3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7300 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
15 mins ago you told me to relax and enjoy the ride...

Now I'm getting purple accents!?

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
Of course I am following this thread. Kirk is right. I have the same yew. I am building two bows with it right now. one a Talon recurve with paradox walnut and macassar and another belly mounted D and R with triple carbon and yew cores. That one is paradox walnut and yew. I seriously love yew accents in a riser.
You guys are getting some super nice bows here. I really love those bocate veneers you chose. Purple heart wedges are really cool.  :thumbsup:  Ha ha. I have used them with yew and sage and they do look good with those woods. yellow and purple are complimentary colors.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »
Aw Maaaan!  That was it!  It was Thom that wanted the purple wedges to go with the yew..... hee-hee   :jumper:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
mmmmmm...paradox walnut...mmmmm

I just plain love neat wood grain.

Thanks Stephen..I hope I made the right choice...don't really think I could've gone wrong either way.

I can definitely see how yew and purple heart could look really nice together.

I've thought that tulip wood with a little purple heart accents could look really nice too.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
We must have similar tastes John, because I would have picked the same ones. Not that you had any chance of going wrong with any of those. I haven't shot a walnut core bow myself, I don't recall ever noticing it as an option but I see it on he ordering form now that I'm looking at it.

For me, I'm perfectly happy with the zebra/bocote/blood wood combo. No need to go changing a great thing as I think the bow will look awesome this way. (BTW I thought my tips were going to be bocote over blood wood if I didn't do the antler tip upgrade. Maybe Kirk is pulling my leg now.)

I shared a hunting camp with Jay St Charles a while back and we got to talking yew, it was quite an education! Understanding how rare it is to find completely clear yew grain, you are two lucky fellas to have some of this on hand! Now that yew under some clear glass on a long Boot Hill with some purple heart.... Too bad I declared my "one bow" aspiration publicly    :knothead:  
Thom

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
Picking wood combinations  I think is probably harder than picking the right bow I keep changing my mind on want combination I want for my Sasquatch order in a couple of months. I know bacote will be one of them but I've choppeded & changed my mind on the other several times. Good thing is still have acouple of months.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
If there is a single place on the planet where the ownership of multiple bows is accepted...no matter what declarations were made...it's here!

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Now I know why I went with black glass!!!!   Less wood combos to pick.  :goldtooth:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
:help:     :help:   lol

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
What wonderful problems to have! Speaking of, what do you think about your bamboo/walnut quandary Pete?

Lyonel, if you want to get Kirk going, you need to ask him if you can buy this one from him    

Sorry Kirk, I couldn't help myself.  :)  What combo is your bow, rosewood/walnut? I can't recall.
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
WEll Iam going to go with the walnut cores, I need  all the help I can get with this short draw .  :D

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Cool Pete!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradbower:
WEll Iam going to go with the walnut cores, I need  all the help I can get with this short draw .   :D  
I'm really hoping we get to see some video of Kirk or you shooting this bow when it's done! I want to see how he does the limbs for your draw length on a bow designed for an already high brace height.
Thom

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I have shot Kirk's bow, and it shoots every bit as good as it looks.

You guys on Kirk's build list are in for a real treat.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:

Originally posted by tradbower:
WEll Iam going to go with the walnut cores, I need  all the help I can get with this short draw .    :D  
I'm really hoping we get to see some video of Kirk or you shooting this bow when it's done! I want to see how he does the limbs for your draw length on a bow designed for an already high brace height.
Thom [/b]
Good choice Pete. Walnut is very strong and light.

Misconception on the brace heightin that Not all foreward riser bows have high brace. My Sasquatch from Kirk is right at 7 inches;

My own foreward riser bows all have brace heights from 6 1/2to 7 1/4 inches.

On top of that the Sasquatch is one of the quietest most stable bows I have ever shot. Kirk has a really great limb design with high early weight that stabilizes at a low brace. The string on my Sasquatch is 59 inches on a 62 in recurve bow.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Hey Pete,

Keep in mind i build these things "Draw length specific" .... That 58" of yours will brace as low as 6" and still have good preload. I'll bet the sweet spot runs 6.25" to 6.75" on that bow.

Another thing to remember is that this thing will stack like cord wood at 27-28" when i get done with it. So when someone asks to shoot your bow.... Just say "No"

Here's a Douglas fir/ wenge veneer under clear glass Thom... this stuff looks identical to Yew wood under glass once it darkens up.

The wood leaning up in my shop is my Yew stash your veneers came from.

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
It's funny you mentioned trying to buy kirk's bow it was the on I modeled my footed riser on  

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Yes Kirk I know what you are talking about, we tossed around brace height when I was placing order.Even like  with Sixbys  Talon, being draw specific,  I have had to refuse some of my freinds shooting it, some are even bigger than Sasquatch. They have to go to the four corners to turn around,

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Am I the only one who gets an excited/tingly feeling when seeing an email like this.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©