3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7284 times)

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Kirk I didnt realize black glass is faster than clear, but with my short draw I will take all the help I can get  :archer2:  With all the snow out that way he will need a few more logs and more coffee.  :D
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Yeah Pete, I've heard people say putting black glass front and back, then stuffing the middle with bamboo lams is the highest performance combo you can get without using carbon. I don't know if it's true or not, but one of my bows is like this and it's a shooter! Maybe Kirk will chime in his two cents on this.
Thom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
OK guys put your bibs on and cover your key boards so you don't slobber all over them....

First of all here is Pete's riser block.

I know.... i know... she may look a little plain Jane in this form Pete.... BUT.... check out the end grain on this thing. This stuff is running off on a 45 degree angle.  

You might be saying, "So what???"... what this means is it's going to do some wild things when i shape you grip.... That's what.

while we are on your stuff Pete here are some walnut lams I'm thinking of using between that black glass. this stuff is ultra light weight and will turn up the performance a bit from bamboo cores.

Of course it's your choice if you'd rather have bamboo...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Your next John.... you got a big choice to make here. these are the bocote veneers i have on hand.
The strips are darker colored with a bit wilder grain pattern.... But.... the large veneer has a very nice figured ripple that will show up nicely under glass.....

Take your time.... you've got a few days to make up your mind here...   :biglaugh:   Good luck on this one...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
that IS going to be a pretty riser Pete.
very cool to have the 45˚ cut
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Dang Kirk....lol
That ripple will be a pretty one...but...well jeez....lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
that IS going to be a pretty riser Pete.
very cool to have the 45˚ cut
Heck yeah! That riser with the black fang lines and black glass. Should be sweet!
Thom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Thom, your next...

Now this stuff may not excite a lot of folks. but to a bowyer, this is some to die for Yew wood for core stock. Pacific Yew wood cores have the closest flexibility and strength properties I've found to bamboo, only its lighter in mass weight.
it's tough to find it absolutely clear of small pin knots like this stuff.

The combination of Yew wood and Zebra is going to make a seriously smooth drawing, very quick set of limbs.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Yew and longbows makes sense to me, doubly true when I'm ordering one from the Pacific Northwest!

It feels almost criminal to cover these up, I can't see anything but what looks like a couple little sharpie marks on these! I know I haven't looked at wood grains as much as many, but this looks fantastic compared to any yew I've seen before. I am in awe.

Thank you for telling me that you had this tucked away, and thank you for snapping a few pictures before it gets pressed between the veneers!
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Poor John, that boy has some tough decisions to make!
Thom

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Sticks you have it made , just sit back and wait for the finished product, John  and myself have to make some decisions. Should I go with Walnut or grass for the core and John has to pick a veneer.  :banghead:    :banghead:  I have to agree I think that block of Zebrawood is going to make a fantastic looking riser. John what ever veneer you choose its going to look good.
Kirk I will let you know my choice very soon still thinking.  :banghead:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
These yew cores was my bow's little secret I hinted at on the first page. For months I couldn't wait to see them, and I still can't wait to shoot them!!! I wonder if Sixby is still watching this thread?

Those tough choices the two of you are working on will just add to the enjoyment of this thread for me, and anyone else following it! I look forward to seeing what you guys choose!
Thom

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
I think it is harder to order a bow then a truck.  This is a pretty cool thread.  Please keep it going with more pics along the way.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
those strips of yew are some of the cleanest wood of any kind I've seen in a long time...excellent!

Jeez that is some seriously cool zebra veneers.

....I'm still thinking about my enviable decision to make.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
IDK Mike, it only took me six months to figure out this bow. I have been driving this prius since '08 trying to figure out what my next truck will be... BTW thanks for not killing off all the pigs at Ray's place last weekend, I'm sure it took a huge amount of restraint to leave a few for me. I enjoyed the stories, and I look forward to the ones you haven't published yet!

John, you lucky dog, you'll probably get to shoot those yew limbs sometime soon! The great news about your veneers is that they all look good! It's just picking the ones YOU like and enjoying them in the years to come. Not a bad set in there from my perspective.

The looks of your limbs is one thing, but I'm wondering what Pete is going to decide between the boo and walnut. Seems like he's got the really tough choice ahead of him!

However it shakes out, we are three very lucky guys.
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
We are lucky..no doubt about it.

Never shot a yew cored bow..looking forward to it!

Never shot a walnut core either, but that's what's coming to my place.

Looking forward to you showing me how well my bow can shoot...just don't try that crazy 32" draw on it...lol   :eek:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
made the decision...
That ripple is gonna haunt me a bit...I mean dang I just turned down curly bocote..   "[dntthnk]"

But I really do have a thing for crazy grain.
Too much, too busy for some...but I like it.  

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
That's right....   :scared:    :scared:

You still want those Purple heart wedges don't you John?

I wonder if Sixby is still watching this thread?  
i think Steve is using the same Yew wood that i am. then again... he may have gone though that batch.

Hey Thom... I can always put the Zebra in the core and have the yew under glass.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
???!!!     :saywhat:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I'm just pulling your leg John....   :laughing:  

that's ok on that figured stuff. I've got a bocote riser in stock I'll use it on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©