3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7279 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #500 on: April 06, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Wow Pete, I'm bummed to hear that. Hopefully tomorrow!

I did buy a case for this today, the Neet strung recurve case was the best fit in the shop but it isn't 100% to my liking. Making a case will have to wait until after my pig trip!

Got home from the trad shop, my yellow D97 was in my mailbox, so now I've got a chore for tonight! I like this SBD D10, but I really like making my own for exactly the bow it will be used on.

Did another 150 shots tonight including a bunch of broadhead tests. I'm going to run those Zwickey Delta 170 grain heads for this pig hunt. The arrow was stable with them from 5-25 yards and poking through the back of the target on every test shot! Total arrow weight is 650 grains, this puts me around 11gpp. I tried a setup at 10gpp with a 125 up front but I wasn't getting the same penetration. Big news from tonight, I decided I'm only taking this bow on my hunt. I'm not even packing my recurve as a backup.

Last news from today is a tiny bit less than awesome, that buckskin was a little too soft and it got pretty tore up at the range tonight. It was slick enough and dead quiet, so that was good. I'm going to print a real template and put a little toothpick under it and try again. I've slated two more hours of range time tomorrow so I better get to working on these leather pieces and twisting up a new string!

Can you believe there are 500 posts on this thread already?
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #501 on: April 06, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Sorry about the buckskin not being resilient enough for you buddy.

But I'm happy for you that you have such confidence in this bow already!

...ooooohhh..I just got a update from USPS.  MONDAY IS the day for me...if everything holds true...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #502 on: April 06, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Will do on the walnut iohkus. Had not heard much about it as a core wood. Was also leaning towards bamboo.

Any one have thoughts on the G-10 I-beam?

I feel your pain guys, waiting for delivery seems to take forever. But I am sure it will be well worth the wait looking at the pics, drool drool.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #503 on: April 07, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
The walnut is a bit lighter weight than bamboo which makes the bow a tad bit quicker. i think you'd be hard pressed feeling the difference between the two in draw smoothness..... but... some guys just love bamboo. i build most all my stock bows with it.

In your case Gery, with a bocote footed riser. riser flex shouldn't be an issue at 52 pounds, so the G-10 isn't really necessary..... but it adds mass weight to the riser, and looks kinda cool.   :thumbsup:   ...

Please let me know soon if you want a change made. We need to start swapping some email here.  

Kirk

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #504 on: April 07, 2012, 05:09:00 AM »
Thanks Kirk, will send email.
Gery
shoot straight shoot often

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #505 on: April 07, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
Man, it is posts like this that make me all the more anxious for mine.  Just 3 more months   :(
Thanks for all the great photos and comments guys.  Always something to learn.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #506 on: April 07, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
HEY GERY I HAVE TWO OF KIRKS BOWS ONE WITH SINGLE CARBON AND ZEBRA WOOD CORES AND THE OTHER IS TRIPLE CARBON WITH FOAM CORES.BOTH SHOT GREAT AND I DONT THINK YOU WILL GO WRONG WITH EITHER CORE YOUR THINKING ABOUT. FOAM IS A OPTION AND WILL LIGHTEN THE WEIGHT IN THE LIMBS AND IS VERY DURABLE, JUST ANOTHER THOUGH. GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW TOY.      :bigsmyl:

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #507 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
WOW IT GOT REALLY LOUD IN HERE!!!

I had to redo those leather tracks, couldn't help myself. Two hours of splitting bamboo, sanding, cutting and shaving leather, etc, I finally came out with this

They look less like tracks than the last set, but it's even slicker and the point of contact for the arrow is insanely small! Coffee break, then I gotta get twisting some fast flight!
   :coffee:    :coffee:
Thom

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #508 on: April 07, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Looking good Thom, now the next step is to make some bacon.  Good Luck!!!
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #509 on: April 07, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Of course I like the looks of Kirk's bows (I'm a recurve fan).  But I was drawn to get on the build list by Kirk's specialty for building to my draw length. I am more than a little intrigued with the possibility of maximizing performance in this bow. I'm hoping to have a bow that feels like mid to high 40's but shoots like a low to mid-50# draw weight? It appears I'll be going with 3X Carbon and Foam cores.

Because I love fancy woods I'll be wanting exotic veneers on at least the bow back and maybe black glass on the face or belly. I don't know (I'll take Kirk's advice) if the I or G Beams will be necessary for my bow. It will be around 48#@26" so maybe not?

The toughest choices for me are going to be the exotic woods (Macassar or White ebony for the riser?)and the limb bolt system (hidden, sunken, or standard? On the other hand, I have bows with myrtle limb veneers and plenty with macassar or cocobolo in the risers. I might want this bow to be completely different from what I have.

I love the narrow grip throat on one of the bows featured in this build thread.

This is my favorite thread since I've been on Trad Gang and I've never even seen a Sasquatch bow except in pictures!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #510 on: April 07, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Almost 3 hours to build that string! Wow I'm slow! I went with 10 strands of D97 with loops padded to 14 as I planned:
Bundle 1 = 4 black/1 red, padding is 2 red
Bundle 2= 4 yellow/1 red, padding is 1yellow/1 red
Serving = yellow #4, same for the tied nock point

I snapped this after finishing the first loop:

Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #511 on: April 07, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
New string for the Sasquatch!!! Gonna go stretch it out now!

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #512 on: April 07, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
The Mail Lady just stopped at my place, the Sasquatch made it, opened package to make sure all was in good order .  :bigsmyl:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #513 on: April 07, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Grass!?
You're gonna cut the grass FIRST!!!?
   :eek:    :eek:

You are one strongly responsible dude!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #514 on: April 07, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
Grass!?
You're gonna cut the grass FIRST!!!?
    :eek:      :eek:  

You are one strongly responsible dude!
Or...he may have had to make a few concessions on the home front to even get to ORDER such a gorgeous bow!   :eek:    :D  

Whatever it takes to keep the home fires warm and waters calm!   :rolleyes:  

But I think I'd be shooting in the house if it were ME!  :knothead:    :goldtooth:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #515 on: April 07, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Well it didnt take as long as I thought it would to finish the grass!  :bigsmyl:   :bigsmyl:I got to shoot a few dozen arrows.
  This Bow is
AAAWWWWSOME, it shoots where Iam looking, the grip is perfect, its to bad I dont have  a little more time to fine tune some arrows for my pig hunt. Iam leaving 5AM tomorrow and with packing and the HONEY DOS Iam running out of time.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #516 on: April 07, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Pete ,
That AWSOME!!!!!!  Sounds really good.   :campfire:  

Good luck with the piglets.

Sticks, That is one really cool
Easter Bow string. I likeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #517 on: April 07, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Nice looking string Thom.
Wish you both the greatest luck on your hunts!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #518 on: April 07, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Hey Thom.... give that fancy string a few more twists bro, If you get that string off the back of the limb, it takes the buzz out of it.

Glad to here she made it Pete.    :thumbsup:   If old butter fingers here wouldn't have dinged up the finis you'd have had it sooner.   :rolleyes:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #519 on: April 07, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
"back" of the limb, or belly?  :dunno:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©