3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Kirk gave me a piece of that wood. I built a bow with the clear piece and man it was beautifu.
Really wild curley maple. I still have a piece of it that is full of bullets. I may build a bow out of it someday for a novelty bow.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by LYONEL:
Kirk the slab with the lead in it is curly maple isn't it?
Yup... western curly maple. i took on several projects harvesting and curing out my own wood and I'll tell you this.... i know why they charge so much for the stuff now. from cutting slabs to a bow riser took about 4-5 months. Getting the stuff from a green moisture content level of about 29-32% to below 20% with out loosing half of it is the tough part.....Fans and lights running constantly for 3 months.... i don't have much time for that stuff anymore.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: March 30, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
sticksandstones....That is a flat out beauty! Hopefully see it in person on that April 3D shoot!!! rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm on deck for one of Kirk's masterpieces!!  Really enjoyed this thread & makes me appreciate even more all the blood, sweat & tears that's goes unto a truly custom bow.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Hey Rat, I'll be at Hog Heaven that weekend so I'll miss the 3D shoot.  I will be at the range pretty much every M,W,F from 6pm til close when I don't have work conflicts. Ping me if you want to be sure I'll be there. This will be my only bow so it'll be a sure thing I'll have it with me if I'm there
   :readit:  
Thom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Check with Centaur and make sure I won't void your warranty if I shoot it [readit]
Thom  
Hey Thom, when you shoot someone elses bow you could try not pulling it quite so far.   :p    :p  

Nothing exciting going on right now guys. It's kinda like watching paint dry    :rolleyes:

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
"Dry Paint Dry"
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
... It's kinda like watching paint dry     :rolleyes:  
Watching stain dry I assume... I wonder if that means there is a chance at a few more teaser pics to get posted this weekend    :pray:

I've given up on shooting other guys bows unless the bowyer says it's good. Just not worth trying to short draw and having muscle memory kick in. Just not worth it.
Thom

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Nice bows Kirk!!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #389 on: March 31, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradbower:
"Dry Paint Dry"
X2

Are we all getting the amber treatment?

I asked for it.

What type of final finish are you guys getting?
I went with the flat/ non-glare textured.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I think the zebra/amber example I saw looked spectacular and let Kirk know that. I also let him know if he saw something else in the grain and colors that lead him to think there was a better choice to run with it.

As for finish, I did not want a gloss since this will be my hunting bow first and foremost. OTOH I didn't want it so dull you couldn't see those veneers! Kirk suggested a process for a "satin" finish that should keep most of the grain pop without turning it into a signalling mirror.

It'll be funny if Pete got the high gloss!

I was thinking of one other thing; I think every bow has gone through at least one change during this build process:
John - radius to flair riser cut
Pete - flush limb bolts
Thom - +7#

I got to wondering, think this many changes is normal, or is it because we are the lucky ones who got to see these coming together at each step in the process?
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Little side project today. Since I've been giving away my bow stringers with the bows I've been selling, I'm now out of longbow stringers. I've been wanting to make my own for a while now combining the best attributes of the different brand ones I've been using. This is just two little pieces of deer leather and some para cord, but if it can tiller my 100# selfbow and fits the tips on the Sasquatch right, it will be my new stringer for this bow!
Thom

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I never really discussed finish with Kirk, but he knows that this bow will be hunted with so I am guessing he will go with a satin finish.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I got looking into some email swaps Kirk and I had.

I guess I did end up going with some type of low glare textured.

I guess he has one "more flat" option that looks more like a hand rubbed oil finish that doesn't really add any depth to the grain.

At first that flat finish sounded the best...then as things went on and veneers were added etc I didn't want to use a finish that didn't highlight the grain.

So I did end up with the next step up from that in "glossyness".

I'm not sure what it's called but basically left it as a finish that has texture, adds depth, and has low glare.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:

I was thinking of one other thing; I think every bow has gone through at least one change during this build process:
John - radius to flair riser cut
Pete - flush limb bolts
Thom - +7#

I got to wondering, think this many changes is normal, or is it because we are the lucky ones who got to see these coming together at each step in the process?
Thom
I think we're all pretty darn lucky here.

I know one thing,...My bow went through...well lets just say a "few" changes before the build was started.

I felt bad every time I made a change, but Kirk took it all in stride.

My problem is I jumped the gun to get on the list before the wait times got longer and didn't take the time to totally think through..or even know enough to ask about all the options.

Heck, I didn't even realize that having a flair back on a one piece WAS an option until Kirk sent me a pic with proposed profile showing the flaired look....darn happy he did.

Honestly, ( and I feel a bit embarrassed saying this ) if Kirk has more than the occasional customer like myself, I really don't know how he survives keeping all this stuff straight by himself.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Hey guys, I haven't kicked the bucket on you. i'll be out in the shop till midnight tonight spraying clear coat. i got side tracked this weekend with some domestic obligations and didn't near as far as i thought i would.  

i got a bit of color here for you John.... actually i cot a bit of color on all 3 but the pics in the spray booth of Pete's and Thom's riser didn't come out.... tomorrow i'll have some finished product photos and start setting the bows up with new strings and such.

I'll be shipping on Tuesday. depending on whether you want some testing done before i send her home.

Btw.... i still have about 4 coats of clear to go on this John. at this stage the photos doesn't do it justice.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
ooo la la !   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Holy smokes!!! Look at those beauties!!!

Hey John, I didn't dare go all the way back to my initial order and my deposit on a: 56" Yeti, riser tbd, boo/black glass limbs. It would be too embarrassing to talk about that publicly  :)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
uuummmm........lol

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Looks like the last steps of this journey is about to begin. Kirk great  job on all the bows.  :bigsmyl:  
Dry paint dry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©