3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #360 on: March 30, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Beautiful bows guys. I love every combination.
We should have many reports coming up in the near future!

This thread has made me anxious to receive the Sasquatch I bought from Terry Green last week. It should be hear any day.
Your thread hasn't helped the wait but a week goes by pretty quickly.

Enjoy the bows guys. I've enjoyed the thread and look forward to the shooting reports.   :thumbsup:    :archer2:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #361 on: March 30, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Thanks!

If I was walking through a show and saw these bows in the rack...I'd stop!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: March 30, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Elkchaser..

What are you getting?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
Not too shabby for a country boy with a Stihl.
I like and I'm picky.

God bless you all, Steve
Actually I'm a Husky fan myself bro....

Almost time to start cutting up riser blocks again.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Kirk where do you get those huge slabs of lumber?  I assume you'd cut and season most of it yourself, which I am sure is chore.  Down here in the south all we got is pine, oak, and sweetgum trees... so not a lot of bow making wood.

I did see a self bow made of dogwood that was nice, speckled with good grain. But most of that is just white down here. I had even thought of persimmon, but the idea of cutting down a persimmon tree in my woods kinda hurts my feelings.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: March 30, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by arrowlauncherdj:
Kirk where do you get those huge slabs of lumber?  I assume you'd cut and season most of it yourself, which I am sure is chore.  Down here in the south all we got is pine, oak, and sweetgum trees... so not a lot of bow making wood.

I did see a self bow made of dogwood that was nice, speckled with good grain. But most of that is just white down here. I had even thought of persimmon, but the idea of cutting down a persimmon tree in my woods kinda hurts my feelings.
A picture is worth a 1000 words.....this stump is on my neighbors property.

This is what the stuff looks like.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: March 30, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
JEEZ!
Look at that figure!

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Awesome bows guys, congrats! What a cool bowyer!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #369 on: March 30, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Here we go guys.... i was going to call these the 3 amigos but i don't think it fits at all...

I'd say more like the Greek 3 Graces

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Graces?

You send that from an auto-correct smart phone again?  :)

Hey, Kirk... pics never lie...you were sitting on yer kiester...it's all dirty in them pics!

Who "planked" them boards for ya? And how much did that bolt in the top side cost for a new blade?

:scared:    :knothead:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
What's a smart phone?...lol
I don't even have color on my little phone..lol

No buddy, I was referring to one of the Charites.

The 3 sisters..Aglaea, Euphrosyne, and Thalia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charites  

..too bad they didn't have prettier names...lol

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #372 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
If I was "smart" john, I'd not even HAVE a cell phone!

Thanks for the link: says---They ordinarily numbered three, from youngest to oldest: Aglaea ("Splendor"), Euphrosyne ("Mirth"), and Thalia ("Good Cheer").

Well, got that right, Driver! Splendor is your bows, Mirth is that Magician who built them and Good Cheer will be your state of being shooting them gorgeous puppies!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: March 30, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Graces?

You send that from an auto-correct smart phone again?   :)  

Hey, Kirk... pics never lie...you were sitting on yer kiester...it's all dirty in them pics!

Who "planked" them boards for ya? And how much did that bolt in the top side cost for a new blade?

Those are lead bullets Doc. I've ran into them all though this wood. this was nailed to the tree before i fell it.

This Husky has a 28" bar on it. this was a BIG tree!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
I suppose lead is better to hit with a blade than steel or copper jacketed slugs, huh?

I know pics out of reference are suspect, but those slugs look HUGE in diameter!

Firewood? Or potential riser blocks? Nice end table tops off that stump even horizontal cuts

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Missed a bunch while I was gone for work!

I love the tips. I've got the red+bloodwood. Pete's got the black+ebony, and John got it all on his tips!!! I love the pics of them together!

Speaking of a reunion, I've got Comptons blocked on my calendar already so I should be there too! That'll be at least two out of three. How about you Doc?

Congrats Ron, I watched that thread and you've got a great looking bow on the way!
Thom

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I hadn't noticed this thread until today.  I just spent well more than an hour going through all of it. I also looked at several of the videos.

You fellows are getting terrific looking bows!  I had no idea building a bow was so complicated. Putting those limbs together was wild.

Now I'm thinking I should put more thought in the bow Kirk will build for me in July to make sure I get the most out of the custom work he does. On the other hand, I might be well served to just green-light Kirk to build me the bow of HIS dreams, given his great taste?

Kirk, I hope you won't mind saving a spot on the bow for a Bear Compass?  I have a couple of spares looking for a home.

I'm especially excited about the prospects of having a bow built that allows me, with my 26" draw, to get top performance usually reserved for the long-draw guys. I also like the idea of having a grip built that helps me set the bow hand perfectly every time.

Thanks for sharing all this.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: March 30, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Bowild:You fellows are getting terrific looking bows! I had no idea building a bow was so complicated. Putting those limbs together was wild.

Kirk is only showing the sanatized version. Not going into the hours of selecting , grinding and cutting laminations,. wedges and power lams ect. There truly is a lot more work than people appreciate. Especially when the bowyer selects and processes his wood and materials from scratch. Not to mention finding and buying wood. Hours and hours go into this on top of what you are seeing.

God bless you all,
Steve

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Kirk the slab with the lead in it is curly maple isn't it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©