and shape on those tips, and that ebony is a very nice touch! Looks like she's almost done, and she's looking good! Hope you can bring home some bacon with it!

Just to amuse the folks watching, here is what I've been thinking about strings as I've been watching this come together.
- was thinking 8190, but I think I'm going to stay D97 for a while.
- was thinking 10 strands, now with the extra poundage I'm thinking 12 to be safe.
- black/yellow seems like a good combo.
- padding loops with red to matchup with the bloodwood accents.
- I think one red strand per bundle would be a nice splash.
Still don't know about center serving. I was thinking red or yellow #4 but both might be too bright. I'll decide when my first string is on the bow, guessing it will be black/white braided helo.

After my last post I dug to the back of the arrow stash and found a dozen 2317s that were way too stiff for a previous bow. Most of the shafts don't even have inserts in them yet. If dropping tip weight won't get me there on the 2117s I've got a backup plan ready to go!
Thom

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Thom what ever you decide it will look good on your bow. Iam going to go with a 10 strand d97 brown and black .030 halo padded to 14.
  Kirk was saying if all goes well he should have the bows shipped in a couple of days.
  Thanks for the comment on tips, I like the ebony touch also, looking forward to seeing what Kirk has in store for the flush mount limb bolts.
That will really dress up the Ugly Duckling   :D  
or as Kirk would say "ugly duckling me arse"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©