3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7321 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Man that is GREAT!!!

I love those little red/black tips, and the mini zebra overlay. That looks awesome!

I have never seen anything quite like it, has anyone??? Looks like something completely original to me.

Hey John, I've got no idea what my tip overlays will be. When the heavier limbs were a go, I decided I wanted something performance oriented out on the tips. It's up to Kirk at this point, I suspect some sort of phelonic and maybe some sort of accent.

He'll probably post the pictures here so we'll all find out at the same time  :)
Thom

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Thom  Iam waiting to see what Kirk comes up with for the flush bolt mounts on my limbs. I am sure it will be good on both counts.
 Pete
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
Now that is an interesting situation. Basically all black/zebra, and touch of ebony... What does the guy do there? It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with whatever it is!
Thom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Just so Kirk didn't make that red with his wife's lipstick, cause it's gonna rub off on yer hand then, John... and depending where ya put yer hand next...if'n yer married, ya might be in deep doo depending on where the "transfer" lands!  :eek:    :rolleyes:  

Oh...this is going to soo hurt when it comes time to make choices... was shooting for a purely FUNCTIONAL bow... good thing at my age that in a few weeks, I forget most stuff!  "[dntthnk]"
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Yeah Doc, I ordered black glass over bamboo originally... You can see how that turned out for me    :thumbsup:  

A long wait time to think about it ain't gonna do you any favors for the "purely functional" plan, neither is watching this thread too close!

In all seriousness, I think this thread is great not just for showing off a few bows, but also for understanding the options on Kirk's bows and just what goes into building a bow in general. I think there is a good reason there is more than just three of us following it!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Thom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Thom,

Some time back, Kirk posted up pics of his varied riser designs...after he and I initially talked. OMG! I saved them all in a special folder.

Many, many bowyers will work with their customers to give them the best visual and heart throb bow they want.  

What I find talking with Kirk is that he's always testing his beliefs, filming, evaluating and pushing the envelope to find out what REALLY works well and what is pure speculation.

I like that.  My goal is to get a riser that when I pick it up, fits my goofy paw in ONE way...the RIGHT way... and forces me to exert pressures as they're supposed to be.

The bows I've had and "tried" allow so much variance shot-to-shot, I suck!

I so envy these guys who pick up any bow, high, medium, low or broomhandle and shoot it wonderfully. I ain't them!

I mentioned my Dad's influence... being he was a cabinet maker, he taught me to love wood's natural grain beauty! Swirl, figure, etc. make me swoon!

But... form follows function and funds drive choices. I will err in building versatility into my bow and fit, before all the beauty.

I can always swoon over OTHERS' bows like you guys!  :)

It'll be a 'while' before I have to make all the choices... folks interested in all fine work better plunk down cash... once the word gets out about not only the beauty of these puppies, but the enhanced performance and the true "CUSTOM" -fit and finish--thru the ability to make it be what the customer WANTs, not simply an ala carte cosmetic choice "custom" ---the "wait" will GO UP!

Congrats to all 3 of you for some pretty bows.

I want to see more of that "sexy legs". I think if it looks too good, that would distract me in the woods!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
 My goal is to get a riser that when I pick it up, fits my goofy paw in ONE way...the RIGHT way... and forces me to exert pressures as they're supposed to be.  
I've got if figured out Doc... I'm going to wrap portions of your grip with barbed wire...   :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :p

I'm going back out and take a couple overlay pics here before the rocks start flying...   :biglaugh:

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
All right count down has started!!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

quote:

I've got if figured out Doc... I'm going to wrap portions of your grip with barbed wire...     :eek:        :eek:        :eek:        :p  

I'm going back out and take a couple overlay pics here before the rocks start flying...     :saywhat:  )

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #349 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Hopefully we can catch up at a shoot or an event and you can check this bad boy out! I'll also let you know if I head over that way for any reason. Happens from time to time.

Barb wire... good fence, terrible movie, not sure how it works for bow grips    :dunno:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I sure hope, Thom, that the Magician, is kidding... whatever happend to "You can grease this custom grip and it still won't slip", eh?   :rolleyes:    :scared:    :eek:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: March 29, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Here we go guys.... i was going to call these the 3 amigos but i don't think it fits at all...

Right to left is Johns 62" Sas , Thoms 60" Sas, and Pete's 58" Sas

Here's your tips Thom.... Blood wood and red phenolic

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
Those are some STUNNING bows!!
James Kerr

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
All I can say is..........  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Not too shabby for a country boy with a Stihl.
I like and I'm picky.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »
Wow, those are 3 amazing looking bows!!!

I just keep looking at that grip that is big enough, on a bow that is short enough, with a backbone powerful enough... This will get the job done, and it looks like that too boot!!!

I feel like the luckiest guy in the world, but I bet there are two other guys feel the same way!

Those limb tips look great! I do love the way they tie back to the bloodwood radius. Have you ever had to carve out such an extreme angle for the string angle at draw?

Wow I can't stop looking at the bunch of them, that is quite the herd!!!!!

This is a better way to start the day than with coffee, but since I don't have to choose... Cheers     :coffee:    
Thom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
Gentlemen, start your engines!!!

Wow!

This all puts a whole new view on the concept "custom bow" doesn't it?!!!!

Congratulations to the parents of these grand youngsters! Raise em up right!

Kudos to the birth father as well.  Incredible work and to think you took the time to share all these steps from conception to completion!

Truly stunning and amazing!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Those tips are bloody fantastic!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: March 30, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Are they "ambered" in these pics?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: March 30, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Thom  your bow looks outstinding. With all the contrasting wood grains in yours and Johns bow,its hard to say which one I like the best,its a tie both are in first place.
   Congrats to you and John , on picking great woods for Kirk to work his magic on.the proof is in the pics of this thread.
 Iam planning on going to Compton this year maybe "The 3 Amigos"  will run into each other.
   :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©