3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7287 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #460 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
That worked a little better, here's the first couple shots!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Funny, coming to the end of the journey for us and Kirk is just starting up again!

Congrats on making it to the bench Gery, hope you got something cool on order!
Thom

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: April 04, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Hey Thom it looks like you have a winner.Even in the video with no silencers it sounded quiet.
and we know it's fast!!!!  
    :bigsmyl:  
   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: April 04, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Gery I hope you didnt order the aluminum riser  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  
 Congrats on being up next.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: April 04, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Pete, it's as quiet and fast as it is beautiful to look at. Truly a marvel!!! Heading to the range for an extra long night there! So glad I decided to build arrows last night!
Thom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: April 04, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradbower:
Sounds like a plan, I will be looking for video Thom.
 Thanks for the update Kirk, hope it makes it Saturday.   :pray:      :pray:      :pray:    What did the testing look like?
She's on her way Pete! I'm just running the DFC chart right now.....and.... i think you will be pleased with this one.... I am.

OH.... John... NOW i'm happy with yours too.   ;)

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: April 04, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk, these last few days are always the longest when waiting for a bow.
 If you are pleased then Iam sure I will be also.
    Thanks Again

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
For those that have just seen a Squatch in action for the first time you can see why I have been reccomending these bows. They are the real deal. Super quiet even without any silencers or special tuning. Great look and blazing fast. I don't know what the speed is on that bow of Sidekicks but I would bet it is faster than most fast recurves. BTW, I have some pics of Kirks new bow testing machine and it is just pretty neat.

The bow being tested on it was right at a triple digit mark and hitting the exact same number every shot. That says a bunch about a bow and also about the testing equipment.
Congratulations to you all that got one of these and to those that have them coming.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Wow, after 157 shots I'm close to speechless.

I took it to the range tonight and it got the close up inspection by a bunch of archers. Everyone was very impressed with the looks of the bow, and how incredibly even and smooth the draw is. All of them are 30" draw or less, so looking at the DFC chart I knew they'd say that.

One veteran did really look hard at the string groove vs limb contact of the string but he thought it would pass for "longbow only" events.

I started shooting it and my guess arrow setup was hitting close to center, and my pulled shots were equally high/low and left/right. My very first night I shot it better with it than the recurve I've been shooting for a year.

Kirk, that grip is PERFECT! THANK YOU! I can't believe you did that without me standing in your shop and talking grips for a day or two!

The D10 10 strand SBD string is great, I'm so glad I have one. I think I'll do up a pair of D97s tomorrow with 10 strands each and the center serving more to my tastes, but I might need to look at some newer materials. That SBD is nice and small, and it didn't creep a 64th all night. Great testament to the material and the string maker!

That's all I can rattle off for tonight, but a review, pictures, video will be coming soon!
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Been gone all day and missed a LOT!

Great vids Thom.

I would've been quaking in my boots by the look of that box too..lol.

Really good to see you happy.

Guess you're up next Pete!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
So much for discretion Brutha Steve.     :rolleyes:    

I think i better explain a bit about my testing on these things before just randomly posting numbers.

I'm very close to having a state of the art professional testing system built, but the computer interface is still in progress.

For now I'm using a Hooter Shooter with an infared light kit, and testing these bows using random weight arrows between 8.5 -10 GPP at these guys particular draw lengths.

I've done the DFC charts for you guys taking the measurements with a digital scale as accurately as possible. and if you choose to share them on line i can post them for you, or you can.

But please keep something in mind here. The chronograph readings shooting with fingers will always vary from one archer to the next depending on their shooting style and arrow weights. And 3 identical bows may have slightly different speeds depending on the woods used in the limbs, backing of glass or carbon, and the draw length they are tested at.

here's my testing machine without the computer interface set up.

When i have my full testing facility up and running this will be much more accurate than it is now.

Check out this one... i caught the arrow in flight.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: April 04, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
sweet pic man!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: April 04, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
ding ding ding

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: April 05, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
Kirk, My aspologies Bro. I didn't know I was doing wrong.

That pic of the arrow in flight is one of the neatest ones I have seen. It looks like a string.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: April 05, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
Have fun Gery!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Well as long as this is all in the open. Here is an example of some of the data collected by the contraption:

I also have a spreadsheet with all the raw data. Stuff like: the draw weight at each inch out to the second decimal place, stored energy, kinetic energy, arrow specs for test, bow details at test, etc, etc. Thanks for the sneak peak at the rig and you testing my bow. It was great to observe your testing environment and procedure.

This is all cool and everything for my engineer brain, but this bow also passed my cave man test last night which is actually FAR more important to me as a hunter:
Pick up the bow, feels good in the hand.
Shoot an arrow, it goes where you point.
Go get arrow, find it buried deep in the target.
Thom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Science is fun stuff, Thom, and I like that the builder knows his science behind his choices.

But the real proof is in the pudding and that is how it fits one's paw and how it behaves when put thru it's paces.

You can't "TUNE" in what isn't in the scope of the bow to provide... well, maybe you can get a perfectly tuned arrow, but you're going to sacrifice a lot if there are inherent design flaws in the bow/limbs combo.

And that is MY cave man assesment!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Sounds like we pretty much see it the same way!

BTW I talked to Kirk earlier and we went through a few points in detail. I was quite surprised how much thought and testing went into a few things that I thought were very minor. He is the man with a plan! (And some templates, and quality materials, and a scary chainsaw and die grinder....)

Really want to play hookie today and go stumping! Looking forward to hearing from Pete, maybe tomorrow!
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
But how cool is it to have both!..the cave man and the digital man info.

I got one of those charts too...but I can't do the cave man test yet    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:    lol

This is worse than the few days before the season opener....   :eek:    :eek:

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: April 05, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
:saywhat:  The last few days are the longest,when waiting for a new bow ,when ya know the bow is on its way!!!!
 Like John said cant wait to do the "CAVE MAN TEST"
 For my draw length the numbers look very good,just hope I can do my part.
 Have a few  different arrows ready to try, have my fingers crossed it makes it here by Saturday.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©